Gene Chizik on Tennessee's QB competition: Guarantano does have the locker room

The problem with having our locker room is that the door says Opportunity Is Nowhere. Hope Jarret can put the gap back between the doors.

I kinda like listening to Chizik tho. Guys been there recently and seems to have a real opinion.

Wasn’t spoken to Vols qb topic but Saban has perfect answer to Starks on Bama qb dilemma, though much different than UT....qb needs to be the distributor of the ball where the offense runs thru them, not that they have to shoulder obligation to make all the plays. This will be who starts for us. Who can get the ball deep efficiently to Callaway, while also dumping the ball down to chandler, and who has the team’s confidence. We have more OL talent and probably a nastier disposition this year, so a qb who matches this mentality may get us to 7 wins this year.

Reactions: 2 people
The problem with having our locker room is that the door says Opportunity Is Nowhere. Hope Jarret can put the gap back between the doors.

I kinda like listening to Chizik tho. Guys been there recently and seems to have a real opinion.

It actually hasnt said that since Dooley...but good try.

Reactions: 4 people
And the people who saw him last year knows if that's indeed true we're in for another looooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg season.

The only assumption that can be made about this year’s team based off last year’s team is to expect better results.

Eventually the athlete playing the game needs to be held accountable for their performance. Can't blame everything on the coaches no matter how trendy or easy it is to do..

Cant blame all of the losses on JG either, but you sure keep trying.

Reactions: 3 people
My two cents; JG was the top dual threat QB in his recruiting class. Got his panties in a wad after Jones didn't give him an opportunity in the kick-off game last year, became the starter after Dormady got hurt, Got hurt himself and became a sitting duck for defenses, and nowhere during that whole series of events was he mentored or developed under a QB coach. If you watched the O and W game, he looked worlds better with the development under Helton. To be touched and down in a scrimmage game is worlds apart from pressure in a real game. He had a long run in the O and W game that showed he has some wheels. Lets all wipe the slate clean from the Jones era and get behind these guys. I think we are gonna be pleasantly surprised by them.

Reactions: 1 person
It only makes sense the team is looking to JG now because he started last year and they know him, so I wouldn't read too much into that statement.

I was talking to a player the other day and he spoke very highly of Chryst and said "he just has it" referring to his presence and leadership. Don't know what that means in terms of owning the locker room, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion. "Having the locker room" can change quickly if JG is being outperformed by Chryst (or someone else) during camp this summer.

Reactions: 1 person
It actually hasnt said that since Dooley...but good try.

No, it was still there all through Jones’ 5 year tenure, that’s been well documented. Not sure if Pruitt and Fulmer have changed it....surely they have by now.

You sound pretty sus. :ermm: :blink:

Don't be embarrassed bro, we all have our preferences. Just wish yours wasn't towards a college kid, but in your eyes it's legal so all is well.

I've said this a million times, I don't particularly like how JG acted on the sidelines and needed his mom to defend him, but him winning the job would be the best thing for us. Gives us QB stability for a few yrs and if he doesn't win the job I doubt he stays here. Then we have problems with QB experience next year. Plus JG turning it around is a great recruiting tool for Helton. Would show his ability to turn QB's play around and that only helps in recruiting QB's. Best thing for Vol football is for JG to win the job. Yes I think your obsession is weird AF and race based, but that isn't JG's fault. You're just one of those dudes that drives a creeper van with boarded up Windows and Barry White playing in your tape deck. But again that's not Jarrett's fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back