How BIG is the Florida game this year?

How BIG is this game? Pick your Avatar.

• Total voters

Rifleman

Since our schedule this year features perhaps the most difficult stretch of games that any team in the country will face . . .

Date Opponent FPI Win Chance%

9/1 WVU 38.1%
9/8 ETSU 99.6%
9/15 UTEP 98.0%

9/22 UF 33.0%
9/29 @UGA 6.3%
10/13 @AU 10.1%
10/20 Crims 11.3%
10/27 @USC 22.9%

11/3 Charlotte 95.0%
11/10 UK 61.2%
11/17 MIZZ 41.0%
11/24 @VU 65.1%

are we in a position where the Florida game is going to make or break the season?

My reasons:

* mainly, this 35 day gauntlet which begins with Florida could significantly degrade any team's manpower with injuries
* this game is in Neyland with comparable talent if we are at full health and we should be since the softest part of our schedule leads to this game
* if we are 2-2 after this game, we'll possibly need to sweep November just to get our 15 bowl practices
* we have to start beating the Gators in Neyland every time they come here, as they will probably stop shooting themselves in the foot some day
* Coach Pruitt famously said he didn't come here to win 6 games, which I love, but we are going to catch hell from the media and opposing fanbases if we don't get 7+
* if we don't even win 6 games, then those jokes write themselves and the narrative is UT as laughingstock again
* I don't see 7 wins with a Florida loss as likely

Sure, we should not over-react to a 2-6 start, but it obviously should be avoided if possible. I believe the Florida game is really going to determine how this season is remembered and what people think about our potential to return to greatness.

We win that game and it’s ginna give us a lot of needed confidence going forward. I’m not convinced that we can’t upset one of the big names like auburn or SC this year. Bama and UGA are to much for us this year

Reactions: 1 person
it's no bigger than any other year. but not as big as when it was a big game.

it's important. mainly due to the psyche more than anything else. beating FL won't really matter to the season results.

but i think this fanbase would really really really like to see our coach beat their coach, 1st time out for both. hell Ron Zook got Fulmer in their first game. Muschamp. Meyer. Spurrier.

it'd be nice to get this version of the series started off on the right foot for once.

that's why it's important.

Reactions: 14 people
It's even bigger than usual because it's these players' first chance to end their SEC losing streak. If they don't get it done here, then the next SEC game becomes that game.

Reactions: 2 people
it's no bigger than any other year. but not as big as when it was a big game.

it's important. mainly due to the psyche more than anything else. beating FL won't really matter to the season results.

but i think this fanbase would really really really like to see our coach beat their coach, 1st time out for both. hell Ron Zook got Fulmer in their first game. Muschamp. Meyer. Spurrier.

it'd be nice to get this version of the series started off on the right foot for once.

that's why it's important.

100% agree with this.

Coach Pruitt is far more respected among his peers than Butch or Dooley, obviously.

If he starts off very poorly against the Mullen regime (I don't think he will), I fear the narrative will be that the problem is Tennessee itself, not prior poor coaching/administration that left us where we are. And honestly, aren't we all tired of the excuses valid or not?

Though untrue, that sort of view could take hold and be devastating for our future.

Reactions: 3 people
well, we all know what the streak was, and how bad that sucked.

butch ended it, and it didn't last long.

but for the first time in a VERY long time, i think a W in this year's game, really would feel like a fresh start. losing it, well, it just puts more fuel on the fire regarding the notion "it doesn't matter what is going on, we just lose to FL".

the slate is clean for us imo. so let's see what we can do with it.

I think a win over Florida would not just be an important SEC win ending the losing streak, but I think the fan base could stomach what looks to be a pulverizing stretch following it with a win over a hated foe.

To us, the Florida game is huge. It's huge to Florida, too.

To UGa, the Florida-Tennessee game is potentially important. Because of East standings, and all.

To the rest of the world, the Vols-Gators game is not significant at all this year.

That's just how it stacks up.

Here's hoping we soon get back to the good old days, when Tennessee-Florida was a key piece of the SEC and national championship puzzle. Same sentiment for the Third Saturday in October.

Reactions: 6 people
It's a monster game.

Big East SEC rival.

2 new HCs.

The winner is in the driver's seat.

