Leadership

History shows that leadership is best accomplished by example. Leadership by direction is not leadership but ego feeding.

Reactions: 5 people
History shows that leadership is best accomplished by example. Leadership by direction is not leadership but ego feeding.

Well, there are a whole lot of ways of leading, and each way can be very effective with some people, under certain circumstances.

Leadership is far too complex a field to be summarized in a sentence or two.

Having said that, I agree with you that leadership by example is very often one of the best approaches.

But neither your response nor mine (so far) have anything to do with the topic at hand. So...

break/break

I haven't heard about any particular lad stepping up in recent weeks, OP. We did see Bituli attempting to lead his defensive teammates during the Spring game, and Guarantano was exhibiting some leadership as well.

You figure one of the big charges CJP has given Fitz is to look for and nurture leaders in the locker room during this "down period." Emergence of new leaders during the window where the coaches can't direct them is a big part of developing team chemistry each year.

I suspect we'll start to hear some stories on this topic as we get close to fall camp. That's about when Fitz will be "handing off" to CJP and the rest of the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Don’t worry you’ll hear the same old offseason stories again soon.

“New leaders emerging”
“Biggest strength gains we’ve seen in years”
“Best team unity in a decade”

Reactions: 2 people
Don’t worry you’ll hear the same old offseason stories again soon.

“New leaders emerging”
“Biggest strength gains we’ve seen in years”
“Best team unity in a decade”

We can only hope we hear the first line. If we don't, could be a problem.

The 2nd and 3rd lines, they're just hyperbole. But that first one, it's key.

No one knows more about leadership than this guy.

5jnpjFz.jpg

No one knows more about leadership than this guy.

5jnpjFz.jpg

Funny thing is, for all his verbal gaffes, he probably does know more about leadership than most folks. Including most folks here in VN.

Now Dooley...there's a guy whose leadership skills I would not rate very highly at all.

Reactions: 7 people
Let me narrow down my original question. Are there players stepping up to mentor the newcomers? Someone setting schedules for workouts or just meetings? Organizing video game competitions? Who's taking teammates aside and correcting errors or offering advice?

Not looking for campaigns for captain. Rather, examples of players who are 'bought in' and demonstrating 'teamwork.'

Probably have to be around AD facilities and/or dorms to actually know.

Reactions: 1 person
Leadership can't be exerted.

Sure it can.

In fact, happens all the time.

Leadership is really simple, at its core: getting others do so things they wouldn't otherwise do.

And yes, it is possible to accomplish that, at times, under some circumstances, without any exertion. But it is far more common to have to put at least some work (exertion) into leading. Especially if you do it 24/7, as a job.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, for all his verbal gaffes, he probably does know more about leadership than most folks. Including most folks here in VN.

Now Dooley...there's a guy whose leadership skills I would not rate very highly at all.

You're right. Nothing says toxic leadership like infighting of the team and lying about it.

Reactions: 3 people
You're right. Nothing says toxic leadership like infighting of the team and lying about it.

As a Marine, I'm sure you know from experience that in-fighting is a normal part of a hyper-competitive atmosphere. You get a bunch of young folks revved up on a daily basis, and tempers are going to flare from time to time, even among teammates.

In short, it's a normal part of a football team.

Now, if it goes toxic, that's a significant leadership challenge. But we've seen nothing but rumors and a bunch of crap made up by folks on these boards about all that, these last few years. A lot of "stories" get legs just because someone on the internet decides to troll it up a little.

[I assume you're referring to the supposed Crowder incident, or the supposed Justin Martin incident, or the supposed 'tripped over a helmet' incident. If you meant something other than those, please explain]

As a Marine, I'm sure you know from experience that in-fighting is a normal part of a hyper-competitive atmosphere. You get a bunch of young folks revved up on a daily basis, and tempers are going to flare from time to time, even among teammates.

Now, if it goes toxic, that's a significant leadership challenge. But we've seen nothing but rumors and a bunch of crap made up by folks on these boards about all that, these last few years. A lot of "stories" get legs just because someone on the internet decides to troll it up a little.

[I assume you're referring to the supposed Crowder incident, or the supposed Justin Martin incident, or the supposed 'tripped over a helmet' incident. If you meant something other than those, please explain]

Wait a minute, are you suggesting that some things posted on here may not be completely accurate?

Yes, from time to time is normal. Also, it's more to a minimum when you don't have to worry about ****ty leadership.

Infighting was obviously to the point where there was no cohesion. Do you think it's normal for a football player to hit another to the point hes's not able to perform?

Shy Tuttle, orbital fracture from "helmet" and it's not as I heard it, it's as I read it from the news articles.

When you say "news articles"...I saw a couple of on-line blogs picked the helmet rumor up, but the editorial standards of on-line blogs (like fact-checking and verifying stories) is practically non-existent.

Did you ever see the stories appear in anything like ESPN, SI, or CBS Online? Those at least have editors who fact-check before publishing.

I'm not saying Shy really fell over a helmet. I'm just saying we know practically nothing about what really happened. And if we don't know the real story, we have no way of judging proximate cause and contributing factors. So where's the link to leadership, if we can't even do that?

Last edited:
I saw a couple of on-line blogs picked the rumor up, but the editorial standards of on-line blogs (like fact-checking and verifying stories) is practically non-existent.

Did you ever see the stories appear in anything like ESPN, SI, or CBS Online? Those at least have editors who fact-check to get independent verification of a story from more than a single source.

Butch said it at a press conference as well before complaining about the media. What more proof you need?

Butch said it at a press conference as well before complaining about the media. What more proof you need?

Okay, so tell me the story in detail, as you heard it. Who did what to whom? What leaders (coaches or players or other staff/faculty) were present? Was it brought to Butch as a disciplinary action, and if so, what did he decide?

I'm dying to hear someone who really knows this story, so we stop getting the internet rumors on it.

VN Store

Back