Tennessee spending over $1.2 million for Craig Fitzgerald, weight room renovations

VolsnRavens

I don't see the big deal in spending the money if the results are there. And as the article states, the early returns of a lot less injuries, have already been there.

Tennessee spending over $1.2 million for Craig Fitzgerald, weight room renovations for 2018

To this point, Phillip Fulmer and Tennessee are doing everything in their power to give Jeremy Pruitt everything he needs to build the football team in Knoxville back into an elite SEC program. That’s something Fulmer pledged he would do when he introduced Pruitt as the new face of Tennessee football back in December and he’s been true to his word to this point.

That means Tennessee will spend over $1.2 million on Fitzgerald and his weights this year — and that doesn’t even get into the salaries paid to his weight training staff in Knoxville — to help elevate the injury and lack of physical development issues experienced on Rocky Top in recent seasons. If Fitzgerald helps fix those issues, the hefty price tag will be well worth it for the Vols, as the program will need all the healthy bodies it can get if a quick turnaround on the field is going to happen.

We need some strong Vols this fall to beat some people up and get some wins!! Go Vols!!

Reactions: 5 people
refreshing. winning is important.

and fun for all involved!!!

Before people comment on the $1.2MM, how much did it cost us in 2016 when we lost the A&M, USCe, and Vandy games due to injuries/lack of S&C.....

Reactions: 9 people
1.2 Mil is a drop in the bucket, we pay more to fire people around here.

Besides, ask Bama how much they spend on their SC coach and weight training....

Reactions: 13 people
I wonder what serious surgery and lengthy rehabs for nearly every other player on the roster under Butch was costing us, though?

Not even considering the lost attendance and merchandise sells here, we probably won't spend as much as it looks like on the surface.

Reactions: 2 people

From the article:

"The early returns following Fitzgerald’s hire have been overwhelmingly positive, as the team did not suffer any significant injuries during spring practice. In year’s past, that type of news seemed like a weekly, if not daily occurrence on Rocky Top."

Doesn't address specific games mentioned, but the correlation to injuries to close losses doesn't take much logic to verify.

Reactions: 3 people
"to help elevate the injury and lack of physical development issues."

We definitely don't want those issues elevated.

Alleviated, yes. Elevated, no.

Even better would be eliminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
Before people comment on the $1.2MM, how much did it cost us in 2016 when we lost the A&M, USCe, and Vandy games due to injuries/lack of S&C.....

Seriously, do you have any positive thoughts at all? Also, to echo others, do you have any proof it was the strength and conditioning coach's fault that the issues you allude happened?

From the article:

"The early returns following Fitzgerald’s hire have been overwhelmingly positive, as the team did not suffer any significant injuries during spring practice. In year’s past, that type of news seemed like a weekly, if not daily occurrence on Rocky Top."

Doesn't address specific games mentioned, but the correlation to injuries to close losses doesn't take much logic to verify.

Maybe not a strong correlation to the question at hand. Were the injuries the result of bad S&C coaches, or a poor attempt at meddling by Head Coach poking his nose where it did not belong?

1.2 Mil is a drop in the bucket, we pay more to fire people around here.

Besides, ask Bama how much they spend on their SC coach and weight training....

The True measure of an athletic department's prowess!

BTW, how much did that MMA cage cost under CDD?

The True measure of an athletic department's prowess!

BTW, how much did that MMA cage cost under CDD?

Right on, poster. That is just not a lot of money, particularly when we have all been educated concerning how well the AD is doing in terms of revenue. I would like to see another zero behind that number.

Seriously, do you have any positive thoughts at all? Also, to echo others, do you have any proof it was the strength and conditioning coach's fault that the issues you allude happened?

I will freely admit that I am not a sunshine pumper and I say what's on my mind. I've had over 1500 posts and I've had positive comments, critical comments, comments removed by the Moderators (sorry Freak), joking comments, and lots of shots at rivals. When I am commenting on threads that refer to S&C and OL play, the posts tend to be critical since the results haven't been there. My initial post about the $1.2MM wasn't construed to be negative since I support the $1.2MM investment in our student athletes. I support this investment because I am of the opinion that if we had an average S&C program during the last 3 years of Butch's tenure, we would have 2 SEC game appearances and 2 NY 6 Bowl games. These achievements would have led to more donations, ticket sales, merchandise sales that would far exceed $1.2MM.

Since you asked for proof, we were the 2nd most injured team in 2016. Whether or not you can tie this to S&C is up to you but I do remember an outmanned Vandy team whipping us up front (due to severe DL attrition) with a Sugar Bowl bid on the line.

Starts Lost to Injury – Phil Steele

Reactions: 1 person
From the article:

Nice article. Pure speculation.

Weight room overhaul

VN Store

Back