Looking back at the '86 Sugar Bowl guide, Tennessee had quite the staff

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Phillip Fulmer, Walt Harris, Johnny Majors, Ken Donahue, Doug Matthews, Kippy Brown, Mel Foels, David Cutcliff, Dick Bumpas and Ron Zook.

86staff.png

Reactions: 18 people
Great staff. Love listening to Matthews and Kippy Brown talk on 104.5 in Nashville.

Reactions: 3 people
That was a great coaching staff.

Freak, do you have the website that has all the old programs and media guides? I can't recall the name of it.

Reactions: 3 people
Phillip Fulmer, Walt Harris, Johnny Majors, Ken Donahue, Doug Matthews, Kippy Brown, Mel Foels, David Cutcliff, Dick Bumpas and Ron Zook.

86staff.png

Coincidence you posted that. Yesterday I watched that game again. They also had a pretty good roster as well. Dale Jones, Charles Davis, Harry Galbreath, Bruce Wilkerson, Terry Mcdaniel, etc.
And a QB named Darryl Dickey who was a fifth year senior who had not started a game until T. Robinson went down.
I still like the I formation. Sam Henderson from inside the red zone. Defense knows what they will do and can't stop it.

Reactions: 4 people
Thanks. It looks like they've changed the formatting

I think they did. It's much slower and more complicated now, unfortunately. Unless there was a different link before, in which case I can't find it either.

Coincidence you posted that. Yesterday I watched that game again. They also had a pretty good roster as well. Dale Jones, Charles Davis, Harry Galbreath, Bruce Wilkerson, Terry Mcdaniel, etc.
And a QB named Darryl Dickey who was a fifth year senior who had not started a game until T. Robinson went down.
I still like the I formation. Sam Henderson from inside the red zone. Defense knows what they will do and can't stop it.

I loved watching Darrell Royal and Keith Jackson back pedal while announcing the game. If we can find that teams heart this year I will be happy!

Reactions: 2 people

Remember playing against Kippy when he was at Sweetwater. He was a smooth QB, They also had a back named Anthony Oggs who was pretty good,

86staff.png

Thanks for this. Remembering back,there have been a lot of really good coaches walking our sideline in the past. Quality assistants who have left their mark on the game.

86staff.png

I was stationed in the Philippine Islands, while in the Marines. I missed the entire season.
Looking at the list, I see Fulmer, who became the head coach at U.T.. I see Walt Harris who became the head coach at Pitt. I think he had some kind of ties to Stanford also.
Ken Donahue had ties to UCLA. Not sure he was ever a head coach or not. Kippy Brown was a receivers coach in the NFL for about 10 different teams. I remember he coached the N.Y. Jets receivers for a while.

Ron Zook was head coach at Florida, at one time.
David Cutcliffe was head coach at Ole Piss & Duke.

Have no idea who Bumpas or Foels are.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for this. Remembering back,there have been a lot of really good coaches walking our sideline in the past. Quality assistants who have left their mark on the game.

Kippy Brown was position coach at Seattle, Detroit, Houston, Green Bay, Miami & Tampa Bay

Reactions: 1 person
Kippy Brown was position coach at Seattle, Detroit, Houston, Green Bay, Miami & Tampa Bay

Yep,I also liked that he was an East Tennessee guy.
He was one of them I meant by leaving thier mark on the game (or making a name for themselves,however we want to word it. College or pro.)

I loved watching Darrell Royal and Keith Jackson back pedal while announcing the game. If we can find that teams heart this year I will be happy!

It was Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles. They came on the air expecting a blow out and that's exactly what they got!! Just wasn't the way they expected.

Get a Sugar Bowl guide for that game and look at the roster the Miami Hurricanes put on the field. Not only a lot of future NFL players, quite a few Pro Bowl guys. Funny, how they never mention that Sugar Bowl on all of those 30 for 30s where they talk about the intimidation and domination of the U!

It was Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles. They came on the air expecting a blow out and that's exactly what they got!! Just wasn't the way they expected.

Get a Sugar Bowl guide for that game and look at the roster the Miami Hurricanes put on the field. Not only a lot of future NFL players, quite a few Pro Bowl guys. Funny, how they never mention that Sugar Bowl on all of those 30 for 30s where they talk about the intimidation and domination of the U!

Back when the U 30 for 30 came out in 2010, or so I mentioned that to Dan LeBatard on his show. They didn't bother showing UT whoopin' that a$$.

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't know Jimmy Sexton was a Student Manager for the '85 team. I saw Vic Grider on there too.

VN Store

Back