Film Study: Who starts at quarterback for Tennessee?

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Film Study: Who starts at quarterback for Tennessee? The pros and cons of Keller Chryst and Jarrett Guarantano

Tennessee appears to have an incredibly difficult decision to make heading into fall camp. Which quarterback gives the Volunteers the best chance to win in the season opener against West Virginia on a neutral field in Charlotte?

Knowing which quarterback truly fits the system best would be a good starting point, but Tennessee has yet to play a game in Tyson Helton’s system and it’s unclear how much planning and play calling the former USC co-offensive coordinator actually had his hands in last season for the Trojans. Athlon Sports has gone out on a limb and projected Keller Chryst to be Tennessee’s starting quarterback and that makes sense given the fact that he’s using his final season of eligibility to play for the Vols. Graduate transfer quarterbacks don’t make their decisions with the intention of serving as a backup.

But just because Chryst came to Knoxville to play doesn’t mean Jarrett Guarantano is going to cede the position without a fight. Guarantano looks to have the better arm and he has an edge in experience in two facets; he had entire spring camp to work in Helton’s system and he has two full years of rapport and relationship building with many of the players. Having only played one season of college football, Guarantano was thrown into a tough spot last season but appeared to progress both on the field and in overall leadership within the program. Experiencing a tumultuous season like that has ruined some quarterbacks; Guarantano not only survived it, he appeared to progress in the end.

Which quarterback wins the job at Tennessee this fall? After studying nearly every play of their college careers (viewed every play from the games they started), here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of each signal caller.

A really great breakdown of both kids and after reading this I have no idea who takes the job. It's going to be one helluva fall camp

Reactions: 10 people
I liked this write-up. It was well-written, and well thought-out. Thanks for linking it, Duncan.

As for the conclusion based on this analysis, for me the nod goes to JG. Really enjoyed thinking about applying the positives from both lads, but the first two negatives for Chryst are kinda scary: throwing into coverage (INTs) and ball security (Fumbles) are kryptonite. Guarantano's negatives aren't as scary as those two.

But we shall see. Thanks again, Duncan, nice link.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 6 people
I think it will will be Chryst eventually.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOqbpmqYgU[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8wDcZWcv8[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7v2x8X7l08[/youtube]

Reactions: 3 people
That "Guarantano struggling" video is mostly a collection of bad protections with a drop thrown in. He didn't have much of a chance on most of those snaps.

Reactions: 12 people
1st string - JG

2nd string - Chryst

3rd string - Shrout

4th string - McBride

Reactions: 7 people
I liked this write-up. It was well-written, and well thought-out. Thanks for linking it, Duncan.

As for the conclusion based on this analysis, for me the nod goes to JG. Really enjoyed thinking about applying the positives from both lads, but the first two negatives for Chryst are kinda scary: throwing into coverage (INTs) and ball security (Fumbles) are kryptonite. Guarantano's negatives aren't as scary as those two.

But we shall see. Thanks again, Duncan, nice link.

Go Vols!
:thumbsup:

I do think the media is underrating our situation at QB. And JG is much better than people realize if we can ever give him a clean pocket. That's my biggest source of optimism about this season. Whether it's JG or Chryst, we'll be better than expected at QB.

My biggest source of pessimism is that I still think we're world's away from getting either of them a "clean pocket". And even if our O-line is better than expected at the beginning of the season, what happens if we have injuries (as we inevitably will). That 2nd team O-line at the spring game looked horrendous.

That said, at least Helton will be better at scheming around our strengths and weaknesses than Butch. Still, the thing that annoyed me the most about Butch was not the cliches, but rather, his complete inability to adapt to his players' skill-sets. He always had this mindset that "we have to run the system" even when it was clear to everyone watching the game that "the system" wasn't working.

The cons are why JG starts.

Chryst makes bad decisions and forces balls. Not super accurate. Not good without Heisman help.

JG's cons were basically freshman mistakes and bad body language early in the season.

Pruitt won't play a qb who forces a bunch of bad passes.

Overdone with what a graduate transfer’s “intentions” are. Bet JG doesn’t INTEND to be a backup either.

I really have no favorite to start but I think they are competitive enough to push each other and make each other better players. May the best man win.

Reactions: 1 person
One question one could ask in comparison of the two.. How do you think would Chryst have played last year if he was in Guarantano spot? I personally don't think he would have faired any better.. That being said.. I personally can't give my opinion of either of the two until we know how the oline performs as well as the running game.. JMHO

Reactions: 3 people
Qb is easily the most important position on the field. It’s always matters a great deal, run heavy offense or no.

I agree KB. Other than center nobody touches the rock more than the QB. One can be effective at the position if they simply do not beat themselves. No turnovers, not throwing into coverage or across the body or across the field. Understand what the defense is doing every play. It takes a lot of work to be solid at the position and I've not mentioned anything about throwing the ball. The ball must come out on time and rhythm. Accuracy is a must but especially over the middle. There's nothing wrong with throwing the ball away or running for a short gain if the play is just not there. Saban has done of lot of winning with solid guys at the QB position and not necessarily superstars.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd give a slight edge to JG right now. I don't really care who comes out on top, as long as they can execute this offense.

Qb is easily the most important position on the field. It’s always matters a great deal, run heavy offense or no.

Reason I say that is because I don’t think there’s a huge talent gap between the two. Also, I don’t believe they’re gonna be asked to be world beaters, just to take care of the ball.

JG has the Spring experience with Helton.
Chryst has more experience with similar system and more experience as a Pro Style QB.
Hard to say, but as long as we have at least two highly capable QBs, I feel good.
McBride will probably transfer to North Texas, SMU or UT San Antonio to become as star after next season.

JG looked good in the Spring, so Chryst better come out slinging long, fast and accurately to overtake JG.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back