Give me the starting OL

mitzustu

With the addition of Kennedy how does that transform us on the OL?

Is he the starter at Center?

Are Kennedy, Smith, Hall, Richmond all safe bets as starters?

Who will be the fifth? Tatum? Etc

Reactions: 1 person
IF (Big IF) Smith and Hall are healthy, then throw Kennedy in the mix, our weakest group is not so weak any more!!
:rock::rock:

Reactions: 9 people
LT- Richmond
LG- ???
C- Kennedy
RG- Johnson
RT- Smith

This is assuming Smith plays tackle this year. If not, put him at LG and the RT job is up in the air.

Would we be better off having Trey Smith (if healthy) at LT even if that means Richmond has to come off the bench? I don't know why we would put our weakest OL (Richmond) at the most important position (LT) while putting our best lineman (Smith) at the least important OL position (Guard)?

Would we be better off having Trey Smith (if healthy) at LT even if that means Richmond has to come off the bench? I don't know why we would put our weakest OL (Richmond) at the most important position (LT) while putting our best lineman (Smith) at the least important OL position (Guard)?

Well Guard is important for the type of run style we are wanting. Smith can take the double team in the middle and create a wide open running lane for our Back.

As long as Richmond has the footwork he can buy time at the LT position for our QB to step up in the pocket and throw the ball.

Last year when they moved Smith to LT we lost our up the middle ability completely.

Reactions: 8 people
Well Guard is important for the type of run style we are wanting. Smith can take the double team in the middle and create a wide open running lane for our Back.

As long as Richmond has the footwork he can buy time at the LT position for our QB to step up in the pocket and throw the ball.

Last year when they moved Smith to LT we lost our up the middle ability completely.

this.

This will be the order more than likely...

LT- T. Smith
RG- Hall/ Johnson
C- Kennedy
LG- Johnson/ Hall
RT- Richmond

The reason is.. Smith is your most athletic and best overall linemen maybe in the country.. probably for sure in the country.
Your Guards need to be bigger and athletic but less athletic because of less space to work with. So you put an injured Hall on the inside so he doesn’t have to do as much (space wise) also the LG or RG depending on scheme will get help from the center more often depending on under or over front so you want a bigger guy there. So you probably put Hall there or Johnson there to protect one of them from a single block on a 3 technique. And RT is Richmond because he is the second most athletic guy on the team and you won’t have to face the most athletic pass rusher that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

I see your point; however, unless Richmond has significantly improved, our QBs will have only 2 seconds to throw again. It's easier to hide a subpar G than a subpar LT.

I love folks that know the game 👍👍🍊

Good points but I still think Smith may end up at tackle because, 1. that is where he will want to play with an eye towards the NFL and 2. I am not sure Richmond is good enough or Hall will be healthy enough to hold down the tackle positions. It may depend on who else is looking good and where Pruitt wants to emphasize in his first year.

Good points but I still think Smith may end up at tackle because, 1. that is where he will want to play with an eye towards the NFL and 2. I am not sure Richmond is good enough or Hall will be healthy enough to hold down the tackle positions. It may depend on who else is looking good and where Pruitt wants to emphasize in his first year.

I see all of those points, I just know that you don't kill a team by running your sweeps to the outside. You kill a team when you can gash them up the middle when they make a mistake and rush the outside.

If we are constantly gashing the middle the DE has to make an adjustment and that buys your Tackles a lot of time on the outside.

This will be the order more than likely...

LT- T. Smith
RG- Hall/ Johnson
C- Kennedy
LG- Johnson/ Hall
RT- Richmond

The reason is.. Smith is your most athletic and best overall linemen maybe in the country.. probably for sure in the country.
Your Guards need to be bigger and athletic but less athletic because of less space to work with. So you put an injured Hall on the inside so he doesn’t have to do as much (space wise) also the LG or RG depending on scheme will get help from the center more often depending on under or over front so you want a bigger guy there. So you probably put Hall there or Johnson there to protect one of them from a single block on a 3 technique. And RT is Richmond because he is the second most athletic guy on the team and you won’t have to face the most athletic pass rusher that way.
completely forgot about Carvin... never mind throw him into one of the guard spots.

i think the good news in all this is we now have options. it's actually a point worth talking about.

that, in and of itself, is a good thing.

Reactions: 7 people
I see all of those points, I just know that you don't kill a team by running your sweeps to the outside. You kill a team when you can gash them up the middle when they make a mistake and rush the outside.

If we are constantly gashing the middle the DE has to make an adjustment and that buys your Tackles a lot of time on the outside.
We are a zone team... IZ and OZ. I’m sure we will have a few sweeps but not many. You don’t really need them except for maybe a change up..

After he committed to UT, the experts projected him best at OG. Still don’t think that’s a coincidence. As far as NFL prospects? Zach Martin just signed a contract pushing that money to the elite area. Quenton Nelson was a possibility as a top 3 pick and most likely would’ve been in a less QB needy draft. OG isn’t anything to shy away from anymore.

Reactions: 2 people
LT-Richmond
LG-Smith
C-Kennedy
RG-Hall
RT-Tatum

Putting Smith and Hall at Guard might be the way of getting "the best 5 guys" on the field together. Guard mighy also be safer for Hall to play with his knee.

I don't disagree with you. And given what CP has said you may be right. Especially if he is going to feature the RB from Michigan State. But if someone like Carvin looks good at guard, I could see Smith making the move

Reactions: 2 people
LT-Richmond
LG-Smith
C-Kennedy
RG-Hall
RT-Tatum

Putting Smith and Hall at Guard might be the way of getting "the best 5 guys" on the field together. Guard mighy also be safer for Hall to play with his knee.

yeah, that's been brought up and it makes sense. but if he's really 100% and full go, it may be hard to keep him out of that RT spot.

the left side of the line will be goooooood. yeah, i said it.:)

VN Store

Back