It's as big as any other 1st SEC game of the year(I remember a year we played Ga before Fl.).

It's really really big.

Since our schedule this year features perhaps the most difficult stretch of games that any team in the country will face . . .

9/1 WVU 38.1%
9/8 ETSU 99.6%
9/15 UTEP 98.0%

9/22 UF 33.0%
9/29 @UGA 6.3%
10/13 @AU 10.1%
10/20 Crims 11.3%
10/27 @USC 22.9%

11/3 Charlotte 95.0%
11/10 UK 61.2%
11/17 MIZZ 41.0%
11/24 @VU 65.1%

are we in a position where the Florida game is going to make or break the season?

My reasons:

* mainly, this 35 day gauntlet which begins with Florida could significantly degrade any team's manpower with injuries
* this game is in Neyland with comparable talent if we are at full health and we should be since the softest part of our schedule leads to this game
* if we are 2-2 after this game, we'll possibly need to sweep November just to get our 15 bowl practices
* we have to start beating the Gators in Neyland every time they come here, as they will probably stop shooting themselves in the foot some day
* Coach Pruitt famously said he didn't come here to win 6 games, which I love, but we are going to catch hell from the media and opposing fanbases if we don't get 7+
* if we don't even win 6 games, then those jokes write themselves and the narrative is UT as laughingstock again

Sure, we should not over-react to a 2-6 start, but it obviously should be avoided if possible. I believe the Florida game is really going to determine how this season is remembered and what people think about our potential to return to greatness.

You are assuming a WVU loss? If we win the first game and get beat by UF then win November that is a 7 win season.

It's a monster game.

Big East SEC rival.

2 new HCs.

The winner is in the driver's seat.

It's as big as any other 1st SEC game of the year(I remember a year we played Ga before Fl.).

It's really really big.

The winner of the UF-UT game is in the driver’s seat of the car getting lapped by UGA’s car.

You are assuming a WVU loss? If we win the first game and get beat by UF then win November that is a 7 win season.

Any assumption about the Vols other than who the Coaches will be for the WVU game is in the dark.....just like WVU is in the dark preparing for our game.

Beating UF gets us to 7-5. Also, the season is so much more enjoyable when we win that game.

Last edited:
Any assumption about the Vols other than who the Coaches will be for the WVU game is in the dark.....just like WVU is in the dark preparing for our game.

I dont think the WVU game is going to be as tough as most do. I know they scored a lot of points last year but they did not do it against the bigger schools they played. 24 against TCU, 24 against Virginia Tech, 14 against Texas, 14 against Utah. those numbers just dont scare me that much

Big, big I tell you . . . . BIG!

In all seriousness, this is a big game for numerous reasons stated above but one item not mentioned is the development of CJP as a HC and his confidence. I think getting his first SEC win against UF will be huge, much more so than against a UK or Vandy or USCe.

GBO

the only reason this game has been big for your guys recently is because you've started to sink to our level. pre 2011-ish, this hasn't been a huge game for FL.

Can’t argue with that.

The best analogy is can make is our game is a bigger deal to you guys now, like our games with UGA were a bigger deal to us in the 70s and 80s.

I think for the first time in a long time the Florida game doesn't mean a whole lot.

I've already given my prediction in another thread that it's a distinct possibility that this team beats Florida and still only wins 6 games.

The long held maxim that if UT beats Florida then they will have an unbelievable season doesnt apply this year.

Playing Florida at home with a fellow year 1 coach at the helm is not anywhere close to UTs toughest game of the season.

For instance there's a better chance in my mind that we beat Florida that there is winning a single SEC road game. Yes that's right, I think UT has a better chance of beating Florida at home this year than it does beating Vandy on the road.

9/1 WVU 38.1%
9/8 ETSU 99.6%
9/15 UTEP 98.0%

9/22 UF 33.0%
9/29 @UGA 6.3%
10/13 @AU 10.1%
10/20 Crims 11.3%
10/27 @USC 22.9%

11/3 Charlotte 95.0%
11/10 UK 61.2%
11/17 MIZZ 41.0%
11/24 @VU 65.1%

My reasons:

Injuries can happen vs any opponent, even the cupcakes. Chuck Webb was lost for the season vs Pacific.

VN Store

Back