Guarantano "Erratic" at Manning Camp

VolsnRavens

Not the news I was hoping to here. The QB competition could be very interesting during fall camp.

Analyst: Vols' Guarantano 'erratic' but talented, hard worker

Jarrett Guarantano’s performance over the weekend at the annual Manning Passing Academy was something Tennessee fans should be familiar with, according to veteran Louisiana sportswriter, broadcaster and NFL Draft analyst Mike Detillier, who watched Guarantano at the event.

Detillier spoke with former former Tennessee wide receiver and current Knoxville radio host Jayson Swain on Wednesday morning, and his scouting report on Guarantano should sound familiar: big arm, talented arm, inconsistent but working extremely hard to change that.

“I’ll be honest with you, he was a little erratic throwing the ball, but that didn’t surprise me, because he’s working with receivers that he’s never worked with,” Detillier told Swain on The Swain Event. “You come here, you don’t bring the Tennessee Volunteer wide receivers with you. He’s working with receivers from Tulane, LSU, Nicholls State, Southeastern [Louisiana].

I'm not really buying the WR explanation. If that were true, wouldn't all of the QB's at the camp be "erratic"? I hope Helton helps him a great deal, but I'm starting to think Christ was brought in for more than just "motivation".

Reactions: 22 people
I'm not really buying the WR explanation. If that were true, wouldn't all of the QB's at the camp be "erratic"? I hope Helton helps him a great deal, but I'm starting to think Christ was brought in for more than just "motivation".

With Christ on our team I just don’t see how we can go wrong.

Reactions: 75 people
Not the news I was hoping to here. The QB competition could be very interesting during fall camp.

Jarrett Guarantano’s performance over the weekend at the annual Manning Passing Academy was something Tennessee fans should be familiar with, according to veteran Louisiana sportswriter, broadcaster and NFL Draft analyst Mike Detillier, who watched Guarantano at the event.

Detillier spoke with former former Tennessee wide receiver and current Knoxville radio host Jayson Swain on Wednesday morning, and his scouting report on Guarantano should sound familiar: big arm, talented arm, inconsistent but working extremely hard to change that.

“I’ll be honest with you, he was a little erratic throwing the ball, but that didn’t surprise me, because he’s working with receivers that he’s never worked with,” Detillier told Swain on The Swain Event. “You come here, you don’t bring the Tennessee Volunteer wide receivers with you. He’s working with receivers from Tulane, LSU, Nicholls State, Southeastern [Louisiana].

So, you trust Detillier when he says Guarantano was “erratic”....so much so that you started this thread. But, when he gives the primary reason why he believes Guarantano was “erratic”, you’re “not buying it”. Alrighty then.

Reactions: 29 people
There's also this... he's clearly working on a lot of things.

“For (Guarantano), it was interesting,” Detillier said. “He was part of the interview session on the Friday, and I got to talk to him, and one of the things he brought up to me, and I saw it in the practice sessions with him, was him getting better taking snaps under center, the quicker release for him, the quick three-step drop and getting rid of the football with better timing and better balance. That’s what we was working on.”

Reactions: 14 people

If you can’t be motivated by Christ, then you’re beyond help

Reactions: 12 people
Let the Volnation Histrionics BEGIN!!! :blink:

picture.php

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Not new news he is erratic....Stay calm.

He wasn’t erratic in the Spring game. He wasn’t even erratic last season.....when he stepped up to throw the ball on time he was good. He simply wasn’t good, at all, at getting rid of the ball and not taking bad sacks. That was his issue. If JP and Helton coach him up and get him squared away there, we’re gonna have a very good SEC QB imo.

Reactions: 9 people
Another OP who is trying to attract a lot of attention with a half-ars post. A little bit erratic doesn't seem to warrant the title of the post. I don't understand why so-called Vol fans want to emphasize the negatives in their posts. I guess they may not be Vol fans. If one wants to provide information, please make sure it is accurate.

Reactions: 9 people
Another OP who is trying to attract a lot of attention with a half-ars post. A little bit erratic doesn't seem to warrant the title of the post. I don't understand why so-called Vol fans want to emphasize the negatives in their posts. I guess they may not be Vol fans. If one wants to provide information, please make sure the subject of the post is accurate.

Last edited:
Another OP who is trying to attract a lot of attention with a half-ars post. A little bit erratic doesn't seem to warrant the title of the post. I don't understand why so-called Vol fans want to emphasize the negatives in their posts. I guess they may not be Vol fans. If one wants to provide information, please make sure it is accurate.

Please. Its all about blind optimism versus cautiously optimistic versus living in reality. Some fans blindly believe Tennessee is going to win 19 games this year and the world cup. I'd say most fans are hoping for the best but realize there are way too many unknowns in coaching and too many knowns in bad football players to really get too excited about success this fall. Then there are the rest of the fans who know most of that 4-8 team is coming back this year and there is a new head coach who has never coached as a HC in college before coming to Knoxville.. understand its going to be a bumpy, bumpy ride.

Reactions: 6 people
Please. Its all about blind optimism versus cautiously optimistic versus living in reality. Some fans blindly believe Tennessee is going to win 19 games this year and the world cup. I'd say most fans are hoping for the best but realize there are way too many unknowns in coaching and too many knowns in bad football players to really get too excited about success this fall. Then there are the rest of the fans who know most of that 4-8 team is coming back this year and there is a new head coach who has never coached as a HC in college before coming to Knoxville.. understand its going to be a bumpy, bumpy ride.

Doesn't have a thing to do with being accurate with one's information.

Reactions: 7 people
So, you trust Detillier when he says Guarantano was “erratic”....so much so that you started this thread. But, when he gives the primary reason why he believes Guarantano was “erratic”, you’re “not buying it”. Alrighty then.

I'm not understanding what the issue with this is.

Reactions: 1 person
QB position is Guarantano's to win or lose...the way it should be...believe he'll win the job...don't care what "expert" is trying to get a rise out of me...:)...and,

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people

So the same guy that says JG was a little erratic and then goes on to say why ... but the OP is all in on the bad and the explanation “ doesn’t buy it “. And the EXACT same guy had both opinions.

So JG should keep working and not take the summer off ? Happy we have that cleared up. Can someone ge tun touch w JG to inform him that we as fans are of the opinion that he should keep practicing this summer.

That should give this young man all the insight he needs , no coaching required.

It'd be OK if he was a little erratic throwing the ball if he was a true dual threat QB. I know he was a true freshman last year and the offensive line was terrible, but he doesn't seem to be a dual threat to me. He moved in the pocket well, but not much elusiveness or speed once the play breaks down.

VN Store

Back