General Neyland always in command

Always enjoy reading about Neyland and his Vols. Time to bring that type of success back!

Reactions: 2 people
Always enjoy reading about Neyland and his Vols. Time to bring that type of success back!

Every time I read about Neyland, I am in awe. My Dad went to UT in the early 30s and served in WWII. Witnessed Johnny Butlers famous run against Bama.

I'm sure to the younger generations, the Maxims seem cliche' and trite. Maybe to some, the 10 commandments seem that way too. Thing is, there is some real meaning there that gets results.

I posted something in a dying thread that I'll bring up again. Thread had to do with Pruitt's style of coaching and Neyland's name came up.

There is a book, out of print, but available sometimes on amazon and on ebay. It's all about how the game evolved from a rules standpoint. The game played in the 40s and 50s was a lot different. The substitution rules were MUCH different. Neyland was on the rules committee and hated "platoon" football. The book quotes him as calling it "chickensh*t football", and thats where we are today.

The book is called "The Anatomy of a game" by David M. Nelson. In this book, you can see how Neyland was respected in the ranks of the college football world.

Post is getting a little long here. Here are 4 reviews of the book on Amazon:

This is the best book you will find if you are really interested in the nitty-gritty of the history of college football rules. Too bad it's out of print and any copy you get will be VERY expensive. I've seen it listed for $400.

Those of us who have officiated the game (ref. for 25 years) it is a wonderful statement about the game and how the rules were changed through the years and why.

I'm also a long time football official. This work is the quintessential bible on the history of amateur football in the US, from its days as a 'rugby-knockoff' to its genesis and identity as a second America's Pasttime. The evolution of the rules of the game, their rationale, and the many internal squabbles regarding whether the rules should be revised to allow a passing game (vs. a run-only game) is marvelous theater. One particular anecdote is almost laugh-out-loud funny: Having been beaten by Bear Bryant's Alabama team twice on 'tackle-eligible' passes, Mississippi coach John Vaught placed a chair under the door knob of the Rules Committee Meeting Room and refused to let anyone leave, stating, "We are not leaving this meeting until we do something about that damn tackle-eligible pass!" In the interest of hunger--and biological necessity--the Committee appeased Vaught by instituting the current numbering rules. Probably the only time that a potty break can be attributed as the rationale for a new rule.

One of the most famous football coaches and football historians in the game's history has created a "one of a kind" manual documenting all of the rules changes to the game though out it's history. Coach Nelson was on many of the later rules committees and his fist hand access makes this book a "must have" for any serious historian of the game.

One more thing before I end here. A youtube of a Neyland documentary. Video is awful because it was a bad recording, but content is great.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4b1702-i2c&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Attachments

• anatomy of a game.jpg
    anatomy of a game.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
One of my favorite Vols of all-time, Austin "Shifty" Shofner, credited his time playing for Neyland, and the maxims he stressed, as being a guiding force in his service during WWII. Shofner was taken prisoner by the Japanese, escaped, and went on to a distinguished career in the Marines. A resident of Shelbyville, TN, his story is told in the Stephen Ambrose book, "The Pacific". A must read for Vol fans.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm sure to the younger generations, the Maxims seem cliche' and trite. Maybe to some, the 10 commandments seem that way too. Thing is, there is some real meaning there that gets results.

Especially the one that says don't screw your neighbor's wife. Good advice.

VN Store

Back