"Tribute to The Voice" John Ward special on Wednesday

VolsnRavens

Tennessee's John Ward celebration will be streamed live

The University of Tennessee announced Monday that Wednesday’s “Tribute to ‘The Voice’” event to honor longtime Voice of the Vols John Ward will be streamed live, after all.

Initial plans for Wednesday’s 6 p.m. Eastern event at Thompson-Boling Arena didn’t include a live stream for fans who couldn’t attend the ceremony in person, but those plans were changed following a widespread demand for them to change.

Ward, who spent four decades establishing himself as one of the most iconic voices in American sports, passed away last week at the age of 88 after a lengthy battle with illness.

The Wednesday event, according to Tennessee sports information, “will take on a celebratory tone and is intended as a way for Ward's friends and Tennessee fans to honor the incredible impact that he made on generations of Big Orange faithful during a rousing, Hall of Fame career behind the microphone that exceeded 30 years.”

Public seating for the event will be general admission, and Tennessee’s release said all bags may be subject to search upon entry. Free parking will be available in the G10 and G16 garages on campus. Fans also will have access to free parking in administrative G3 and G5 garages after 5 p.m. Eastern.?
Fans will have access to the arena beginning at 5 p.m. Eastern via gates B, C, D and E at Thompson-Boling. Traditional gameday ADA entrances — the basketball lobby and Arena Dining entrances on Phillip Fulmer Way — will be open.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee's John Ward celebration will be streamed live

The University of Tennessee announced Monday that Wednesday’s “Tribute to ‘The Voice’” event to honor longtime Voice of the Vols John Ward will be streamed live, after all.

Initial plans for Wednesday’s 6 p.m. Eastern event at Thompson-Boling Arena didn’t include a live stream for fans who couldn’t attend the ceremony in person, but those plans were changed following a widespread demand for them to change.

Ward, who spent four decades establishing himself as one of the most iconic voices in American sports, passed away last week at the age of 88 after a lengthy battle with illness.

The Wednesday event, according to Tennessee sports information, “will take on a celebratory tone and is intended as a way for Ward's friends and Tennessee fans to honor the incredible impact that he made on generations of Big Orange faithful during a rousing, Hall of Fame career behind the microphone that exceeded 30 years.”

Public seating for the event will be general admission, and Tennessee’s release said all bags may be subject to search upon entry. Free parking will be available in the G10 and G16 garages on campus. Fans also will have access to free parking in administrative G3 and G5 garages after 5 p.m. Eastern.?
Fans will have access to the arena beginning at 5 p.m. Eastern via gates B, C, D and E at Thompson-Boling. Traditional gameday ADA entrances — the basketball lobby and Arena Dining entrances on Phillip Fulmer Way — will be open.

Roll call, anyone going? I'm torn.. Busy here, but I started listening to Ward with my Dad (basketball) back in the mid 60s. Met him several times. He seems like an old friend. I told my son - Very rare you come across a person in life that nothing bad has ever really been said about. I can't imagine John Ward ever ticking someone off. Humility, intelligence and hard work defined this man.

I'm sure the folks lined up to tell stories will be amazing. How could it not be?

So, if I'm in my car before 11:00 or so, it'll work. Got to remember to bring a hanky.

Roll call, anyone going? I'm torn.. Busy here, but I started listening to Ward with my Dad (basketball) back in the mid 60s. Met him several times. He seems like an old friend. I told my son - Very rare you come across a person in life that nothing bad has ever really been said about. I can't imagine John Ward ever ticking someone off. Humility, intelligence and hard work defined this man.

I'm sure the folks lined up to tell stories will be amazing. How could it not be?

So, if I'm in my car before 11:00 or so, it'll work. Got to remember to bring a hanky.

Wish I could! If you go, please share your experience. So glad I can stream it here in Destin.

Better bring several hankies. I will stream it from my workstation in Texas.

Did John ever explain the neck towel? I never heard him speak of it. Anyone know?

Seems like I remember him saying in one of the videos that it helped his throat.

Edit* Found this ....

