Just for fun: COACHING SUPERLATIVES

Dougie_D

What's your list? (I only did coaches during Fulmer and aftewards)

1. MOST LIKELY TO BECOME THE A.D. AFTER A CRAZY SITUATION --- Phillip Fulmer

2. MOST LIKELY TO PLAY DEAD AND SOMEHOW SNEAK OUT --- Derek Dooley

3. MOST LIKELY TO GET A JOB AS AN NFL COACH AND WIN A SUPERBOWL SOON --- Lane Kiffin

4. MOST LIKELY TO SELL MOTIVATIONAL SPEECHES ON INSTAGRAM FOR NO PAY --- Butch Jones

5. MOST LIKELY TO WIN MORE THAN 8 GAMES NEXT SEASON - Coach Pruitt!

Reactions: 4 people

3. MOST LIKELY TO GET A JOB AS AN NFL COACH AND WIN A SUPERBOWL SOON --- Lane Kiffin

4. MOST LIKELY TO SELL MOTIVATIONAL SPEECHES ON INSTAGRAM FOR NO PAY --- Butch Jones

And most likely to find: Smart can’t beat Pruitt on this site.:):thud:

Most useless thread so far this off season.....

But take heart! There's still plenty of time for those of us with nothing better to do.

Reactions: 4 people
Most likely to have a statue built after winning back to back Music City Bowls: Derek Mason.

Most useless thread so far this off season.....

But take heart! There's still plenty of time for those of us with nothing better to do.

No, that honor goes to any thread started by Orange Defense. Basically, scroll down on the front page to Vol News, copy the link and start a thread with it.

This thread makes no sense to me.

You have a "most likely to" on Fulmer that has already happened. Not seeing humor, nor predictive intrigue in that one.

Totally didn't get the Dooley one. Play dead? Sneak out? I would think sneaking out would be more in the Kiffin lane (since he basically did that). Just makes no sense concerning Dooley. Neither as humor nor as a prediction.

Okay, the Kiffin one has the air of a prediction, and of the guys you list he is most likely to do that. So score one for you; it at least makes sense.

The Butch one, meh. Not humorous, and pretty bland as an attack on his persona.

Finally, the Pruitt one is nice, but probably not true. Kiffin is (of this group) probably most likely to win 8+ games this season. Not saying Pruitt can't, he absolutely could, but if you're gonna bet on just one to do it, that'd be Kiffin at the Florida community college he's coaching now. FIU? FAU? USF? One of those.

So bottom line, I guess I just don't get it, Doogie. It is neither funny nor intriguing. It's just a weird mish-mash of things that mostly don't make sense about our five most recent head coaches.

What were you going for?

Reactions: 1 person
So I've thought about it a bit more, Doogie, trying to understand why you'd create this thread.

The premise, "most likely to"s about our recent head coaches, is kinda promising.

I think your problem was in the execution. You could've taken at least three different angles: humor, intrigue, or motivational. Problem is, looks like you tried to do a little of each, and ended up missing on all.
  • #1 and #4 seem like stabs at humor. Not very good ones, but think that was the intent.
  • #3 and #5 seem like predictions meant to provide intrigue. But then, #5 also seems motivational, cheerleading.
  • Absolutely no idea what #2 was trying to be. It just doesn't make sense from any angle.
So if you'd picked one and run with it, I think you'd have gotten far better results. Example--humor:
  • Most likely to celebrate an SEC victory by eating a jelly doughnut?
  • Most likely to bed the daughter of his next boss?
  • Most likely to wear slacks imported from Italy?
  • Most likely to have plastic surgery to align his eyebrows to the same level?
  • Most likely to fetch Nick Saban a diet coke?
[not saying those are very funny, just that sticking to one angle helps the reader get into it]

Or maybe a truly intriguing list:
  • Most likely to win a conference championship in the next five years?
  • Most likely to be an NFL head coach?
  • Most likely never to be a head coach again, at any level?
Whatever angle you pursued, would probably be best if you didn't give the answers, as well. That leaves nothing for the reader to do but agree or disagree with you.

Or pick apart your post, the way I'm doing, heh. :)

Sorry about that, can you tell I've nothing better to do this morning?

This wasn't fun...

Reactions: 2 people
This thread makes no sense to me.

You have a "most likely to" on Fulmer that has already happened. Not seeing humor, nor predictive intrigue in that one.

Totally didn't get the Dooley one. Play dead? Sneak out? I would think sneaking out would be more in the Kiffin lane (since he basically did that). Just makes no sense concerning Dooley. Neither as humor nor as a prediction.

Okay, the Kiffin one has the air of a prediction, and of the guys you list he is most likely to do that. So score one for you; it at least makes sense.

The Butch one, meh. Not humorous, and pretty bland as an attack on his persona.

Finally, the Pruitt one is nice, but probably not true. Kiffin is (of this group) probably most likely to win 8+ games this season. Not saying Pruitt can't, he absolutely could, but if you're gonna bet on just one to do it, that'd be Kiffin at the Florida community college he's coaching now. FIU? FAU? USF? One of those.

So bottom line, I guess I just don't get it, Doogie. It is neither funny nor intriguing. It's just a weird mish-mash of things that mostly don't make sense about our five most recent head coaches.

What were you going for?

It's called the "off season"

Attachments

• Lightenup.gif
    Lightenup.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

VN Store

Back