Forbes: Tennessee Has Huge Gap In Recruiting Spending ...

Think they are going to have a big study on how much revenue Women's athletics bring in vs Men's? and how much we spend (lose) on women's programs vs men's? Yeah, didnt think we would see that study front and center on ESPN any time soon either. Inconvenient truth indeed.

Reactions: 15 people
I love how they fail to mention the difference in quantity of student athletes... Football alone accounts for at least 85 more male student athletes than women. Maybe this study should have broken it down to dollars spent per scholarship athlete. I bet the gap wouldn't be so large then...

Bottom line - we spend too much money - on both men and womens programs - to have so little to show for it.

I truly believe having Coach Phillip Fulmer in charge, finally, will have a dynamic effect on across all athletic programs.

Reactions: 9 people
Odd Title. Just shows that we spend a ton on men's recruiting, not that we spend little on women's. Our stuff might actually be on the books too. I know for sure Alabama has a lot off the books.

Reactions: 1 person
Think they are going to have a big study on how much revenue Women's athletics bring in vs Men's? and how much we spend (lose) on women's programs vs men's? Yeah, didnt think we would see that study front and center on ESPN any time soon either. Inconvenient truth indeed.
Gandalf is wise...article is meh. :blink:

Our Return On Investment has been woefully weak, obviously.
That will be CJP biggest challenge to change.

This statement seemed pointed, "it’s easy to see why schools spend big on recruiting in an attempt to be competitive on the gridiron."

The best way to recruit women is by improving the value of the degree, as professional sports opportunities are rare. The degree has to work.

I would like to see Pruitt focus the University on improving the value of the degree as a means of recruiting well in the SEC.

The "Graduate Transfer" success has the right words around it.

It’s because we have to recruit the country for football.

Not really. This ain’t 1995. We’ll get the majority of our players from the southeast, particularly Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, the Carolinas and now, with this staff, perhaps Alabama. Look at our 2019 class right now....5 from Georgia, 1 from North Carolina, 1 from Alabama, 1 from Tennessee, 1 from Mississippi (who’s from Tennessee) and 1 from a Kansas Community College.

Now, it looks like this staff is more willing to go to the west coast for players, primarily due to Helton’s ties imo, but I believe they’ll wind up spending the overwhelming majority of their time and will ultimately sign the majority of their recruits from the Southeast. So I don’t think “scouring the entire country for recruits” really applies here.

Men's recruiting is more competitive especially in football compared to any women's sport. I doubt we'll ever see a study on the revenue gap between men and women's sports.

Perhaps this deals with "prioritize" and "compete," which even Forbes must manage // revenue and costs / maximizing revenues, earnings, expenditures, which is standard for all businesses and departments.

3 Ways Forbes is Growing Programmatic Ad Revenue

Forbes CTO Michael Dugan, speaking on "header bidding" and "how dynamic allocation helps Forbes prioritize direct and programmatic campaigns."

"How do we allow our programmatic inventory to compete -- basically, how to we raise the floor on programmatic in a way that doesn't make it, you know, a dollar/dollar-fifty cpm?"

Has zero to do with equality and everything to do with return on investments . $$$

Typically how many recruits do we sign for football in a given year vs. how many are signed for women's basketball?

I didn't see any reference to this in the article but I skimmed through it pretty quickly.

Seems a better comparison would be man's vs. women's b'ball recruiting expenses.

Unless you are new to Tennessee athletics, this is not new news. Tennessee's football program has had the largest recruiting budget in the country for many years. This was established I believe when Majors was coach because of the talent shortfall in the state of Tennessee.

Fulmer took huge advantage of this, along with the other 3 smucks that followed. JP needs to continue but follow the Fulmer pattern of players and personnel to get us back where we were.

:thud:

Bottom line - we spend too much money - on both men and womens programs - to have so little to show for it.

I truly believe having Coach Phillip Fulmer in charge, finally, will have a dynamic effect on across all athletic programs.

Definitely too much for Women's BB coach.

Odd Title. Just shows that we spend a ton on men's recruiting, not that we spend little on women's. Our stuff might actually be on the books too. I know for sure Alabama has a lot off the books.

When Pat was here, we didn't have to spend any money to lure young female athletes to UT.

The article explains that the difference is because Tennessee spends near the top on both men’s and women’s recruiting. It is just a bad title and the whole article seems to undo the initial assumption of inequity. I’d take that as positive press since it shows that UT spends a lot on women too.

The article explains that the difference is because Tennessee spends near the top on both men’s and women’s recruiting. It is just a bad title and the whole article seems to undo the initial assumption of inequity. I’d take that as positive press since it shows that UT spends a lot on women too.
The title says that it “isn’t so simple,” and the second paragraph says it’s “not as bad as it sounds.” Anyone calling this clickbait or suggesting that it’s some sort of hit piece is incredibly lazy.

I love how they fail to mention the difference in quantity of student athletes... Football alone accounts for at least 85 more male student athletes than women. Maybe this study should have broken it down to dollars spent per scholarship athlete. I bet the gap wouldn't be so large then...

Exactly, and my first thought. There are a lot of football players recruited, and not all are even on scholarship. For every football player successfully enrolled there are several more recruited. The author's stab at numbers was disingenuous at best

It’s not like they neglect to spend on women’s recruiting – Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee were all in the top six in women's spending, in fact – but the gap is so large because of the significant money they dedicate to recruiting men’s sports, specifically football.

Considering football’s status as the top revenue generator for most major athletic departments, it’s easy to see why schools spend big on recruiting in an attempt to be competitive on the gridiron. But that can lead to sizable spending gaps like those that exist at the aforementioned programs.

Apparently the author believes schools spend haphazardly on football players rather than considering the extreme recruiting competition. For example, ever see a Rivals recruiting standings chart for swimmers or golfers or tennis players?

VN Store

Back