A little John Ward ... and a little Hope

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
This old video clip combines two things that resonate right now: the voice of Mr. John Ward, and hope in the midst of despair.

The 1998 Arkansas game--the last two minutes of that game--are a lot like a microcosm of the Volunteers fortunes coming out of 2017 and heading into 2018. Dark. Dark, but with hope, too.

I know you've certainly seen it before, but...maybe not lately.

Listen to John Ward tell it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjEQfkx7TS8[/youtube]

Reactions: 19 people
I remember that game, I was in high school and my Dad surprised me by saying early that morning that we should drive down and catch the game. It was my first Neyland experience and for most of the game we had little to celebrate.

After we failed to convert on 4th down the exodus started, but we stayed holding onto hope of a miracle. I remember the other game finals being announced and knew if we could pull this one off we would be #1. Also, if I recall correctly Al Wilson was battling a shoulder injury during that game as well.

When Billy Ratliff forced the lineman back with a bull rush which caused him to step on Stoerner's foot and fumble, everyone around me got a popcorn shower as I was too excited to care, I just wanted to celebrate.

From that point on Travis Henry took the game over. We pounded the rock all the way home. The following season in Fayetteville we were in a similar situation with a final drive and the game on the line. This time though we failed to keep it on the ground and it cost us the game.

#coolstorybro

Reactions: 18 people
I remember that game, I was in high school and my Dad surprised me by saying early that morning that we should drive down and catch the game. It was my first Neyland experience and for most of the game we had little to celebrate.

After we failed to convert on 4th down the exodus started, but we stayed holding onto hope of a miracle. I remember the other game finals being announced and knew if we could pull this one off we would be #1. Also, if I recall correctly Al Wilson was battling a shoulder injury during that game as well.

When Billy Ratliff forced the lineman back with a bull rush which caused him to step on Stoerner's foot and fumble, everyone around me got a popcorn shower as I was too excited to care, I just wanted to celebrate.

From that point on Travis Henry took the game over. We pounded the rock all the way home. The following season in Fayetteville we were in a similar situation with a final drive and the game on the line. This time though we failed to keep it on the ground and it cost us the game.

#coolstorybro

You deserve a like for that memory, unfortunately, had tickets for that game and got rid of them because of forecast, very stupid, and have regretted every day.

Reactions: 2 people
John's passing made me feel nostalgic and I watched the 85 Sugar Bowl tonight. Man what a game, but seeing this video(above) makes me want to watch the 1998 season on Youtube.

Reactions: 5 people

#coolstorybro

That's a great memory, thanks for sharing it.

I was glued to the telephone with my dad back in Tennessee. Couldn't even get the game on radio where I was stationed, so he stood in the garage with the radio on, repeating to me each play as it happened.

We almost hung up after that 4th down. But stayed on the line just another minute, getting my mom back to the phone, saying our goodbyes. Then the stumble and fumble.

Getting it third-hand, through my dad, barely hearing John Ward's voice in the background, somehow made it even more special. Will never forget that game, not as long as I live.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people

I was glued to the telephone with my dad back in Tennessee. Couldn't even get the game on radio where I was stationed, so he stood in the garage with the radio on, repeating to me each play as it happened.

We almost hung up after that 4th down. But stayed on the line just another minute, getting my mom back to the phone, saying our goodbyes. Then the stumble and fumble.

Getting it third-hand, through my dad, barely hearing John Ward's voice in the background, somehow made it even more special. Will never forget that game, not as long as I live.
I did that a couple of times with my dad during the 89 season. I called him and he held the receiver to the radio speaker so I could hear John Ward call the game. The long distance bill was off the charts, but it was worth it.

Reactions: 1 person
This old video clip combines two things that resonate right now: the voice of Mr. John Ward, and hope in the midst of despair.

The 1998 Arkansas game--the last two minutes of that game--are a lot like a microcosm of the Volunteers fortunes coming out of 2017 and heading into 2018. Dark. Dark, but with hope, too.

I was at that game. No joke I thought it was over. My Friend said just wait this next play we will get the ball back and sterner fumbled. True story

Reactions: 4 people
I wasn't really old enough to understand when this happened, but I can't tell you how many times I've watched this video. It still gives me goosebumps and I couldn't imagine watching it live. The only thing I could compare it to would be the Georgia game in 2016. Me and my then girlfriend were out in my car listening to it on lunch at work and when Georgia threw the hail mary I shut it off and was so mad for a few minutes. Then for some reason I turned it back on just to hear if anything else happened and they were snapping the ball and we threw the hail mary and i lost it.