I wear a blue towel, basically for therapeutic reasons. It’s not a corny … I don’t wear the towel because it’s tradition. I do, to a certain degree. But it’s therapeutic. The reason it started, it was a basketball game in 1967. Tennessee played at Mississippi State for the SEC basketball championship. Three teams had come to the final night of the season with a chance to win the SEC championship. Florida, coached by Tommy Bartlett, a good friend of mine, Vanderbilt and Tennessee. If Tennessee won at Mississippi State, Tennessee would be the outright champion with a record of 15-3, the other teams would be 14-4. The game went triple overtime. It was played in an old gym and our broadcast position was right back against the wall. And behind us was a window. The window, though closed, had a draft, the wind was coming through. It was getting to my throat. And in those days I worked with the late Lowell Blanchard and I told him as we went into the third overtime, I said there’s now way, my throat is gone. I can’t make it. So we went down to the Tennessee bench and got a towel and put it around like a scarf. And it warmed my throat. And I made it through the broadcast. And from that point on I’ve always worn a towel. Not to wear a towel, but because it keeps my throat warm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Seems like I remember him saying in one of the videos that it helped his throat.

Edit* Found this ....

I wear a blue towel, basically for therapeutic reasons. It’s not a corny … I don’t wear the towel because it’s tradition. I do, to a certain degree. But it’s therapeutic. The reason it started, it was a basketball game in 1967. Tennessee played at Mississippi State for the SEC basketball championship. Three teams had come to the final night of the season with a chance to win the SEC championship. Florida, coached by Tommy Bartlett, a good friend of mine, Vanderbilt and Tennessee. If Tennessee won at Mississippi State, Tennessee would be the outright champion with a record of 15-3, the other teams would be 14-4. The game went triple overtime. It was played in an old gym and our broadcast position was right back against the wall. And behind us was a window. The window, though closed, had a draft, the wind was coming through. It was getting to my throat. And in those days I worked with the late Lowell Blanchard and I told him as we went into the third overtime, I said there’s now way, my throat is gone. I can’t make it. So we went down to the Tennessee bench and got a towel and put it around like a scarf. And it warmed my throat. And I made it through the broadcast. And from that point on I’ve always worn a towel. Not to wear a towel, but because it keeps my throat warm.

Look at that beautiful description, of wearing a neck towel for the first time -- Awesome !

All of the details -- but yet they're simple ... the story of a visit to an "old" gym" and the feel of a window "draft."

Thank you for your service and a Wonderful Life, Sir !

I sure wish that I could attend as John Ward was simply the best. I hope there is a good turnout of fans. Ward is very deserving of this Tribute. Hopefully, I will get to watch the event on replay.

I remember Ward's voice describing every Vegas Davis steal and CJ Black block, before Pearl, or Buzz, or Greene were ever around. Back when nobody else cared about basketball, and the team was rarely on tv.

Those Saturdays that I was too busy stacking hay bails,he was always there, making me a lot less grumpy about not seeing the football game.

Reactions: 4 people
I remember Ward's voice describing every Vegas Davis steal and CJ Black block, before Pearl, or Buzz, or Greene were ever around. Back when nobody else cared about basketball, and the team was rarely on tv.

Those Saturdays that I was too busy stacking hay bails,he was always there, making me a lot less grumpy about not seeing the football game.
i’m with you ape... down to the hay stacking or manure shoveling!! I listened to a lot of bad basketball but the call of the game was perfection!!A few years down the road when things really started looking up “the sec eastern division champions are clad in big orange!Now where have I heard that before?” The last call I remember him making and perhaps my favorite

Last edited:
A raft of guys from my hometown would meet up on game days at the park and we would play touch listening to John Ward on a big old transistor radio.

Last edited:
Who ever was responsible for setting this up and running it, bravo. My God that was fantastic.

Reactions: 1 person
Great job by UT. Very heart-warming and just for such a great man.

When I started hearing that great voice at the beginning, the memories flooded. Great to relive each and every one. Truly, a great one is gone.

I dont know about anyone else but I am so filled with pride after watching that tribute. I'd rather go 0-12 every year as a Tennessee fan than 12-0 as a fan of any other college program! GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Agreed. It's so rare to find folks like John these days. A man that you will 100% respect and doesn't even have to demand it.

For sure, I was just 9 when John called the NC game. Dad made it a point to turn the T.V. down and the radio up. I feel honored that I got to grow up knowing Johns calls.

I truly feel like I lost a family member.

VN Store

Back