Why?

Manning Up

Everyone is entitled to my opinion
After Coach Pruitt's press conference, the talking heads focused on one thing for 15 minutes. Pruitt's strained relationship with Richt while coaching at Georgia. How is that the #1 topic when discussing the upcoming season?

Kinda creamed my corn.

I thought Finebaum did a decent job defending Pruitt and the Vols.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
After Coach Pruitt's press conference, the talking heads focused on one thing for 15 minutes. Pruitt's strained relationship with Richt while coaching at Georgia. How is that the #1 topic when discussing the upcoming season?

I thought Finebaum did a decent job defending Pruitt and the Vols.

Because that's more interesting than "How good is Pruitt going to be? I don't know, he's a first-time head coach."

To be fair, Pruitt's time at Georgia is an interesting topic of conversation and one that was discussed by people here around the time he was hired.

Reactions: 1 person
Because that's more interesting than "How good is Pruitt going to be? I don't know, he's a first-time head coach."

To be fair, Pruitt's time at Georgia is an interesting topic of conversation and one that was discussed by people here around the time he was hired.

As far as on the field, Pruitt was a very good DC there. Under Richt, it seems UGA football had a very country club type atmosphere that rubbed Pruitt the wrong way and he let Richt know about it. That's not how you win in the modern SEC and Pruitt knew it. I think UGA folks didnt like hearing it or Pruitt's aggressiveness on it to be sure.

Reactions: 6 people
As far as on the field, Pruitt was a very good DC there. Under Richt, it seems UGA football had a very country club type atmosphere that rubbed Pruitt the wrong way and he let Richt know about it. That's not how you win in the modern SEC and Pruitt knew it. I think UGA folks didnt like hearing it or Pruitt's aggressiveness on it to be sure.

Living in Georgia, here is what I heard from both sides of the situation when Pruitt worked under Richt.
Pro Richt people thought that Pruitt cursed too much and was a crude redneck and not Christian acting enough.
Anti Richt people thought that Pruitt thought that Richt wanted to run a Sunday School instead of a football program. Pruitt didn’t like all of the wearing religion on the sleeve stuff and thought Richt acted “holier than thou”.

Reactions: 11 people
Looking at the recruiting and on the field play from Georgia under Kirby...

I would have to side with Pruitt LOL.

Richt WAS holding Georgia back with his laid back attitude and lack of aggressiveness.

Better question to me is why the narrative that we'll be lucky to compete with the likes of SCjr, KY, UF etc.. Those three come to mind, because of how close the games were in the ambiguously worst season in school history.

I've been skeptical, at best, of this new hual of coaches, but wow. Florida comes to Knoxville, as do the Wildcats. Even Drew Lock and the mighty Mizzou boys come to Knoxville. If the program has progressed at all in the right direction then 7 games shouldn't be this insurmountable goal that only the craziest of fans would try to climb...

Just gives me this suspicion that we win a few more games than we are "capable" of winning.

Reactions: 6 people

Oh I agree - Murray pretty much said as much. Pruitt probably didn't like how things were run there and Murray perceived that as disrespect towards Richt.

Why? Please elaborate.

It wasn't just one thing. Richt and Pruitt are two very different guys with two very different ways of doing things. They butted heads a lot. It boiled over. After a particularly tense practice and coaches meeting, Pruitt had a few drinks to help chill. They had the opposite effect, and he wound up on Richt's front porch in the dead of night looking to rearrange Richt's face.

Pruitt had similar issues with Jimbo Fisher, though not to the same degree. Pruitt is just a different cat. He works well with specific kinds of people. He and Saban got along very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Old rifts make good rivalries, that's half the fun of football. But yeah seems a little overly eager to push the drama rather than focusing on team building.

It wasn't just one thing. Richt and Pruitt and two very different guys with two very different ways of doing things. They butted heads a lot. It boiled over. After a particularly tense practice and coaches meeting, Pruitt had a few drinks to help chill. They had the opposite effect, and he wound up on Richt's front porch in the dead of night looking to rearrange Richt's face.

Pruitt had similar issues with Jimbo Fisher, though not to the same degree. Pruitt is just a different cat. He works well with specific kinds of people. He and Saban got along very well.

Wow. I’ve never heard that story. I hope Pruitt has learned from that. You just can’t get away with stuff like that as a head coach.

They had the opposite effect, and he wound up on Richt's front porch in the dead of night looking to rearrange Richt's face.

How do you know that part is true?

Makes you wonder why Richt hired Pruitt in the first place. They do seem like two completely different types of people.

I really like Pruitt's response. Reading between the lines, I think he's saying AM has no clue what he's talking about.

Vols’ Jeremy Pruitt responds to criticism from Aaron Murray

“Well, first of all, I haven’t exactly heard what it was [he said], but I’ll say this: I don’t really know Aaron,” Pruitt said before taking the stage for his SEC Media Days presser at the College Football Hall of Fame. “I don’t really know him, but I have a lot of respect for what kind of player he was, and I coached against him. But I look at it like this: Fifteen years ago I was a kindergarten teacher, and today I’m the head football coach at Tennessee. You probably don’t make that ascension unless you know how to treat people.”

Attachments

• Pruitt.jpg
    Pruitt.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
It wasn't just one thing. Richt and Pruitt and two very different guys with two very different ways of doing things. They butted heads a lot. It boiled over. After a particularly tense practice and coaches meeting, Pruitt had a few drinks to help chill. They had the opposite effect, and he wound up on Richt's front porch in the dead of night looking to rearrange Richt's face.

It seems like he gets along with Fisher great.

How do you know that part is true?

I only know it to the extent that I've been told by multiple folks who'd know.

Makes you wonder why Richt hired Pruitt in the first place. They do seem like two completely different types of people.

Pruitt's a heck of a coach. I imagine he had glowing references from the folks he worked with at Bama.
Sometimes you don't really know how a working relationship will go until you're in it.

I've heard the story from enough sources that I'm beyond convinced of its accuracy.

I remember back when that went down, I am a SC resident, not too far across the savanna river from Mordor (Athens) and I remember a bunch of guys I did business with from Athens were talking about Pruitt and Richt had it out. All Georgia fans of course, were up in arms about it at the time. It was the talk around the campfire for a week or two. But the version I heard is that he busted into Richts office and confronted him because he was leaving a particularly hard fall practice early to go to dinner with his family and basically told Pruitt to “lock up” before he left that night.

VN Store

Back