Finebaum leaving espn?

utchs81

Not sure thread worthy but am hearing reports that pawl may be disgruntled with espn. While not a big fan of him personally he often has some insightful guests on his show and the loss of his show would leave a gap. Mod move if you think appropriate

Reactions: 3 people
Here’s Clay Travis discussing it....

Paul Finebaum Unsigned By ESPN, Drama Builds In SEC-ESPN Relationship - Outkick the Coverage

A snippet...

In an era of high-priced free agents across the sports landscape, one media free agent is creating a stir at ESPN and the SEC — Paul Finebaum remains unsigned as his contract nears expiration next month. Due to what multiple sources have described as incompetence bordering on malfeasance, ESPN has so bungled its negotiations with the SEC Network and ESPN commentator that Finebaum is seriously contemplating offers elsewhere and has let ESPN know that if his deal is not completed in short order he will not be present at SEC Media Days in Atlanta when they begin on July 16th.

According to sources Finebaum, who declined comment to Outkick, was told in October of last year by then-president of ESPN John Skipper not to worry about his soon to expire contract. Nine months later, with limited contact from ESPN executives, Finebaum has now reached the limits of his patience with the network and is preparing to depart. That’s despite substantial efforts by an increasingly frustrated SEC office over ESPN’s inability to get the deal done.

In fact, Outkick has been told that the SEC told ESPN in no uncertain terms to get the Finebaum contract done and ESPN has still been unable or unwilling to follow through. This exacerbates recent tension in the SEC-ESPN relationship that has threatened to explode into public view over ESPN’s decision to launch the ACC Network, a move undertaken despite what sources say was a promise made by former ESPN president John Skipper to former SEC commissioner Mike Slive that ESPN would never partner with another conference to create a network.

Reactions: 14 people
Not sure thread worthy but am hearing reports that pawl may be disgruntled with espn. While not a big fan of him personally he often has some insightful guests on his show and the loss of his show would leave a gap. Mod move if you think appropriate

Hopefully. The only time I ever bother to listen to the radio show is when there's a guest host. Finebaum is terrible.

Reactions: 4 people
Breaking News:

ESPN Confirms the Earth is FLAT......by reporting Earth is Round!?! :blink::blink:

And ESPN Hates Us!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
ESPN and the SEC NETWORK can both go away for all I care! Something better will come along. Next, do away with the NFL!

Reactions: 7 people
ESPN and the SEC NETWORK can both go away for all I care! Something better will come along. Next, do away with the NFL!

As many problems as I have with ESPN I don't know that I really want them to go away, someone might come along to take over covering the rest of the CFB games but I could be wrong but I highly doubt anybody's going to come along and invest a ton of money to cover pretty much all the other SEC sports such as basketball, baseball, etc.

The NFL game with no announcers 30-some (40?) years ago was the right idea. Now is the right time. Sorry blind folks, find a radio broadcast or Internet audio stream.

Reactions: 3 people
Putting Pwal on for 4 hrs was stupid to begin with. It's like watching mushrooms grow.

I did watch alittle of his show when Laura was there for the eye candy.

I don't know of any serious college football fan that watches his show for anything more than comedy. He occasionally does have a guest that will do some serious analysis, but I don't hear anybody say "Man, I wonder what Paul Finebaum thinks about XYZ."

Give the guy credit - he turned a regional, 365-days-a-year Alabama/Auburn smack talk radio show into a national TV show, and is one of the most recognizable media figures in college football. Also interesting that he's a Tennessee native a UT alum, although you'd never know it from watching his show. He was basically an outsider coming into that Birmingham market.

Reactions: 4 people
I watched his show one time. The drunk idiots from Bama call in and talk all kinds of stupid S**t and I never watched it again. No loss to me.

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back