Praise J. Jennings

He kinda had to, considering the ball wasn’t gonna make it to Croom. He jumped up in front of the pile of pups and snatched it out of the air before they got a chance to knock it down. Absolutely the right move and let’s not forget that there’s not a perfect plan for a Hail Mary.

Reactions: 19 people
He kinda had to, considering the ball wasn’t gonna make it to Croom. He jumped up in front of the pile of pups and snatched it out of the air before they got a chance to knock it down. Absolutely the right move and let’s not forget that there’s not a perfect plan for a Hail Mary.

I had the same thought. You draw it up the best you can and hope for the best.

Reactions: 4 people
Reactions: 3 people
I hate to play devil's advocate here, but maybe part of the reason the team didn't win more was because of plays where guys weren't doing their jobs. While I am VERY happy that this play happened, as a coach, it's hard for me not to see that he didn't do his job and decided to put himself above the team.

I am also willing to bet this sort of thing won't fly under the new regime.

Reactions: 2 people
I hate to play devil's advocate here, but maybe part of the reason the team didn't win more was because of plays where guys weren't doing their jobs. While I am VERY happy that this play happened, as a coach, it's hard for me not to see that he didn't do his job and decided to put himself above the team.

It’s. A. Hail. Marry.

Reactions: 20 people
It’s. A. Hail. Marry.

I understand that, but while it was a Hail Mary, they still had a play designed. If it was just a free for all Hail Mary, that is what would have been called. That is all I am saying. Glad the outcome happened the way it did, but players also can't be deciding which play calls they will pay attention to and which ones they won't.

In the article, it even says that Jennings blatantly disregarded his responsibility on that play.

I'd love to hear the opinion of others that have also coached football and get their take. And coached more than just flag or something like that.

hahahahahahahaha *breathes* hahahahahahahaha...

Yeah he shoulda just let it sail. Winning is so selfish.

Reactions: 17 people
I understand that, but while it was a Hail Mary, they still had a play designed. If it was just a free for all Hail Mary, that is what would have been called. That is all I am saying. Glad the outcome happened the way it did, but players also can't be deciding which play calls they will pay attention to and which ones they won't.

In the article, it even says that Jennings blatantly disregarded his responsibility on that play.

I'd love to hear the opinion of others that have also coached football and get their take. And coached more than just flag or something like that.

I think he’s earned a pass. 🙄

Reactions: 6 people
hahahahahahahaha *breathes* hahahahahahahaha...

Yeah he shoulda just let it sail. Winning is so selfish.

You are clearly completely missing the point. Carry on your laughing and keep complaining when they don't win because guys do whatever they feel like on the field. If players weren't conditioned to do their jobs on this play, I am sure it was happening on many other plays as well.

In this instance, I would hope that the coaches told him great job for making that catch and winning the game, but you need to do your job next time which wasn't to be the one jumping up to make the catch.

This is pretty much..........BS.

Reactions: 4 people

That is WAY over-analyzing. There are thousands of examples of athletes straying from the script as plays develop. You can design plays all day long, but once the play starts and you see what the defense is doing, you need your guys to be able to improvise. To your point, if that happens on every play you’re going to have issues. But a desperate Hail Mary attempt at the end of the game is rarely going to work exactly as planned.

Winners are going to do whatever it takes to win. He probably realized it was going to be short and adjusted like WR's are trained to do. He made an incredible catch and I believe that Croom was no where near the ball or to far behind. Winners want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line and we had to winners Josh Dobbs and JJ on that play. Butch's play calling is suspect anyways.

That is WAY over-analyzing. There are thousands of examples of athletes straying from the script as plays develop. You can design plays all day long, but once the play starts and you see what the defense is doing, you need your guys to be able to improvise. To your point, if that happens on every play you’re going to have issues. But a desperate Hail Mary attempt at the end of the game is rarely going to work exactly as planned.

Happens a lot on last play/seconds basketball shots which is kind of what this was. If this is the only time of game player goes off script on do or die plays I'm alright with it

Here are some photos of the last second pass. Josh Smith had his back to the play. Croom was covered by 3-4 defenders before the pass and there were a total of 6 defenders.

If it was just Croom and Smith it would have been either 5 on 2 or 6 on 2.

Jennings seems to make an instinctive decision based on the number of defenders in the endzone and went up for the ball.

Croom was nowhere near that ball due to the amount of defenders body checking him from it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180628-125225.jpg
    Screenshot_20180628-125225.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20180628-125219.jpg
    Screenshot_20180628-125219.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20180628-125213.jpg
    Screenshot_20180628-125213.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: 2 people
Don't care how it was supposed to go down......I just liked a stadium full of broken-hearted dawgies....woof woof my ass

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back