Ranking Vol QB's - Andy Kelly to present day

The Crimson Cried

Edjacated Man of Mistery
I am interested to see the opinions on this one. Please limit your rankings to guys who logged significant starts if you don't mind. Just list your top 10.

My personal ranking looks like this:
1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Andy Kelly
6. Joshua Dobbs
7. Erik Ainge
8. Tyler Bray
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

Reactions: 1 person
I am interested to see the opinions on this one. Please limit your rankings to guys who logged significant starts if you don't mind. Just list your top 10.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Andy Kelly
6. Joshua Dobbs
7. Erik Ainge
8. Tyler Bray
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

You could argue swapping Shuler and Martin. Other than that, looks like a dead-on ranking.

Reactions: 3 people

1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Andy Kelly
6. Joshua Dobbs
7. Erik Ainge
8. Tyler Bray
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

Looks good

I would put Dobbs at 4 given the context of his time here and the supporting cast he had.. I think he deserves a lot of credit for being along with Barnett and Kamara the one bright spot we had these past 10 or so years.

The guy is hands down the most underappreciated QB we have ever had. As a leader I think he was better than everyone on the list except for Peyton and Shuler. Imagine Dobbs on that 98 offense. with those backs and those WR's and those lines. No one on the list outside of Worley even has an argument they played behind a worse line and had less help. He did more with less.

Reactions: 13 people
I will get it started for ya....

You give Josh Dobbs some of those players and a HC from the past and he's top 3 no doubt if not already.

Dobbs is better than Martin ever dreamed of being.

Reactions: 28 people

1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Andy Kelly
6. Joshua Dobbs
7. Erik Ainge
8. Tyler Bray
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

That's really tough to do - some of those guys had incredible talent and coaching around them (Manning, Shuler, Martin), while others played on teams that were either just mediocre or there was a lot of coach/team drama (Dobbs, Bray, Crompton, Worley). Having said that, I can't really argue much with your list.

You could shuffle 4-6 into any order and I could make an argument for it. As it happens, I like the order as is.

Really good off season topic! Thanks for posting. Agree w/ all rankings. If Dobbs had the team around him that Andy Kelly had, he would probably be higher, but then Butch may not be an intern...

Should roll back to TRob, to include him and Jeff Francis if we're doing a top 10? Sorry, just can't put Crompton and Worley on any UT top 10 list.

Reactions: 4 people
I would put Dobbs at 4 given the context of his time here and the supporting cast he had.. I think he deserves a lot of credit for being along with Barnett and Kamara the one bright spot we had these past 10 or so years.

The guy is hands down the most underappreciated QB we have ever had. As a leader I think he was better than everyone on the list except for Peyton and Shuler. Imagine Dobbs on that 98 offense. with those backs and those WR's and those lines. No one on the list outside of Worley even has an argument they played behind a worse line and had less help. He did more with less.

Can't put him above Clausen

Reactions: 5 people
For me.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Casey Clausen
4. Andy Kelly
5. Joshua Dobbs
6. Tyler Bray
7. Tee Martin
8. Erik Ainge
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

Reactions: 4 people

1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Andy Kelly
6. Joshua Dobbs
7. Erik Ainge
8. Tyler Bray
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

1. Manning (no doubt)
2. Martin (the guy won the only NC most of us have ever seen)
3. Dobbs (carried Jones and the team for 2 years)
4. C. Clausen (won quite a few big games for us)
5. Shuler (all the talent in the world)
6. Kelly (we were never out of the game with him)
7. Ainge (won 2 east titles)
8. Bray (would've liked to see him with a competent defense)
9. Crompton (drastic improvement under Kiffin)
10. Rick Clausen (I put him ahead of Worley based on the LSU comeback)

Reactions: 10 people
1. Manning (no doubt)
4. C. Clausen (won quite a few big games for us)
5. Shuler (all the talent in the world)
6. Kelly (we were never out of the game with him)
7. Ainge (won 2 east titles)
8. Bray (would've liked to see him with a competent defense)
9. Crompton (drastic improvement under Kiffin)
10. Rick Clausen (I put him ahead of Worley based on the LSU comeback)

There it is! I knew someone was going to pull the R Clausen tops Worley card. It is definitely close.

