SI: The Chaos and Consequences of the BCS, 20 Years After its Inaugural Season

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

When the kick sailed wide left, it felt like an earthquake.

The press box in Neyland Stadium shook on the night of Sept. 19, 1998 as Tennessee fans released five years of pent-up frustration and welcomed in unbridled joy. The Volunteers—winless against Florida since 1992, including the entirety of the Peyton Manning era—had beaten the hated Gators 20–17 in an overtime thriller that ended on Collins Cooper’s missed kick. A season earlier, Tennessee had broken Florida’s four-year stranglehold on the SEC title. Now the Vols had broken the Gators’ stranglehold on the rivalry. The moment felt like a literal seismic event, but it might have been an even bigger figurative one. It was the first major domino to fall in a season that ushered in a new way of determining college football’s national champion.

BCS rankings, 20 years later, leave legacy of controversy | SI.com

Reactions: 10 people
"NO...SIR...REEE!!"

Didn't make the NC game, but was there for FL, it was like an EarthQuake when he missed!! :rock:

Ahhh! The good old days!!
:cray:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The BCS wasn't perfect but it's relative success led to the playoff system we have today. It showed what most of us had thought for a while - that the best football was being played in the SEC and the Big 10 was using its built in media advantage to win national titles in the polls and not on the football field...

Reactions: 10 people
As the kick soared, from Section S I could see Vols fans losing their minds behind the uprights. I knew it was wide and was celebrating even before the refs signal. Talk about a euphoric moment.

Another marker of how much the landscape of the sport has changed. Can you imagine the below happening in say, 2010? An undefeated SEC team not getting into the title game?

USC did make the title game following the 2004 season. The matchup of the 12–0 Trojans against 12-0 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl might have felt like a victory for the BCS, but with 12–0 Auburn stuck in the Sugar Bowl with no chance to win the national title, no one in SEC country was happy.

I am hoping that we eventually get up to an 8 team playoff. Here is what I would propose:

5 conference champions
Top Ranked non Power 5 team
2 wildcards

Under this scenario, every team in the country has a shot at the national title and games such as UT-USCe (in 2016) would have extra significance since the SEC East winner would have a chance to play themselves into a playoff by winning the SEC Championship game.

I'd rank the teams 1-8 and top 4 seeds get a home game in the first round. The semifinals and national title game would be played under same system as today. The Bowl system would remain in place for non playoff teams just like today.

Reactions: 4 people
IMHO, Andy Staples is among the top writers covering CFB. His very readable writing style carries over into his on-camera presentation. He's a very big reason SI.com remains among my browser bookmarks.

Reactions: 2 people
IMHO, Andy Staples is among the top writers covering CFB. His very readable writing style carries over into his on-camera presentation. He's a very big reason SI.com remains among my browser bookmarks.

Agreed. Entertaining and informative at the same time, and not clickbait. He used to cover the Vols here in Chattanooga for the TFP.

I am hoping that we eventually get up to an 8 team playoff. Here is what I would propose:

5 conference champions
2 wildcards

Under this scenario, every team in the country has a shot at the national title and games such as UT-USCe (in 2016) would have extra significance since the SEC East winner would have a chance to play themselves into a playoff by winning the SEC Championship game.

I'd rank the teams 1-8 and top 4 seeds get a home game in the first round. The semifinals and national title game would be played under same system as today. The Bowl system would remain in place for non playoff teams just like today.

I like the idea of 8. I don’t like the idea of home field. Just let some lesser bowl cash in on a meaningful game.
I think the playoffs should al be played in a dome stadium. Eliminate nature as a factor. I want to watch the best compete in the best conditions and not let the weather be an influence.

5 conference champions
2 wildcards

I think this would be great. I’d like to see the highest seeded teams host those semifinal bowls too. Maybe a true neutral site championship game as well.

Another marker of how much the landscape of the sport has changed. Can you imagine the below happening in say, 2010? An undefeated SEC team not getting into the title game?

I believe Auburn and Penn State both have at least two seasons each where they finished undefeated and didn't win the National Championship. (a five loss bama team probably claimed one of them...lol)

Take that Central Florida!

Reactions: 1 person
I like the idea of 8. I don’t like the idea of home field. Just let some lesser bowl cash in on a meaningful game.
I think the playoffs should al be played in a dome stadium. Eliminate nature as a factor. I want to watch the best compete in the best conditions and not let the weather be an influence.

Why is nature only important in the playoffs? It can just as easily affect whether a team makes the playoff or not.

Reactions: 2 people
Very well researched and written article. Enjoyable.

Nothing like so much of the corny self aggrandizing crap you get from the web clickbait or the local newspaper sports columnists.

Thanks OP.

Why is nature only important in the playoffs? It can just as easily affect whether a team makes the playoff or not.

Good point.

Another point concerning this is that playing in a dome IS a reality of indoor "nature" which could also favor one of the teams. Syracuse(I know, I know) for example.

Last edited:
I swear that year was meant to be. From that first game, to the florida game, especially Arkansas. It was all glorious.

Agreed. Entertaining and informative at the same time, and not clickbait. He used to cover the Vols here in Chattanooga for the TFP.

Man, the TFP has churned out some good ones from their Vol Beat.

Andy Staples
Wes Rucker
Patrick Brown

Their guy right now, David Cobb, isn't bad either.

I believe Auburn and Penn State both have at least two seasons each where they finished undefeated and didn't win the National Championship. (a five loss bama team probably claimed one of them...lol)

Take that Central Florida!

Auburn was on postseason/ bowl ban, probation, and even a “can’t play on TV” ban one of those years (1993)...so not receiving anything at all that year - including not being allowed to play in the SEC Championship - at least makes more sense.

VN Store

Back