Two Keys to Beating WVA

dcm3w

Daddy
There's two ways for Pruitt's Vols to take down WVA.

Offensively:

1. Run game

Whoever starts at QB whether it be JG or Chryst will not have to be prolific but only a game manager. WVA's rush defense ranked 103 in the nation (sadly that'd 22 spots above ours). I think Tim Jordan will be starting but splitting a good amount with Chandler. I'm not sure if London will get a big role but I'm sure he'll get some carries. I think Jordan will be the X-factor and I predict he will have a big game. That will ultimately take the load off of whichever QB that starts.

Defensively:

1. Pass rush

Our pass rush last year was nonexistent and we ranked 90+ in the nation in sacks. We have to rattle Grier to win. We know their passing game is top notch and last year and the previous years, our pass defense was suspect at best. Even with the exceptional DB coach that Pruitt is, our DBs can only improve so much and our depth is thin with experience. There is a lot of hype with their offense and we need to make them go back to the drawing boards, second guessing themselves. Another interesting stat was that WVA ranked 115+ in turnovers lost. So, create pressure and they'll turn it over.

Didn't proofread so sorry for grammar and spelling.

Offensively:

1. Run game

Whoever starts at QB whether it be JG or Chryst will not have to be prolific but only a game manager. WVA's rush defense ranked 103 in the nation (sadly that'd 22 spots above ours). I think Tim Jordan will be starting but splitting a good amount with Chandler. I'm not sure if London will get a big role but I'm sure he'll get some carries. I think Jordan will be the X-factor and I predict he will have a big game. That will ultimately take the load off of whichever QB that starts.

Defensively:

1. Pass rush

Our pass rush last year was nonexistent and we ranked 90+ in the nation in sacks. We have to rattle Grier to win. We know their passing game is top notch and last year and the previous years, our pass defense was suspect at best. Even with the exceptional DB coach that Pruitt is, our DBs can only improve so much and our depth is thin with experience. There is a lot of hype with their offense and we need to make them go back to the drawing boards, second guessing themselves. Another interesting stat was that WVA ranked 115+ in turnovers lost. So, create pressure and they'll turn it over.

Seriously, gotta stop their passing attack.

I like it, DCM3W.

Especially like the focus on our run game. Some might try to fight fire with fire, compete directly with them in a high-scoring affair. I think you're right, though. Keep the ball on the ground, grind out first downs, keep their offense off the field, eat up all the clock, shorten the game.

Then, when they are on offense, effective pass rush to rattle them and force turnovers so we can get back at it.

Makes sense as a game plan. Don't allow them to play WVa football; force them to play Vols football.

Definitely need to control the ball if possible. If you can put together 14 play drives and score will limit their ability to score.
My belief is that we can score on them quickly and they on us should be a high scoring game.

Reactions: Volanta

Offensively:

1. Run game

Defensively:

1. Pass rush

Sorry man, stopped reading when you said Tim Jordan would be starting.

Are we seriously down to just Jordan and Chandler at RB? Jordan was unimpressive last year and I’m not sure Chandler is built to be a 20 + carries a game back. Hope Banks comes in ready to compete

Reactions: 2 people
Are we seriously down to just Jordan and Chandler at RB? Jordan was unimpressive last year and I’m not sure Chandler is built to be a 20 + carries a game back. Hope Banks comes in ready to compete

And the Grad Trans. from Mich. St.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch was a D-1 coach & he couldn't accomplish this simple feat.

Not to defend Butch. In fact, take Butch out of the conversation.

But it's not a simple feat. Primarily because there's another D1 coach on the opposite sideline trying to do the exact same thing.

Makes it far from simple. Makes it football.

Offensively:

1. Run game

Defensively:

1. Pass rush

I "Liked" for your enthusiasm. Less than (3) months out and we getting juiced!

Not to defend Butch. In fact, take Butch out of the conversation.

But it's not a simple feat. Primarily because there's another D1 coach on the opposite sideline trying to do the exact same thing.

Makes it far from simple. Makes it football.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back