Pruitt: A four quarterback derby.

Very interesting that all four quarterbacks will be involved equally. He really is looking for the best player to win now.

Reactions: 3 people
It doesn't matter to me who wins and starts as long as they get the job done,that's also for every other position on the field. Hopefully this is a true competition(and I believe it is)may the best man win.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't think he means the competition will still be going on until the end of the first game, I think he means they will choose a starter by the time the scrimmages are and give them the most first team reps but if they are having trouble during the game he will try someone else to see if they perform better in an in game situation and if so they will be starter.

Why the douchebag comment? Guy just linked an article in a thread that you chose to enter. Am I missing some back story here?

Agreed. Dude was just posting a link to an article. Especially when a lot of stuff you read on VN, by some poster's claiming for a fact that JG is already the starter. This article disproves those so called factual claims, even with JP and Helton saying this since day 1. If I had to guess, I would say it will come down to Chryst and JG. I think Shrout could have the highest ceiling of the 4, but could use a yr to RS. He's still learning how to play QB and would benefit greatly from a RS year. But as we've seen recently with injuries, the 3rd and 4th guy on the depth chart needs to be ready. We were 1 snap from having to play a 4th string Walk On QB last yr or seeing more wildcat than we ever would wanna see. Hopefully we won't have to worry about that again anytime soon. I don't care who ends up as our starter, but hope one guy separates himself and starts all year.

Reactions: 6 people
I don't think he means the competition will still be going on until the end of the first game, I think he means they will choose a starter by the time the scrimmages are and give them the most first team reps but if they are having trouble during the game he will try someone else to see if they perform better in an in game situation and if so they will be starter.

Unless one QB just without a doubt separate's himself, It wouldn't surprise me to see 2 QB's play in game one. We've seen it too many times where a guy is a much better practice player than a gameday player. Unless one guy has the offense clicking in game 1, I could definitely see 2 getting the chance to show what they can do in a game. JMO and I could be completely wrong. I think if this staff had coached the Ga Tech game last season, we would have seen JG and Dormady both in the 1st half. I really hope I QB takes the job and makes it impossible for the Coach's to get him off the field. Atleast right now, that QB hasn't come even close to doing that. Still got 3 months and more competition arriving in the next week. The real competition for the QB job is starting in June. Can't wait to follow it and see how it plays out.

I think JG and Chryst and are the only real candidates to start. McBride is not starting. Shrout is years away from being ready to play in an SEC game.

Reactions: 2 people
Jason, I think your definition of attack is different from mine. From my perspective, only one person was called a name in this thread, and the recipient of that "attack" was not offended and couldn't care less.

I will say I wasn't necessarily just talking about this thread. It's a common theme on here. Posters attack other posters for links they post, some outside the box perspectives or being in the minority on their opinion. I've seen many who believe their opinions are the only correct one's and who know more than even our Coach's. If that is indeed the case, then Fulmer may need to look at them for future coaching search's. This isn't directed at you at all, just an observation from being on VN 8+ years. My only point is I live on Ala so I come on here to get anything and everything Vol related. There's no better site to get all that info and appreciate having a way to get all the Vol info you can on here. But it can get old having to cypher through tons of pages of &itching and fighting to get all that info. Maybe Freak can add a Forum to where poster's can go fight, vent or whatever and it might reduce some of the unnecessary clutter. I go over to the recruiting forum to see where we stand with certain recruits and may have to get through 20 pages of fighting or stuff that has nothing to do with a recruit.

Reactions: 7 people
I just hope they don’t spend an extraordinary amount of time to choose a leader and get him the most reps. There is no doubt that our QB play will define the year. Just as it did last year. I think we can compete with the rest of the pieces that are in place.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt stays true to word, opens 4-quarterback derby
This spot is wide open for a starter still. Seems like nothing is settled. This is going to be either controversial, or fun. Questions still remain.:good!:

Pruitt has 4 QBs on the roster, so what does anyone expect him to say?

