Rush Propst could be coaching in college soon

NCAA Bylaw 11.4.4 reads: “In bowl subdivision football, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position.”

It's a dumb rule imo

It's a bad rule when it hurts us but when it stops Bama from continuing to hire the mommas, uncles, etc. of 5* recruits, is it a bad rule?

Would have it been a bad rule if it was around to stop Ole Miss from hiring Freeze in a support role as part of the Oher package deal?

Reactions: 2 people
It's a bad rule when it hurts us but when it stops Bama from continuing to hire the mommas, uncles, etc. of 5* recruits, is it a bad rule?

Would have it been a bad rule if it was around to stop Ole Miss from hiring Freeze in a support role as part of the Oher package deal?

I can understand family members, 1 maybe 2 schools where they can't get a job. A coach at a successful program, different animal.
I mean the better the coach is, the more schools he can't work for. That's about as ridiculous as it gets.

I can understand family members, 1 maybe 2 schools where they can't get a job. A coach at a successful program, different animal.
I mean the better the coach is, the more schools he can't work for. That's about as ridiculous as it gets.

I guess there should be some common sense applied, but since when does the NCAA have common sense....The problem is if you give the NCAA any discretion you will see schools like Bama giving HS coaches some BS job instead of flat out paying them like they did with Lynn Lang in the Albert Means recruitment. I don't think this rule prohibits Probst from being one of the 10 assistants, correct? Playing devil's advocate, if Probst was "good enough", someone would offer him an assistant gig, correct?

Reactions: 1 person

Yes, it's a bad rule IMO

I guess there should be some common sense applied, but since when does the NCAA have common sense....The problem is if you give the NCAA any discretion you will see schools like Bama giving HS coaches some BS job instead of flat out paying them like they did with Lynn Lang in the Albert Means recruitment. I don't think this rule prohibits Probst from being one of the 10 assistants, correct? Playing devil's advocate, if Probst was "good enough", someone would offer him an assistant gig, correct?

As much as I would love to see a real crackdown on Alabama, this subject is above my hatred of them or any school.

This rule won't even put a dent in their practices. And I never agree with any rules or laws limiting American citizens that have never been convicted of doing anything wrong.

Besides, if the NCAA is behind something, you'll never convince me it's to Alabama's detriment. Higher chance that it benefits them one way or another. Never known of Bama needing to hire someone to pay them.

Doesn't this guy have a past involving sexual activity with a high school cheerleader or something? Maybe even fathered a child with her?

Doesn't this guy have a past involving sexual activity with a high school cheerleader or something? Maybe even fathered a child with her?

His mistress (now wife) came to his HS games and sat in the stands not too far from his then-wife, but I don't know where you are getting the cheerleader BS. She was definitely of age.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm glad propst cant get a job. Hope he stays at the high school level and those parents are happy he's leading their kids. Heykids, cheat your family and you still have a great life. Good model.

My child would not play for him.

Last edited:
His mistress (now wife) came to his HS games and sat in the stands not too far from his then-wife, but I don't know where you are getting the cheerleader BS. She was definitely of age.

I'm glad you defend him at any level. Correct response from you should have been. No cheerleader was involved, but yes he did many things wrong and was allowed to bc he won games.

I'm glad propst cant get a job. Hope he stays at the high school level and those parents are happy he's leading their kids. Heykids, cheat your family and you still have a great life. Good model.

Speaking for myself, I was referring to the rule period. I agree with your distaste of adultery but this isn't the "Rush Propst rule". It has the same consequences for every monogamous coach also.

As far as this coach and his affair, that's up to each individual school/community. But given we have a history of electing unfaithful men to multiple offices, not sure about the impact.

As much as I would love to see a real crackdown on Alabama, this subject is above my hatred of them or any school.

This rule won't even put a dent in their practices. And I never agree with any rules or laws limiting American citizens that have never been convicted of doing anything wrong.

Besides, if the NCAA is behind something, you'll never convince me it's to Alabama's detriment. Higher chance that it benefits them one way or another. Never known of Bama needing to hire someone to pay them.

So it's a coincidence that Bama had #1 class 7 years in a row but in the first year with this rule, they weren't Top 5?

My child would not play for him.

"Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven." :hi:

So it's a coincidence that Bama had #1 class 7 years in a row but in the first year with this rule, they weren't Top 5?

Given they took 25 recruits in 2016 and 29 recruits in 2017 (and so on) but only took 21 in 2018, I'm guessing that played a significant role.

Do you really believe that they were giving 20+ family member, position jobs a year, for 7 years?

Given they took 25 recruits in 2016 and 29 recruits in 2017 (and so on) but only took 21 in 2018, I'm guessing that played a significant role.

Do you really believe that they were giving 20+ family member, position jobs a year, for 7 years?

Yes. It makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

The rule also conveniently hinders excellent high school coaches of prominent programs from moving up/into the collegiate ranks.

VN Store

Back