New Redshirt Rule for CFB

So can a kid play in the playoffs or four big games late in the year, then still have four full years? If so Im not so sure about this rule.

So can a kid play in the playoffs or four big games late in the year, then still have four full years? If so Im not so sure about this rule.

"Quoted from the rules: The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games."

I don't know how to interpret that either. I am sure once it's on paper it may be more defined?

Im with you, but, maybe it opens the door for a redshirt to play in a garbage time situations when a team is up by a lot?

Unless he uses a redshirt to sit a year and train or in a transfer. He didn’t really “lose” anything. He had 5 to play 4, now he he has 4 to play 3.

Reactions: 1 person
Unfortunately McBride lost his redshirt last year when there wasn't a red shirt rule. This will help some younger players get some playing time, and still have 4 full years of eligibility.

He still has a redshirt to burn.

Reactions: 5 people
Unfortunately McBride lost his redshirt last year when there wasn't a red shirt rule. This will help some younger players get some playing time, and still have 4 full years of eligibility.

Well that's why I wondered if he could technically appeal to the NCAA to get his redshirt back since he only played in 2 games.

Yeah I understand what you are saying here. I just hate the kid has less time to develop he will be a good QB in time.

Unless he wins the starting job? :no: He loses nothing. He can redshirt THIS season and be a redshirt sophomore next season (if he stays). Get BETTER training and development in that season. If he was redshirted LAST season and sat this RS freshman season? What would he be next season? A redshirt sophomore.

Reactions: 4 people
Unless he wins the starting job? :no: He loses nothing. He can redshirt THIS season and be a redshirt sophomore next season (if he stays). Get BETTER training and development in that season. If he was redshirted LAST season and sat this RS freshman season? What would he be next season? A redshirt sophomore.

lol that's why I agreed with you punk!
That made sense after you typed it.

Guess I shouldn't of added on the bit of I wish he had more time. Considering you obviously pointed out he still has the same amount of time.

So you can now play a third of the season and get your year back. I like it.

I don't know. The quote from the article is a little vague. I am sure the actual stipulations on how you are utilized and why you were utilized in those 4 games will be hashed out.

The quote said for injury reasons or other reasons. (Nothing specifically specified)

Last edited:

I think it’s a good rule. Keeps kids engaged, can gain some experience, play in parts of or in all of 4 games and not burn a redshirt. I think it’s good for the kid and the team.

Who cares? He’ll never play here.

I care because he is a Volunteer, he is also a good Quarterback and has potential to play somewhere even if it is not with the Volunteers. (Guess you aren't for the kids? Just for your own gains in their sacrifices?)

Reactions: 3 people
This is the rule I thought they put into action last year!

Haha, I remember asking--during the 2017 season--if one of our players was going to be able to redshirt in spite of playing a few games (don't think it was McBride...someone else), and the responses being like I was a three-eyed cat.

I was just a year ahead of myself. :)

As to the point, yeah, doesn't matter WHY you played in a few games, or WHEN, as long as you didn't play in more than 4 of them. You can red shirt.

Which is cool, if you think about it. This allows a middle ground for all those hotshot, highly-recruited high school stars who just feel great need to get on the field immediately, even though their coaches know they're not yet ready. So you throw them in at non-critical times late in a game or three, let them get a feel for college SEC level of play, then encourage them to get back to the weight room and studying the playbook more. And they get to redshirt still.

Win-Win.

I care because he is a Volunteer, he is also a good Quarterback and has potential to play somewhere even if it is not with the Volunteers. (Guess you aren't for the kids? Just for your own gains in their sacrifices?)

Yes, he has the potential to play somewhere, just not here, so why worry about him applying for a “retroactive” redshirt? He’ll be no better than 3rd team this year. Concern yourself with his redshirt if you want, no worries, your call.

And yes, I’m more for the program than I am any individual kid/player. That’s why I’m a “Vol fan”. I cheer for the kids, wish the best for them, but in the end, the welfare of the program is paramount. If they didn’t put on the orange and white and power T, none of us would ever pull for them and half of us wouldn’t even know who they are.

Yes, he has the potential to play somewhere, just not here, so why worry about him applying for a “retroactive” redshirt? He’ll be no better than 3rd team this year. Concern yourself with his redshirt if you want, no worries, your call.

And yes, I’m more for the program than I am any individual kid/player. That’s why I’m a “Vol fan”. I cheer for the kids, wish the best for them, but in the end, the welfare of the program is paramount. If they didn’t put on the orange and white and power T, none of us would ever pull for them and half of us wouldn’t even know who they are.

Lol. Well KB I don't know how to respond to this.... Keep on keeping on. As for our QB lineup I think it goes Chryst / JG / Shrout / McBride

You have a particular hate reserved for this kid tho...seems unreasonable.

Reactions: 4 people
I just feel that any player who is awarded a red shirt should be required to go and buy an actual red shirt and wear it for a week so everybody knows he got it.

VN Store

Back