Tee won the whole darn thing!!! Only reason he is not #1 is his skin color

Nope. He is the only QB on the list we have had to win a Natty. In no way was he a better QB than Peyton or Shuler. I wouldn't care if he was purple or electric blue he still wasn't as good as those two. On a personal note I've met Tee and he is an outstanding human being.

Reactions: 18 people

Here's the thing...Tee Martin didn't win a NC...the Vols did. As a matter of sheer talent Tee wasn't close to the best player on that team or even in the discussion. Obviously it's speculative opinion in any such conversation but I don't think Tee does as much with the same team as Dobbs. That's not a knock on Tee of course but watching just Dobbs it looked like he did more for his team as far as making an individual difference.

Reactions: 7 people
Another good topic would be whether Josh or Casey was more under appreciated while they were here.

Casey, and it isn't even close. Casey Clausen is probably the most underrated and underappreciated player in the history of the school. All the guy did was not make mistakes, keep teams in games, and give us great chances to win, especially on the road in tough environments. 14-1 on the road and 34-10 overall. I don't think he was embraced by the fans because he wasn't flashy, seemed really aloof, and didn't have something "special" about him like Dobbs and many other of our QBs did.

If anything, Tennessee fans overrated Dobbs while he was here, particularly his passing ability.

Reactions: 15 people
You sure can tell about the youth of the persons who are making these lists.

Any top ten list that does not have Bobby Scott on it is automatically suspect. He had an incredible record as a starter for the two (2) seasons he started (1969 and 1970) and had a lengthy career as a backup to Archie Manning in the NFL. Tony Robinson was arguably the most talented QB we have ever had. Had he not been injured and gone down the path of drugs, he would have been an NFL player for sure.

EDIT: just saw that the list only applies to Andy Kelly to today. My bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Any top ten list that does not have Bobby Scott on it is automatically suspect. He had an incredible record as a starter for the two (2) seasons he started (1969 and 1970) and had a lengthy career as a backup to Archie Manning in the NFL. Tony Robinson was arguably the most talented QB we have ever had. Had he not been injured and gone down the path of drugs, he would have been an NFL player for sure.

The list is only running from Andy Kelly to present day. So only since 1988.

Finally. It was just a matter of time before a racist squatted in the middle of a great discussion and took a gigantic dump ...

Attachments

• racecard.png
    racecard.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: 24 people

EDIT: just saw that the list only applies to Andy Kelly to today. My bad.

Almost every QB who played 2 or more years is listed. I think it should have been the top 5 or make it since UT with to T formation.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Andy Kelly
6. Joshua Dobbs
7. Erik Ainge
8. Tyler Bray
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

Peyton defiantly goes to the top of this list. Shuler defiantly number 2. After that things get dicey for me.

You won't convince many on Tee being over Manning for any reason.That said, I was much happier in 98 than in 97 with the way our team performed.I was amazed with how T had about a gazillion completions in a row against SC.He could hurt teams with his legs as if he were Tony Robinson.Peerless Price came alive with T.It was just a great year,and it would not have happened without T.Looking at entire careers it still has to be Peyton. I'll always be greatful to T for that season,and to Peyton for being a Vol.

Here's the thing...Tee Martin didn't win a NC...the Vols did. As a matter of sheer talent Tee wasn't close to the best player on that team or even in the discussion. Obviously it's speculative opinion in any such conversation but I don't think Tee does as much with the same team as Dobbs. That's not a knock on Tee of course but watching just Dobbs it looked like he did more for his team as far as making an individual difference.

That's so hard to say because the offenses they ran were so different. Tee ran a traditional, vanilla, pro-style offense while Dobbs ran a spread option-type of offense.

Tee was a much better thrower of the football than Dobbs was. Tee was a good improvised scrambler, but this was an area where Dobbs absolutely excelled and was better than Tee. Tee didn't have many designed QB runs or any read option plays like Dobbs did, but Dobbs didn't exactly excel at designed QB runs or reading the defensive end on the read option either.

They helped their teams in totally different ways; Tee made throws and protected the football while Dobbs ran for first downs after plays broke down. I would have loved to see what Dobbs could have done with a better offensive line.

VN Store

Back