The best John Ward tribute of all time

I remember the days when we turned down the sound on the TV, and turned on John Ward for gamedays. I'll treasure those memories and miss them always. Rest in peace, Mr. Ward, it was our honor and pleasure to have listened to you all those years.

Reactions: 10 people
I remember the days when we turned down the sound on the TV, and turned on John Ward for gamedays. I'll treasure those memories and miss them always. Rest in peace, Mr. Ward, it was our honor and pleasure to have listened to you all those years.

Oh yes, he was always a moment or two behind, but it didn't matter.... He made you feel like you were there. A great man doing a great job, he will be missed

Reactions: 1 person

We did that too. I guess a bunch of dust has gathered on those tubes since then.

cut my teeth as a young Vol fan listening to John on the radio, before cable,
satellite TV, and when most got 3 TV stations back in the late 60's, I loved to
hear him after the extra point kick - "the kick is up and it's GOOOOOOOOOOOD!"

Reactions: 1 person
One thing that is hardly ever mentioned about John Ward is he was a gentleman of the sport and as an announcer. You never questioned who he represented. The other thing I often think about, was that I never heard him make unkind remarks about an opponent. Unlike his counterparts from other schools' play by play crews. (ref. the clown from Ga. to name one)

Reactions: 3 people
I’ve been upset all evening. Stopped trivia when I heard the news and played this in Knoxville and it got me in the feels
Tennessee Football - John Ward Announcer - Greatest Play Calls - YouTube

I feel old today. When I was a child in the mountains of East Tennessee and the voice came over the radio bringing the games, football and basketball, I tuned in. My dreams were being lived out down in Knoxville and this artist with words, painting a moving picture in my mind, brought forth the full emotions of victory and defeat. Always the radio was on as there were so few televised games then.

We were young and did not think of death back then. My Great Grandparents, Grandparents and Parents were alive, heroes always lived in the movies and I had not experienced the passing of friends. Now, sadly, my heroes are mostly gone, the elders of the family passed and the icons of my youth seem so distant. One by one their "graduation from life" brings the reality of my day approaching. I miss the carefree days of youth.

John Ward signed my program at the St Johns basketball game in the old Stokely Arena, signed my daughters' programs outside Neyland in the 90s and my grandson's jacket a few years ago. Always kind and caring for all the fans, John had a gift to share: an encouraging word.

Goodbye John Ward.

Reactions: 9 people
I feel old today. When I was a child in the mountains of East Tennessee and the voice came over the radio bringing the games, football and basketball, I tuned in. My dreams were being lived out down in Knoxville and this artist with words, painting a moving picture in my mind, brought forth the full emotions of victory and defeat. Always the radio was on as there were so few televised games then.

We were young and did not think of death back then. My Great Grandparents, Grandparents and Parents were alive, heroes always lived in the movies and I had not experienced the passing of friends. Now, sadly, my heroes are mostly gone, the elders of the family passed and the icons of my youth seem so distant. One by one their "graduation from life" brings the reality of my day approaching. I miss the carefree days of youth.

John Ward signed my program at the St Johns basketball game in the old Stokely Arena, signed my daughters' programs outside Neyland in the 90s and my grandson's jacket a few years ago. Always kind and caring for all the fans, John had a gift to share: an encouraging word.

Goodbye John Ward.

Nicely stated Dave, and I certainly appreciate your sentiments regarding your days of youth listening and learning about UT Football and Basketball from John over the radio. In many ways that was a simpler time.

Two days ago when I heard the unfortunate news of John's passing I like may older Vol fans immediately felt that part of my childhood passed with him.

John was without a doubt the best in his business, and he will certainly be missed. However, the Voice of the Vols will live forever in our memories.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back