Jamal Lewis article

Very very good article. I feel bad for the guy.

I should buy him a taco some time (I kid)

more and more will continue to come up and create discussion.....hope he can continue to find ways to deal with these issues in positive meaningful ways

I watched CTE completely devour a family member who was a former 10-year starting NFL center in his late 40s and finish the destruction in his early 50s when I attended his funeral.

They examined his brain after he died and made the diagnosis. I love football as much as anybody, and I have no idea how to find the answer.

Reactions: 6 people
I watched the movie Concussion with Will Smith recently. No way does my son ever play football.

Reactions: 3 people
I watched CTE completely devour a family member who was a former 10-year starting NFL center in his late 40s and finish the destruction in his early 50s when I attended his funeral.

They examined his brain after he died and made the diagnosis. I love football as much as anybody, and I have no idea how to find the answer.

I coach high school ball about 35 min. East of where Jamal played. I can assure you efforts are being made to take the head out of the game and change the culture.

There's no more "get your ass back in there" mentality; there are concussion protocols, rules about the amount of contact throughout the week, a certified trainer at all games and practices, we use helmets that are darn near space age, and we teach tackling very differently and with equipment that limits body on body "thud." We even lift differently to build up their muscles to absorb shock in their shoulders - which prevents ricochet to their head... We still emphasize physicality, effort, toughness, and technique, we just teach it differently.

I guess my point is that, why we don't know if this will make any difference, we're trying like hell. The sport as a whole is changing from the grassroots. We're trying to change it in a positive - and much safer - manner that addresses obvious concerns about brain injury...

My condolences to and your family, RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 people
Sad story as many other NFL players. I’m worried about my friend Shane Burton. Hope they can all get good help and live healthy lives.

I love football and will always be a fan, but I doubt I'll let my sons play. Hopefully they take an interest in baseball or basketball.

I wonder if guys like Jamal would do it all over again if they knew then what they know now.

I watched the movie Concussion with Will Smith recently. No way does my son ever play football.

Same here. My oldest played in middle school, but decided to give it up before starting high school. I wasn't disappointed. I don't know how anyone plays after watching that movie.

Last edited:
I coach high school ball about 35 min. East of where Jamal played. I can assure you efforts are being made to take the head out of the game and change the culture.

There's no more "get your ass back in there" mentality; there are concussion protocols, rules about the amount of contact throughout the week, a certified trainer at all games and practices, we use helmets that are darn near space age, and we teach tackling very differently and with equipment that limits body on body "thud." We even lift differently to build up their muscles to absorb shock in their shoulders - which prevents ricochet to their head... We still emphasize physicality, effort, toughness, and technique, we just teach it differently.

I guess my point is that, why we don't know if this will make any difference, we're trying like hell. The sport as a whole is changing from the grassroots. We're trying to change it in a positive - and much safer - manner that addresses obvious concerns about brain injury...

My condolences to and your family, RIP.

Thank you, sir. The best we can all do is try.

These guys knew what they were getting into. They just didn't care when they played. I can't feel sorry for millionaires.

Reactions: 1 person
These guys knew what they were getting into. They just didn't care when they played. I can't feel sorry for millionaires.

I’d say probably about 90% of the health problems adults have are due to poor lifestyle choices. At least these guys did it for the glory of being a professional athlete and a ton of money. The average dope in this country runs their body into the ground for Marlboro lights, Big Macs, and a super sized Dr. Pepper.

Reactions: 4 people

I don't completely disagree. No one in their right mind could possibly believe playing a sport like football is a healthy choice. However, just because someone is a millionaire doesn't mean I don't have the capacity to feel sorry for them.

Reactions: 7 people
I believe it's one or two galvanizing events away from changing radically. Also, no one forces young individuals to play football, but for some, not all, but a few football is one of a very short, limited list of choices for a way up and out of a tough environment.

I hate to be that guy, but either we live in the United States of America and have the freedom to make choices or we don't. Or we want to change America so that you don't have the freedom to make choices.

And as Americans we have a responsibility to accept the consequences of the choices that we make in order to preserve that freedom (if we want it).

Hate to get political, but it is what it is.

People make poor decisions everyday that effect their health, well being, etc. We consume alcohol. We gamble. We smoke. Some want drugs to be legalized. Add that to the list. We have boxing. We have MMA. We have auto racing. We ride motorcycles, sometimes without a helmet. I can go on and on.

And like smoking, people today know what they are getting themselves into. When people ask about football dying, I tell them to watch the NFL draft. Every damn one of them is happy as hell to be selected and there are many, many more pissed off that they weren't selected.

And it goes beyond that. There are guys who play in the CFL for a fraction of the salary. There are arena leagues. There are other obscure leagues (like wherever the hell it was that Jared Lorenzen was playing football for a period of time).

I don't want anyone to get hurt playing football. But, that isn't the world we live in.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back