10 Questions for 2018: Wide Receiver Depth

At least one of them has to prove they can beat press coverage and then be fast enough to stretch the field.

At least one of them has to prove they can beat press coverage and then be fast enough to stretch the field.

If JJ can't mug a league full of 5'10 CBs and get open on the regular it cannot be done. That said, feed the kid the ball, FEED DAT DAWG!!! Feed him 'til they double cover him every play. Find a QB that will get him the ball.

Callaway and Jennings both can catch and hurt em deep if they focus and run the route disciplined. I doubt either of them have too much issue with pressing corners they're both strongly built.

A balanced and modestly unpredictable offensive scheme is the best ointment for the RB and Receiving Corp not withstanding a significantly improved OL.

Last year we couldn't block long enough to pass and with the 4 turnstile OL it really didn't matter whether we ran or passed.

This year the OL will be greatly improved, even if it isn't top tier SEC.

That will make a big difference in passing and receiving yards, time of possession (which will be a boon for our defense), and of course points differential.

Need a q b that can throw and a line that can block and,our offense will be set
I don't see J G as being the answer Hopefully someone else will really emerge

Lol you say all the things that need to be fixed and then say you don’t think JG is the answer? He is in my opinion the most ready to play QB on this team and most talented outside of Shrout. I wouldn’t put to much perspective on how JG performed last year into this year;that offensive line couldn’t block a high school varsity team if they tried. Having JJ back and a pro style offense believe it or not is going to help this offense big time. Run the ball effectively and play action pass over the top. I think callaway and Byrd are in for big years and I like that new JUCO TE coming in as well. We’re not as bad as people and analysts think

Reactions: 2 people
I'm am very positive concerning our WR group.

1A. Jennings (If he can hang on and get drafted without issue)
1B. Callaway (Straight playmaker)
2. Johnson (Productive and getting better every year)
* Byrd (Talented and capable of breakout season)
* Palmer (FR Starter. Would have had multiple deep TDs last yr w decent QBing)
* Williams (Lightening fast and ready to play last yr b4 injury)
* Murphy (2nd season after showing some promise)
* Jones (good reports)
* Taylor (Beast athlete. Would be Gr8, but looks amazing on D too IMHO)

Regardless, if we find a serviceable OL and QB, this group has 3 or 4 players who are going to make some huge plays this year.

Disclaimer: Not blindly going full D4H or WildAsAMink here. This is the #1 position group on our team. Previous staff deserves credit for this part of the roster without a doubt. Hope new staff reaps it.

Reactions: 2 people
Almost EVERY year... for at least a decade... the position unit that was "supposed" to be a strength turned out to be a weakness. And the unit that was most unsure actually did "ok".

Looks like this year the OL will be fine and the WR's will suck.

Maybe if everyone says they will ALL suck... we'll be in business.

Reactions: 1 person
I like that in Tyson Helton's offense our receivers will be given a bigger chance to shine. I think the receivers are fine, the more important question is can one of these quarterbacks consistently get them the ball.

I hope we start game 1 with some WR screens, slants and easy completions to get whoever our starter is in a rhythm, then give these horses some chances to run in the 2nd quarter.

Lol you say all the things that need to be fixed and then say you don’t think JG is the answer? He is in my opinion the most ready to play QB on this team and most talented outside of Shrout. I wouldn’t put to much perspective on how JG performed last year into this year;that offensive line couldn’t block a high school varsity team if they tried. Having JJ back and a pro style offense believe it or not is going to help this offense big time. Run the ball effectively and play action pass over the top. I think callaway and Byrd are in for big years and I like that new JUCO TE coming in as well. We’re not as bad as people and analysts think

Byrd has hands made of Bricks.... Don't think you see him in the 1 deep. He is a 2 deep receiver even with his speed.

I like that in Tyson Helton's offense our receivers will be given a bigger chance to shine. I think the receivers are fine, the more important question is can one of these quarterbacks consistently get them the ball.

I hope we start game 1 with some WR screens, slants and easy completions to get whoever our starter is in a rhythm, then give these horses some chances to run in the 2nd quarter.

Mark my words and write them down. The first pass play of 2018 is going to be some sort of post or fade (deep pass) for the endzone to make a statement.

Brandon going to show the football world what he is about..He going to be the alpha wr on this team..Brandon deserves to be heard..

Brandon going to show the football world what he is about..He going to be the alpha wr on this team..Brandon deserves to be heard..

I hope he wins the Heisman and you don't wind up being the very first on my ignore list in the process. :)

Hey GREAZY, since you are his uncle why haven't you posted any videos of him working with his cousins in the Pros.... I remember you mentioning that.

I'd like to see how he has been improving over the summer. I think he is a very underrated receiver, he is definitely our most sure handed receiver. (I don't know why people blame the SC game on him, that game could have been won way before our last drive and others on the team choked)

Edit: Also have you heard anything about the new receivers from your nephew? Would like to know how they are progressing. Also, would like to know how the QBs are doing throwing wise.

Last edited:
If JJ can't mug a league full of 5'10 CBs and get open on the regular it cannot be done. That said, feed the kid the ball, FEED DAT DAWG!!! Feed him 'til they double cover him every play. Find a QB that will get him the ball.

DAWG HeL-! He's a VOL!:)

I love this position group.

I'm calling my shot here and say Palmer has a breakout season. He runs a great post pattern and should have had at least 5 more TD's last year.

Mark my words and write them down. The first pass play of 2018 is going to be some sort of post or fade (deep pass) for the endzone to make a statement.

This reminds me of manning to kent back in the day first play of the against the alabubba

Last edited:

VN Store

Back