Tennessee Vols WR Marquez Callaway explains an area where Butch Jones failed

Im not completely sure but what is described in that article is a difference in "Maturity."

I refuse to believe Butch didn't personally micro manage maturity reps at practice.

Individuals shouldn't have gotten to leadership reps without having completed one-on-one maturity assignments.

Reactions: 1 person
Well! Well! Well! I see the subject is still about Georgia, huh? Of course they are scared...I’ve been saying it all along. Smart can’t beat Pruitt...:):lolabove::eek:lol:

You cannot lose 31 players to graduation out of a rostered 85 without significant chemistry changes that affect your team in big ways. That's what UGA is facing this season. Talent, yes they have it. But I for one expect a slump this season for the dawgs.They'll lose games this season which last year's team would have won is my prediction. They'll still be good, just not up to par with last season's team is my prediction. More often than not team chemistry takes a slump after a very successful season, especially if over a third of the successful crew is not there.

Reactions: 2 people
The story Pruitt told about Eli Wolf was pretty funny too.

First time Pruitt met Wolf, he thought he was an athletic trainer or a member of the support staff. He asked him what position he played, said tight end. Pruitt asked him if he can block. Wolf responds he can run a 4.5. Pruitt told him if he wanted to play tight end here, he'd have to block.

That sounds like a critique, and it is, but he went on to say that he'd really improved his blocking and physical play over the spring and he's one of the four players that went to Media Days.

Reactions: 2 people
As it turns out, that 247 writer a couple years ago who wrote the scathing article with “anonymous” sources within the Athletic Department about Jones was 100% right. He caught a ton of flak on here, but he was dead on the money. Jones was insecure, erratic, ultimately fostered an awful, toxic culture and was not able to successfully manage a program the size and scope of Tennessee, and the anonymous quotes about Jones from his article were spot on.

Last edited:
As it turns out, that 247 writer a couple years ago who wrote the scathing article with “anonymous” sources within the Athletic Department about Jones was 100% right. He caught a ton of flak on here, but he was dead on the money. Jones was insecure, erratic, ultimately fostered an awful, toxic culture and was not able to successfully manage a program the size and scope of Tennessee, and the anonymous quotes about Jones from his article were spot on.

I remember reading that and thinking how spot on he was.

Did I miss something in the article? This writer took one statement and extrapolated an entire (albeit short) article from it. We knew Jones relied on "team" discipline, this is nothing new, but some of the rest of the crap being spouted here is as bad as the article.

I remember reading that and thinking how spot on he was.

Me, too. At that point, after the awful 2016 season-ending beatdown loss to Vanderbilt, when Jones wouldn’t even face the media after the game that helped wreck an incredibly disappointing season, it seemed pretty dang evident that the article was 100% spot on. Yet, plenty posters and other vol fans ran that guy through the mud.....a lot of people don’t like the truth, especially when they don’t agree with it.

Me, too. At that point, after the awful 2016 season-ending beatdown loss to Vanderbilt, when Jones wouldn’t even face the media after the game that helped wreck an incredibly disappointing season, it seemed pretty dang evident that the article was 100% spot on. Yet, plenty posters and other vol fans ran that guy through the mud.....a lot of people don’t like the truth, especially when they don’t agree with it.

let us not forget that BJ was a known jackleg...by most everyone except a significant contingent of Tennessee fans.

LINK

But let's keep perspective here. That first season where BJ produced a team that produced few penalties and won 9 games appeared like he and the program turned a corner. The bad UF loss looked like an outlier. Granted the following season we were 5-0 (defeats of UGA & UF both) when we rolled up against TA&M and the wheels fell off. That previous season and when we were 5-0, there were VERY few in that choir singing about how bad a coach BJ was, VERY effin' few. Before the start of the 2016 season, after having lost to Vandy the previous year lots of rumblings and dissatisfaction coupled with the anonymous NFL scout who was quoted about the "soft" UT team. Few were happy with how that 2016 season turned out and 2017 was the end unless BJ pulled a rabbit out of his hat. He produced not mediocrity his last season but a shiznit show. So there was not a bunch of people early on clued in to what BJ was. True some dumped him earlier than others but again, when we were 5-0 and had defeated both UF and UGA, his detractors here at VN were VERY effin' few and far between. He WAS a joke all along turns out, but he sure didn't look like one for about a season and half of his tenure on The Hill.

But let's keep perspective here. That first season where BJ produced a team that produced few penalties and won 9 games appeared like he and the program turned a corner. The bad UF loss looked like an outlier. Granted the following season we were 5-0 (defeats of UGA & UF both) when we rolled up against TA&M and the wheels fell off. That previous season and when we were 5-0, there were VERY few in that choir singing about how bad a coach BJ was, VERY effin' few. Before the start of the 2016 season, after having lost to Vandy the previous year lots of rumblings and dissatisfaction coupled with the anonymous NFL scout who was quoted about the "soft" UT team. Few were happy with how that 2016 season turned out and 2017 was the end unless BJ pulled a rabbit out of his hat. He produced not mediocrity his last season but a shiznit show. So there was not a bunch of people early on clued in to what BJ was. True some dumped him earlier than others but again, when we were 5-0 and had defeated both UF and UGA, his detractors here at VN were VERY effin' few and far between. He WAS a joke all along turns out, but he sure didn't look like one for about a season and half of his tenure on The Hill.

A lot of people were still with Jones after the UF and UGA wins in 2016. I can honestly tell you I was done with the guy after the inexcusable Florida loss in 2015....after watching him botch the 17-0 lead over Oklahoma at home and then snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, I was done.

That said, the play of the 2016 team, one that barely beat App State in the opener, struggled with Ohio and suddenly started playing with no discipline whatsoever was proof that all was not well in the Anderson Training Center. A hallmark of Jones’ teams in his first 3 years was low penalties and a good, disciplined play, despite his shortcomings on the sideline come gamedays. In 2016, Jekyll became Hyde and the team was unrecognizable in those two aspects and only achieved what they did due to outstanding individual efforts from Dobbs, Kamara, Jennings and Barnett. Make no mistake, as Travis Haney’s article depicted, the culture had devolved into a toxic mess by year 4 under Jones.

VN Store

Back