When I was a kid, my parents didn't "believe" in cable so for many Tennessee football and basketball games, I'd be down in the garage working on some project or the other with the radio on listening to John Ward. Those are some great memories. I'd pretend I was playing for Tennessee and roll up a pair of socks to be the football or basketball and do my own play by play of scoring to win during the commercials. This was before internet was mainstream so I'd run out to the front yard and grab the newspaper so I could go straight to the sports section and hang on every word.

Reactions: 5 people
I was at that game. The loudest game I have ever been too when the fumble happened and Travis Henry scored. I was listening to John Ward on my head phones. Couldn't hear anything he said.

Reactions: 8 people
I was there too. With my brother, I've never left a game... but couldn't stand the thought of "viewing" a loss that late in the season!! I said "bro I can't take it let's ease toward the "tunnel". We no sooner turned into it and I heard the crowd..... It was beyond explaining...... I turned and looked at my brother's face.... He was grinning from ear to ear, we just KNEW something happened (the fumble)!! Climbed back into our seats and screamed our heads off. I was at every home game that year, including the Florida win however I believe that was the best game. Such a rollercoaster of emotion that night!

I loved listening to Mr.John Ward, he made you
experience it in 3D even if it didn't exist at that time

I remember being at that game like it was yesterday (I was 15). It was the only time my Dad left early for a game. Told Dad we should not leave but he was so pissed after Tee didn't convert on 4th down. Pops was almost incoherent with anger. We did not make if far out the door and heard the roar from the crowd once CS stumbled and fumbled. Ushers and security had no chance of holding the crowd back from rushing back inside the stadium. Got to watch the last drive of T. Henry pounding the rock down Arky's throat. One of the best if not the best FB game experiences EVER!

Had season tickets at that time, and me and my wife were at the game. I actually missed seeing the fumble. After, we failed on the 4th down attempt, I set down and buried my face in my hands. People around me were still standing. The next thing I hear is a big roar, I stand and we have the ball. One of the great games in my memory.

When it was announced we were going to the Championship game, I told my wife we were definitely going because it might be my only opportunity to watch Tennessee live in a National Championship Game.

Reactions: 6 people
You pick up some lucky breaks but also many times get the breaks you deserve (thru effort). Hoping Pruitt brings back some of the mojo...

I was forced to watch the game with several Arkansas people. I was just a teenager and I remember the hogs fans jumping and running around because they thought they had won the game. Then the fumble....All of them just left after the game. No bye, congrats, good games, nothing they all just left. I got to celebrate with some family. Nothing like it ever.

I was forced to watch the game with several Arkansas people. I was just a teenager and I remember the hogs fans jumping and running around because they thought they had won the game. Then the fumble....All of them just left after the game. No bye, congrats, good games, nothing they all just left. I got to celebrate with some family. Nothing like it ever.

Totally awesome that you were there. Happy for you. Memory of a lifetime, that.

I have been fortunate to witness in person three miraculous Vol comeback games, and this was #2 on the list:

1. Miracle in South Bend
2. Arkansas Game
3. Syracuse Game

Thanks for sharing John Wards version of this game. Priceless....

Thanks JP.. Goosebumps. I was there, fair weather fan I am...stowing my binoculars - case under the bleachers. Bent down to grab it, and when I lifted my head up, we had the ball, so I totally missed the fumble, which was on the yardline directly in front of my seat. Oh well, the next couple of minutes were great!

I have been fortunate to witness in person three miraculous Vol comeback games, and this was #2 on the list:

1. Miracle in South Bend
2. Arkansas Game
3. Syracuse Game

Thanks for sharing John Wards version of this game. Priceless....

How lucky you've been, those are three great ones! In fact, you could put those three games (esp the first two) along with the '85 Sugar Bowl and the Dobbnail Boot vs UGa, and that would be a pretty good set of candidates for most thrilling Tennessee games of the modern era.

Thanks JP.. Goosebumps. I was there, fair weather fan I am...stowing my binoculars - case under the bleachers. Bent down to grab it, and when I lifted my head up, we had the ball, so I totally missed the fumble, which was on the yardline directly in front of my seat. Oh well, the next couple of minutes were great!

Ha! PT, you're like the fourth or fifth person who has shared that they missed the fumble.

I wonder if maybe as many as a third of the fans at the stadium that night might have missed it. Kinda funny, if so.

I lived in Murfreesboro that year and was not at the game. Wife and I decided to go to the comedy club In Nashville and see Victoria Jackson. When I went in, I thought UT was finished. Then I heard some people whooping it up and wasn't sure what was going on. I soon learned what happen. :)

Thank you for posting this. We were there, 45 yard line, press box side. It’s the greatest game I’ve ever witnessed. The kids just wouldn’t accept losing. Too many great plays by the team to single out individuals.

Even in the pouring rain, the crowd was amazing - we didn’t give up either!

VN Store

Back