Attachments

• 48EB4011-A878-4475-9F21-A5E917E6371E.gif
    48EB4011-A878-4475-9F21-A5E917E6371E.gif
    307.8 KB · Views: 721
  • 24DD1531-418F-4D5D-AA57-AA8F27C98726.gif
    24DD1531-418F-4D5D-AA57-AA8F27C98726.gif
    307.8 KB · Views: 728
Reactions: 1 person
Loved T. Rob, but the drugs got the better of him after blowing out knee! :banghead2::banghead2:

Dang Shame!! He was Great!

Last edited:
I'm reading a book right now, Game of My Life, that talks quite a bit about the '85 season and Tony Robinson's place in it (along with several other fellows, of course).

And I realized: I had no idea who he was. His college career precisely matched my first tour overseas (Germany, 82 to 85), and so I never heard a thing about him.

Ten years later, and I'd have seen him on ESPN as the number of games on TV ballooned. And I'd have been able to read about him on the internet.

But back then...I flat-out totally missed him. And Dale Jones, and Daryl Dickey, some other really great guys. The Sugar Vols.

Will definitely be watching this one. Thanks for it, Freak. :good!:

Reactions: 3 people
I'm reading a book right now, Game of My Life, that talks quite a bit about the '85 season and Tony Robinson's place in it (along with several other fellows, of course).

And I realized: I had no idea who he was. His college career precisely matched my first tour overseas (Germany, 82 to 85), and so I never heard a thing about him.

Ten years later, and I'd have seen him on ESPN as the number of games on TV ballooned. And I'd have been able to read about him on the internet.

But back then...I flat-out totally missed him. And Dale Jones, and Daryl Dickey, some other really great guys. The Sugar Vols.

The '85 Auburn game is on youtube. You should take a look at that if you haven't already. That was his best game and Sports Illustrated put him on their cover after that performance. "The Tennessee Waltz".

Reactions: 5 people

JP, where in Germany were you stationed? My brother was stationed in Bamberg from 1986-88, I believe.

Will this special be on a channel or network other than Knoxville WBIR? I enjoyed watching him play. I’ll have to give the Auburn 85 game a look. Thanks!

Thank you for your service sir

Reactions: 2 people
Will this special be on a channel or network other than Knoxville WBIR? I enjoyed watching him play. I’ll have to give the Auburn 85 game a look. Thanks!

Be on YouTube in a week...tops!

[twitter]1013593513991266305[/twitter]

Caught Tony when he was a Legend of the game and he signed my '85 Sports Illustrated with him on the cover. Big day for me. I was at the game in '85 so that made it doubly good.

The 85 team was fearless, in the words of Pat Dye their defense plays like crazy people. The team didn't get a lot of stupid penalties but they played with spirit and never gave up. If not for the opening season tie with UCLA that Majors got super conservative in we would have been National Champs. GBO!!!!

The 85 team was fearless, in the words of Pat Dye their defense plays like crazy people. The team didn't get a lot of stupid penalties but they played with spirit and never gave up. If not for the opening season tie with UCLA that Majors got super conservative in we would have been National Champs. GBO!!!!

To me even more impact was the Georgia Tech game, Dickey's first start at quarterback. Majors essentially wouldn't let him throw until we were down 6-0 with just a few minutes left and had to throw. Lucky to get a field goal at the end for a 6-6 tie. Carlos Reveiz made two field goals in the fourth quarter of 55 and 51 yards. My recollection is that the 51 yarder was as time expired or with just a few seconds left.

To me even more impact was the Georgia Tech game, Dickey's first start at quarterback. Majors essentially wouldn't let him throw until we were down 6-0 with just a few minutes left and had to throw. Lucky to get a field goal at the end for a 6-6 tie. Carlos Reveiz made two field goals in the fourth quarter of 55 and 51 yards. My recollection is that the 51 yarder was as time expired or with just a few seconds left.

Remember that night game. Soooooo frustrating to watch.

My favorite Vols team of all time. Robinson would have likely won the Heisman had he not been injured against Bama.

With all due respect to Manning, Robinson was a better all around QB IMHO. Bigger arm and had as much control of offense. Spread it around as much as Manning too

The '85 Auburn game is on youtube. You should take a look at that if you haven't already. That was his best game and Sports Illustrated put him on their cover after that performance. "The Tennessee Waltz".

That cover is my avi, I still have my copy of that SI. One of my favorite games I attended and he is still one of my favorite players.

One of only two games I ever left early. We heard the crowd roar as the tying field goal went through.

JP, where in Germany were you stationed? My brother was stationed in Bamberg from 1986-88, I believe.

Yeah, man, I was in Bamberg, too. I even think we talked about this before. Your brother and I missed each other by less than a year. He was with one of the artillery battalions, I think you said?

85 team was fun but bizzare.

Tied GA Tech...darn near lost to Wake Forest then blasted Miami

VN Store

Back