Finebaum: "Pruitt killed it"

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Paul was impressed by Pruitt's performance today at SEC Media Days.

I thought he handled himself very well, but it's nice to get confirmation from someone who doesn't have on thick orange glasses, like I do.

Reactions: 38 people
He also just said, with Pruitt and Fulmer back, Tennessee is on the right track for a first time in a long time.

Reactions: 27 people
That's actually an interesting statement coming from Finebaum. For a guy that has Tennessee ties he rarely, if ever, makes excuses for Tennessee or tries to polish the turd.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. Embrace this staff folks, keep positive even when we take our lumps. We have a good one finally.

Pollack hates Pruitt, pretty evident.

Reactions: 4 people
IÂ’ve never witnessed Finebaum defend UT like he has recently. He really must think this was an outstanding hire by Fulmer, as do I. I think other people that are affiliated with other universities know it as well. NOBODY thatÂ’s against UT wanted the Fulmer hire for AD because they know whatÂ’s coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
He made his money sucking up to Bama fans.
But, heÂ’s a Vol deep down and would love to see us win.

He sucks up to whoever is on top, always has and probably always will. Bama fans hated him when they were down and Auburn was dominating them.

IÂ’ve never witnessed Finebaum defend UT like he has recently. He must think this was an outstanding hire by Fulmer, as do I. I think other people that are affiliated with other universities know it as well. NOBODY thatÂ’s against UT wanted the Fulmer hire for AD because they know whatÂ’s coming.

He probably feels more comfortable defending Tennessee now that power appears to reside in the hands of people who know or appear to know something about football.

Finebaum doesn't look at stuff through orange colored glasses. I try not to either, but it is difficult. If you aren't looking through those glasses, how can you realistically and with a straight face defend Butch (especially during 2016 and 2017) or Dooley?

Other than after the 2015 season, could you ever realistically say with confidence that the program was on the right track under those guys?

Nobody knows if Pruitt is going to be a good head coach. However, nobody can deny that he comes from a good pedigree, and he was hired by a guy who won 152 college games and a national title. At the moment, the ship is being led by people who you can at least have some confidence they know what they are doing. That isn't a guarantee of success, but I suppose it helps during "talking season."

Reactions: 5 people
He made his money sucking up to Bama fans.
But, heÂ’s a Vol deep down and would love to see us win.

Believe it or not Finebaum earned his stripes by going to B'ham in the early 80s and not toeing the party line about Bear Bryant. I'll admit I think he can be kind of partial to Alabama over Auburn and I think he's in awe sometimes of Saban, but he's always been an iconoclastic guy and has even rubbed Saban the wrong way a time or two. I can respect that; it is easy for people in his position to simply be shills and mouthpieces.

There's a good profile that The New Yorker (yes, The New Yorker) did on him a few years ago that talks about it.

King of the South | The New Yorker

Reactions: 2 people
Paul was impressed by Pruitt's performance today at SEC Media Days.

I thought he handled himself very well, but it's nice to get confirmation from someone who doesn't have on thick orange glasses, like I do.

He also just said, with Pruitt and Fulmer back, Tennessee is on the right track for a first time in a long time.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 people
I agree. Embrace this staff folks, keep positive even when we take our lumps. We have a good one finally.

Pollack hates Pruitt, pretty evident.

"We have a good one finally"

We thought that Kiffin was a good one. He brought his dad who invented the Tampa 2 defense. He brought Oregon to coach defensive line. Kiffin Jr. Kiffin Sr. & Oregon all had NFL experience. We were excited about that staff also. Then we ended up losing to Ole Miss because a small back got 300 yards against us. then we get blown out against Va. Tech in the bowl game.

We thought that Dooley was good because Saban said he would turn our program around. His dad was a good coach at UGA. he has coaching in his genes. He coached with Saban at LSU when LSU won the National Championship. He was a head coach at La. Tech.

We thought bUTch was a good hire. He had experience at Central Michigan & Cincinnati. He coached J.J. Watt, Antonio Brown and he coached the K.C. Chiefs first round pick in the draft. Hell, other colleges are trying to hire him. Colleges such as Colorado, etc. he also said the right thing in press conferences. He was a good hire.

I see Pruitt improving our program but we have to catch all of the other programs in the SEC. So, we have to catch them and then pass them, with someone who has never been a head coach.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back