Kongbo to LB?

LandonVFL

[twitter]1002643043588112386[/twitter]

What are yalls thoughts? Is he gonna be a stand-up passer rusher LB? I thought Darrell Taylor was perfect for that position. Inside linebacker? Not sure if he has the instincts or speed for that. Let the debate begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
The coaches know more than me, but I just don't think he has the bend or speed to rush the passer from what I have seen in previous games.

Reactions: 4 people
If he's gonna play LB, I don't see how he could play the position as anything other than an outside pure pass rushing LB.

I find the move interesting as well. Personally, if he’s playing the same position as D. Taylor, I see no way Kongbo takes the starting job. Taylor is a prototype jack LB in the 3-4. I thought Kongbo would be a solid 3-4 end if he was around 6’4 270, but who knows what he’s at right now? Could’ve skimmed down. Could it mean that the young guys that just got to campus (Mincey, Gooden, Kurott Garland, Lawless, Kingston Harris) fit the bill at DL for what Pruitt is trying to do? I’m interested to see how this shakes out. More competition at DL and LB can’t hurt

I find the move interesting as well. Personally, if he’s playing the same position as D. Taylor, I see no way Kongbo takes the starting job. Taylor is a prototype jack LB in the 3-4. I thought Kongbo would be a solid 3-4 end if he was around 6’4 270, but who knows what he’s at right now? Could’ve skimmed down. Could it mean that the young guys that just got to campus (Mincey, Gooden, Kurott Garland, Lawless, Kingston Harris) fit the bill at DL for what Pruitt is trying to do? I’m interested to see how this shakes out. More competition at DL and LB can’t hurt

i would expect him to be lined up opposite of taylor in the base defense when we have 2 olbs on the field. not necessarily competing with taylor to start

Reactions: 5 people
I just don’t see him having the speed for that role. He’s not a guy I want going sideline to sideline unless he’s dropped weight and gotten quicker. Jmo

I believe he has, and judging by a few pics I've seen lately he did. Little if I remember correctly was right around 255 pounds and 6'3.. Kongbo is 6'6 260.

Last edited:
I just really wanna see kongbo have a big year. I think he’s a good guy and a hard worker. Hopefully it all clicks at whatever position he finds himself at.

Reactions: 8 people
I was literally thinking about this last week. Kongo is a pure pass rusher so to be able to do that in the 3-4 he would have to stand up. Tho he has the size to play an interior position I just don’t think it suits him well. He wasn’t much as a DT two years ago and hated it. The 3-4 DE is just a gap over so I can see why he’s moving to backer. The issue will be when he has to drop in coverage .. that will be the true test

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Pruitt's style of a 3-4 has beasts at DT. Alabama only had three DL guys on the roster last year (out of 11) that were under 280 lbs. Kongbo either moves to 'backer or doesn't see the field much, IMO.

This is genius. Perfect body type and perfect role for him. I was hoping he would make the move and in this system he can really get small picture vision and focus on his pass rush skills.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back