Jalen Hurd on Baylor and leaving Tennessee...

So he was a guaranteed middle 1st round pick according to NFL draft analysts as a RB for last year’s draft, then he decides that’s not his true position even though he played it throughout HS and college? Makes no sense to me, but it’s his life.

Reactions: 4 people
Don't quit in the middle of the season and you don't end up the bad guy.

This actually makes sense.
He reaped what he sowed from the decision he made as far as public reaction. His decision overshadowed the other part of the story then and now. Bu it doesn't change the fact of how and why it happened.

Reactions: 3 people
I would have liked him better in a run-style offense for TN. His size would have been perfect for CJP's offense.

Reactions: 4 people
Jalen is responsible for the way he left. But, Butch is responsible for creating the situation that lead to it. The whole thing was a cluster f on all sides. I understand Jalen's frustrations even if I don't condone his actions. I hope Jalen does well at Baylor and that's the end of it for me. The whole thing is just one of many parts of the Butch years I'd like to forget.

Reactions: 36 people
Hurd made the right move long-term move IMO, but he did it the wrong way. He alienated his teammates and quit the team. His family seems like it was part of the problem. That said, he was 20 years old when he screwed up here; whereas Butch Jones was in his 40's when he screwed up with Hurd. I'd tend to blame Butch more than Hurd, but both are to blame to some degree.

I do think there's a bit of hyperbole in the article. Hurd was not going in the 1st Round after his Junior season anyway. His stock had fallen quite a bit by then. He's going to have to prove himself at Baylor to get drafted.

Reactions: 14 people
Hurd made the right move long-term move IMO, but he did it the wrong way. He alienated his teammates and quit the team. His family seems like it was part of the problem. That said, he was 20 years old when he screwed up here; whereas Butch Jones was in his 40's when he screwed up with Hurd. I'd tend to blame Butch more than Hurd, but both are to blame to some degree.

I do think there's a bit of hyperbole in the article. Hurd was not going in the 1st Round after his Junior season anyway. His stock had fallen quite a bit by then. He's going to have to prove himself at Baylor to get drafted.

Yeah, the article was definitely skewed. I'd be shocked if he was a mid first round pick as an RB. A case could be made that he was the 3rd best RB on the 2016 team.
Saying he was benched after celebrating a TD implies he scored, celebrated, and then was benched. When he actually celebrated in the middle of the play and turned a TD into a turnover.

I do think Butch ran Hurd too frequently and both hurt Hurd's health and UT's chances of winning. Giving 5 more carries to Kamara and 5 less to Hurd each game would have been better for everyone.

All that said, I hope things work out for him.

Reactions: 10 people
This is a Vol board. I find it distasteful we are promoting Baylor football players.

Reactions: 6 people
This is a Vol board. I find it distasteful we are promoting Baylor football players.

Well maybe they’ll move this thread to the Around the NCAA forum...like mine. :)

Orange colored glasses caused a lot of folks, myself included, to feel a certain way about this guy. After hearing more and more about the turmoil and bullcrap that was the "Jones Era" at UT, I can't say I would have been there long either.

Still believe he should not have quit mid season, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do no matter who you piss off in the process.

Reactions: 6 people
So he was a guaranteed middle 1st round pick according to NFL draft analysts as a RB for last year’s draft, then he decides that’s not his true position even though he played it throughout HS and college? Makes no sense to me, but it’s his life.

I don't think he was going in the first round as a RB. If you want to make $ and have a longer career, TE > RB. I don't think RB was his NFL position.

Being devil's advocate here...did you read the article?

He said that he re-evaluated after the Appalachian State game, and the toll that being RB for all those years and all those carries had taken, and that the average RB plays for 3.5 years in the NFL, but the average WR plays 10.

It's a smart life move, but the timing and the delivery where what were the issue in his case. Plus, it's not like it was ever going to work to have your request to change from a workhorse RB to a WR approved by the coaches in the middle of a potentially great season.

Add-on edit: If he had just asked to take less carries, and then swap to WR/TE in the offseason, then come back for his Senior season that way, he'd have been tons better for it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Reactions: 14 people

VN Store

Back