Former Vanderbilt QB Jordan Rodgers: Guarantano might have the best arm talent in SEC

I've said it a million times this offseason ... JG is being dramatically underrated.

For having played banged up in a nightmare offense with no O-line protection and hardly anyone to throw to, JG's stats are pretty dang good. Get him some real coaching and he has the potential to be elite.

Reactions: 22 people
I've said it a million times this offseason ... JG is being dramatically underrated.

For having played banged up in a nightmare offense with no O-line protection and hardly anyone to throw to, JG's stats are pretty dang good. Get him some real coaching and he has the potential to be elite.

Minus the whole scoring touchdowns, winning games, and 2:1 TD to INT record part...but yeah..those stats..that completion % brah!

Reactions: 2 people
Minus the whole scoring touchdowns, winning games, and 2:1 TD to INT record part...but yeah..those stats..that completion % brah!

Those stats also depend on the others catching the TDs, and the coaches calling the right plays all of which helping to win games, but let's forget it's a team sport.

Reactions: 10 people
Not surprised. People without agendas that watched last year know he has a great arm. The problem was the line plus holding the ball too long. He was good besides the internal clock needing to speed up.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah it’s always interesting hearing people put down (insert QB/receiver/or RB name here) and not take into account what they were working with. For instance, a very underrated line, absolutely terrible play calling. Which that’s another thing I’d like to say thank god we can now call out BJ terrible game prep and offense and not be blasted. It’s one thing to be behind whatever coach holds the title, but to completely ignore or try and prop up said coach despite ample evidence to contradict... you are being dumb.

Funny how players seemed to leave BJ and explode big time at other schools or the NFL. Anyone heard of J.J. Watt, whom BJ tried to put him at offensive tackle, so he left and the rest is history. Or a young man in his first year in the NFL won ROY by the name of Alvin Kamara. When you have talent and run the same plays over and over again that don’t produce, and are predictable by opposing teams defense, then add in under developed players then it’s a little difficult for talent to shine.

Reactions: 3 people
dude had Butch Jones as a HC, was thrown into a complete **** show last season to suddenly carry our team after Butch lost it, had a complete moron as a "QB" coach, had a TE coach calling plays...it was a perfect disaster of a season. Given those circumstances, i think he did ok. I think with a REAL coach like Helton mentoring him and a REAL coach like Pruitt applying the right amount of pressure to motivate him, i think he can be the guy we need.

Reactions: 10 people
I've never really thought much of Rogers as an analyst, but I hope he's right here and our offense can shock some people!

Reactions: 1 person
JG has the athletic ability to be a great QB. He will get his shot during game 1 unless for some reason he regresses in Fall Camp.

I do think people need to watch for JT Shrout, he has added weight in one month to edge JG in the lbs department. (doesn't really mean anything, but shows dedication just in a month) He does have a live arm and it'll be interesting seeing him throwing to college receivers.

Also, Chryst is prototypical NFL QB size. If Chryst increases his accuracy and consistency it will be hard to keep him off the field.

These are great problems to have in the QB area at UT. It's going to be an exciting season.

Reactions: 1 person
For reasons I can't explain, I went to the TN-Vandy game last year. I'm not sure how many of you were there but the TN O, and particularly JG was very sharp the first 2 series. Drove right down the field twice and scored. Vey good passing attack and JG looked great.
Vandy answered both of the TN touchdowns with TDs of their own and it looked to me like TN just quit. I know I wasn't on the field but it seemed as though our guys subconsciously decided it was too much effort to keep fighting and Vandy clearly wanted the win more than we did.
This isn't really a critique of that game--it's just my view that JG can be really good if the team plays hard and plays 4 quarters which I think they will under Pruitt's leadership. I think JG is going to have a good year, assuming the OL line is average or better.

Wasn't there a stat floating around a few weeks ago that JG had the 3rd highest completion percentage in the SEC after you take away drops and QB hurries?

If he learns to get rid of the ball quicker and maintain his composure under pressure, we'll be fine. Let's not forget he was a freshman last year... I've also been saying he's underrated. I think he'll be considered one of the best QBs in the SEC by years end.

Wasn't there a stat floating around a few weeks ago that JG had the 3rd highest completion percentage in the SEC after you take away drops and QB hurries?

If he learns to get rid of the ball quicker and maintain his composure under pressure, we'll be fine. Let's not forget he was a freshman last year... I've also been saying he's underrated. I think he'll be considered one of the best QBs in the SEC by years end.

He was a redshirt freshman.

dude had Butch Jones as a HC, was thrown into a complete **** show last season to suddenly carry our team after Butch lost it, had a complete moron as a "QB" coach, had a TE coach calling plays...it was a perfect disaster of a season. Given those circumstances, i think he did ok. I think with a REAL coach like Helton mentoring him and a REAL coach like Pruitt applying the right amount of pressure to motivate him, i think he can be the guy we need.

This is the basis of my opinion that JG will exceed expectations this season. There's no way you go from Mike Canales to Tyson Helton as your position coach without getting a lot better. Having a former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback on staff is also a plus.

VN Store

Back