A good article on Keller Christ..

Chryst lost in his second straight start after winning in his first seven, but in truth, Stanford hasn’t beaten a team with a winning record under his guidance. Last year, Arizona, Oregon State, Oregon, Cal and Rice were well under .500. Stanford beat North Carolina in the Sun Bowl, but he was out after his knee injury in the second quarter. Stanford crushed Rice again in this year’s opener.

Something important to remember for those reading too much into Stanford being 11-2 under him.

The article also points out that he had lost a step because he wasn't quite healthy coming off an ACL tear late in 2016. Hopefully he's regained that speed. He's not Cam Newton or anything like that, but his running ability was one of the best things he brought to the table for Stanford in 2016.

Reactions: 7 people
Something important to remember for those reading too much into Stanford being 11-2 under him.

The article also points out that he had lost a step because he wasn't quite healthy coming off an ACL tear late in 2016. Hopefully he's regained that speed. He's not Cam Newton or anything like that, but his running ability was one of the best things he brought to the table for Stanford in 2016.

Excellent summation!

Reactions: 4 people

He also had one of the best running backs in the country during that time. Defenses had to account for McCaffrey in the run game and that provided Chryst with a little more breathing room in the passing game. When McCaffrey left there was a lot less pressure on the run, especially when Love got injured.

I'm not saying that Chryst can't be the guy, but I'd temper expectations of him beating out JG, especially when we don't know how the O-line is going to play out or if one of our RBs will be able to provide that homerun threat to keep the defense honest.

Reactions: 3 people
He also had one of the best running backs in the country during that time. Defenses had to account for McCaffrey in the run game and that provided Chryst with a little more breathing room in the passing game. When McCaffrey left there was a lot less pressure on the run, especially when Love got injured.

I'm not saying that Chryst can't be the guy, but I'd temper expectations of him beating out JG, especially when we don't know how the O-line is going to play out or if one of our RBs will be able to provide that homerun threat to keep the defense honest.

I could see it going either way. I think Chryst is much farther along as a QB than JG in a lot of ways. If the OL and the skill positions can be good enough, I think letting him be a game manager for a season while JG progresses might be our best option. I think Chryst is more than likely capable of running our offense and not losing games for us.

But if we're in a situation where we're gonna need a QB to make a lot of plays with his arm to have a chance at a bowl game, I'm not sure we're gonna be too happy with Chryst.

Reactions: 1 person
I could see it going either way. I think Chryst is much farther along as a QB than JG in a lot of ways. If the OL and the skill positions can be good enough, I think letting him be a game manager for a season while JG progresses might be our best option. I think Chryst is more than likely capable of running our offense and not losing games for us.

But if we're in a situation where we're gonna need a QB to make a lot of plays with his arm to have a chance at a bowl game, I'm not sure we're gonna be too happy with Chryst.

Chryst is most definitely further along as a college QB. He has the potential to be a game changer in a traditional offense.

JG also has had time to develop and I think we saw that during the spring game.

It's going to be a good competition during Fall practice and I think it can't do anything but help the team in the long run, regardless of who wins the starting position.

Reactions: 1 person

Helton must have saw something in him, cuz he really didn't pursue any other JUCO/Grad Transfer QBs.

Reactions: 2 people
Where's K-town to compare JG's impressive numbers?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 people

Hope that speed is back as he will most likely be running for his life in every game.

VN Store

Back