It’s a two man race, period. It’ll be either JG or Chryst. Shrout needs a redshirt year and McBride.....McBride needs to go play flag intramurals for the Pike House or something.

Very interesting that all four quarterbacks will be involved equally. He really is looking for the best player to win now.

I love how they are doing this. Making it truly a real QB Competition. Each guy getting equal reps and each getting an equal chance. No favoritism because of who they are dating and no hidden agenda. Let the QB's earn it and decide it with what they show every day. Whoever wins the job will have earned it and not just had it given to him.

Reactions: 2 people
I just hope they don’t spend an extraordinary amount of time to choose a leader and get him the most reps. There is no doubt that our QB play will define the year. Just as it did last year. I think we can compete with the rest of the pieces that are in place.

I don’t think our QB play defined the year last year. It wasn’t great, but at times it was enough and at other times it was pretty good. I think our OL and DL defined the season more than any other position groups last year....both were awful, especially our DL, which was dead last in the SEC and 126th nationally (out of 130 teams) in run defense.

I think they should decide the top two and the starter during the fall and if the starter is struggling during the WVU game just switch and try the other guy. It'll be a game where I think that at least one of our qbs will be able to score points in because of WVU defense so it should be a good test.

I don’t think our QB play defined the year last year. It wasn’t great, but at times it was enough and at other times it was pretty good. I think our OL and DL defined the season more than any other position groups last year....both were awful, especially our DL, which was dead last in the SEC and 126th nationally (out of 130 teams) in run defense.
I think those numbers are somewhat skewed as well because of Georgia techs option offense being mostly run and the fact that our offense could not sustain drives leading to our defense being out of it early. I think our defense is actually better than the numbers show and can prove it if the offense gets them off the field long enough. Just an opinion though.

Pruitt has 4 QBs on the roster, so what does anyone expect him to say?

It’s a two man race, period. It’ll be either JG or Chryst. Shrout needs a redshirt year and McBride.....McBride needs to go play flag intramurals for the Pike House or something.

If that was truly the case, Pruitt and Helton wouldn't be wasting reps by giving each one the exact same amount.IF it was truly a 2 man race you wouldn't take away much needed additional reps from Chryst and JG. I do believe it comes down to Chryst and JG. This is purely hypothetical and just for adding a different perspective. And no I'm not saying this happens or that I see much chance of it. But say Shrout shows up and impresses. Say he clearly outplays Chryst, JG and McBride and leaves no doubt he is the best QB of the 4. If the QB's weren't each given the same chance, then they would never truly know who is the best option. In saying that, I do believe Shrout Redshirt's. I also believe Chryst and JG turn it into a 2 man competition by separating themselves and those equal reps start shifting into those 2 getting more than Shrout and McBride. But I love seeing each guy getting an equal chance, it's the best way to create competition and separation. I'm honestly shocked McBride hasn't transferred to an offense that better fits him. Really expected to see that after the Spring. That tells me he's truly getting an equal opportunity and it not just coach speak.

I think those numbers are somewhat skewed as well because of Georgia techs option offense being mostly run and the fact that our offense could not sustain drives leading to our defense being out of it early. I think our defense is actually better than the numbers show and can prove it if the offense gets them off the field long enough. Just an opinion though.

The GATech team that averaged 307 rushing yards per game last year but hung 655 on us? That GATech team? Doesn’t that validate just how horrific our run defense was?

Btw, Missouri, a passing team that averaged 193 yards rushing per game went for 430+ on us last year. 4-7 Vanderbilt ran for 246 yards while we ran for 55 on them.....246 doesn’t sound crazy until you realize they were dead last in rushing offense in 2017, averaging 107 yards per game.

Pruitt: "We'll have 4 guys, we practice 4 groups, so those guys will all get the same amount of reps"

Don't believe taking reps away from the eventual starter is an issue guys.

VN Store

Back