Off season trivia question. The SEC is the only one.

Vfl2407

Of the Power Five Conferences, the SEC is the only one that does not have one of these.
After reading the question, give yourself only five minutes (you are on the honor system), before scrolling down to see the answer.
Winner winner, chicken dinner for the person who gets the correct answer in the least amount of time.

The SEC is the only Power Five Conference where none of its members uses this color as one of its two primary colors.
What is that color?
P.S. please don’t ruin the game with a spoiler naming the color in your answer. Just state if you know it and how long it took you to think of it. Thanks.
P.S.S. Bonus points if you know the schools in the 4 other conferences that use this color.

Green
ACC - Miami
Big 12 - Baylor
Big 10 - Mich State
PAC 12 - Oregon

Last edited:
The correct answer occurred to me right away.
I'm not sure why, but maybe because I'm special.
I've always liked Marshall, too.

Heh, 2407, I think a lot of folks are going to immediately guess the answer, since I posted the key info in another thread just a few weeks ago:

Heh, yep.

Green is the only primary color that is neutral in the SEC.

Several versions of red.
A few blues.
One purple.
Plenty of yellows and golds.
One awesome orange, and a couple of orange/blue combos.
Some whites as secondary colors.
Some blacks as secondary colors.
Even a couple of browns (well, maroons).

But no green.

So if he feels the need to get wild and crazy once in a while, leave the orange and white at home, green is about the best choice out there.

And such an eye-popping bright green it is!

Who knows, that post may even be the sub-conscious catalyst behind you starting this thread. :)

Heh, 2407, I think a lot of folks are going to immediately guess the answer, since I posted the key info in another thread just a few weeks ago:

Who knows, that post may even be the sub-conscious catalyst behind you starting this thread. :)

Oh well. :huh:
A few newbies may not have seen your post.

Oh well. :huh:
A few newbies may not have seen your post.

It's a great trivia question. I especially liked you pointing out that the other four Power 5 conferences each only have a single team with green. Never realized that before you said. it. :hi:

p.s. As a little kid, I kind of thought green was somehow one of Tennessee's colors. Combination of our license plates being green and white, and that song in the Davy Crockett ballad about "greenest state in the land of the free." So I just always, without thinking about it, thought: orange, white, green. Wasn't until I was 10 or 11, and went to my first Vols game, that I realized it's just orange and white.

Irish-ancestry Tennesseans would be happy, though. :)

Last edited:
Took me 10 seconds to come up with the color, but couldn't come up with the schools.

For some reason I knew it as soon as I read it. Don't know why I guess just don't see the color anywhere during the SEC seasons, football or otherwise. Another big reason I don't like "this color" on any team.
Not that I'm this good on "guess" games, usually to slow to answer. But this time hurrah for me.

Come up with another one.

Of the D1 football conferences, what does the Big XII have in common with the Sun Belt and the MAC?

And no, the answer isn't "Defense Optional"

HINT: Like buttholes, every team in each of these conferences has one. Winner of the trivia gets e-Cred and a Like (I have no gift cards to offer!)

Last edited:
No team uses brown either.

Texas A&M and Mississippi State both have maroon and white as their primary colors. Maroon is brown with just a smidgen of red thrown in. It can look purplish in some light conditions.

In fact, "maroon" comes from the French name for the Chestnut tree, "marron," and translates directly as "brown" from French.

Try it, google up an english-french translator, and type "marron" in the French side.

So in most people's books, we have two teams with a version of brown as their color.

220px-Texas_A%26M_University_seal.svg.png
250px-Mississippi_State_University_logo.svg.png

Last edited:
Teams in the other Power 5 conferences.

Not only does the SEC have two teams with maroon as one of their main colors, but every other conference arguably has a team with some version of brown, as well (the hardest to argue is Texas). Most of these include some shade of maroon, just like A&M and Miss. State:
  • ACC - Virginia Tech - maroon and orange (a purple-looking maroon, if you ask me)
  • B10 - Minnesota - maroon and gold
  • PAC - Arizona State - maroon and gold (though their version of maroon is very reddish, almost pink)
  • B12 - Texas - burnt orange (some would call that brown. It's a very orange-y brown, though)

250px-Virginia_Tech_logo.svg.png

250px-University_of_Minnesota_wordmark.png

180px-Arizona_State_University_seal.svg.png

250px-University_of_Texas_at_Austin_logo.svg.png

Note: I'm not the one calling these various colors "maroon"; the schools themselves list that as the color name. I do agree that they run the gamut from very purple-looking to very red-looking. Of all the maroon-color teams, Mississippi State and Minnesota's versions looks the most brown to me.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back