Butch Jones ripped by anonymous opposing coach in Lindy's magazine

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, let's guess who the referenced coach might be. My money would have been on Muschamp if they had not mentioned USCe's players. I'd have to assume it was someone they played against last year who doesn't have a new coach this season. I'm guessing Orgeron.

I would guess that it's someone who has both lost to Jones and also beaten him. Might have even lost a few recruiting battles to him also. Those remarks seem pretty personal. Although, definitely not a head coach - probably a position coach at either Vanderbilt, Kentucky or Georgia. I don't take issue with most of the comments (aside from "fake news", the most overused phrase currently spoken in the English language) but it's gutless to call out a peer in your profession with such harsh language and not put your name on it.

Reactions: 11 people
We have no idea if any SEC coach said any of this. I mean NO idea! These writers can pull anything outta their ar$e if they so choose, then claim journalistic source protection if pressed. They have a definite financial interest in a salty quote to sell mags. The coach has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by trusting this writer to allegedly not out his identity

There is no solid reason to believe a word of this whatsoever. That being said, I agree with what he claims was said.

Reactions: 4 people
Butch signing Dobbs is the only thing that kept him at UT more than 2-3 seasons. He had the most poorly designed offense I've seen in my lifetime...Dobbs, Kamara, Malone and even DeBord masked a lot of inepetitude in that scheme.

Reactions: 15 people
I would guess that it's someone who has both lost to Jones and also beaten him. Might have even lost a few recruiting battles to him also. Those remarks seem pretty personal. Although, definitely not a head coach - probably a position coach at either Vanderbilt, Kentucky or Georgia. I don't take issue with most of the comments (aside from "fake news", the most overused phrase currently spoken in the English language) but it's gutless to call out a peer in your profession with such harsh language and not put your name on it.

When headlines are made by comments from sources too chicken **** to put their name behind them, that is as fake news as it comes. Even though it is becoming a catch phrase of sorts? Thanks to writers who post these articles, it may not be used enough. JMO.

Reactions: 4 people
Having read this, I wouldn't be surprised if the coach and his statement might be fake. Reads like someone had a deadline approaching.

Before I'd read it, my first thought was Richt.

"... that should never happen."

Sounds like Lane Kiffin.

The thread title is falsely inflammatory. It should read "accurately described by."

Lindy's seems to under rate Pruitt's staff. Are they the folks who picked UT 13th in basketball?

Reactions: 5 people
It seems a little personal IMO. Maybe it's a coach that had wanted a TN job but Butch hired someone else.

You'll never hear a rival coach say "he did a bad job"... it would be more like "I just didn't think it worked out (laughing inside)" This is a coach that somehow has TN ties.

Also the coach talks about roster, development, and talks about TN should have better players than SC.

I'd bet money it's Jim Chaney.

Reactions: 2 people
We have no idea if any SEC coach said any of this. I mean NO idea! These writers can pull anything outta their ar$e if they so choose, then claim journalistic source protection if pressed. They have a definite financial interest in a salty quote to sell mags. The coach has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by trusting this writer to allegedly not out his identity

There is no solid reason to believe a word of this whatsoever. That being said, I agree with what he claims was said.

I think they would have said "Anonymous SEC coach" if it had been one. Or "Anonymous head coach".

Sounds like an assistant at Georgia Tech or somewhere. Still accurate though.

I think they would have said "Anonymous SEC coach" if it had been one. Or "Anonymous head coach".

Sounds like an assistant at Georgia Tech or somewhere. Still accurate though.

I don't believe that someone outside the SEC would care enough about the state of the Tennessee football program to comment on a former coach in such harsh terms. It's either a coach in the SEC or it's the writer's opinion and he just made up the quotes. I do believe that happens. When zero background is given on who may have said it, that does make it look like the writer wants to make the quotes impossible to verify by a 3rd party. This could easily be BS.

I don't believe that someone outside the SEC would care enough about the state of the Tennessee football program to comment on a former coach in such harsh terms. It's either a coach in the SEC or it's the writer's opinion and he just made up the quotes. I do believe that happens. When zero background is given on who may have said it, that does make it look like the writer wants to make the quotes impossible to verify by a 3rd party. This could easily be BS.

Could be made up, you could definitely be correct.
But I can think of a few reasons why someone else would do it. Wanted an assistant position here but Butch didn't interview them.
Jones said something prickish before or after the game.

Basically someone just talkin about the different fired coaches and they really disliked Jones for any number of reasons. I would laugh if it was someone on the current Alabama staff though.

Whoever it was they are right the roster was not very good under Jones

That depends on which year you are talking about. The Tennessee roster was fine in 2015. Jones had dramatically upgraded the talent from Dooley's last season. If Jones had been able to hold 2 score 4th quarter leads that year, Tennessee would have finished 10-2 and been in the SEC Championship Game.

Chance it was a head coach: < 5%
Chance it was an OC or DC: < 10%
Chance it was a position coach: ~ 30%
Chance the writer made this crap up: > 55%

Reactions: 5 people
Anonymous said:
"And I don't think they have very good players," the anonymous coach said, according to Lindy's. "Tennessee is supposed to have talent. I think South Carolina has better talent than Tennessee, and that should never happen."

"To say Tennessee has had top 15 classes under Butch Jones, that's fake news," the anonymous opposing coach told Lindy's. "I think it was a combination of the classes being overrated and the coaches not developing the talent."

This is the current reality most want to overlook. Pruitt needs more talent here and fast.

I say it was Saban. blunt, honest, and now has him under his thumb to mold him or ridicule him whichever he chooses.

The more I think about it, this is probably accurate. The reason a lot of people will agree with it is why nothing will be done to fact check that a coach actually said it... but that doesn't make it right.

This is the current reality most want to overlook. Pruitt needs more talent here and fast.

Not as many overlooking it as you think. Myself? I know its bad, really bad, but not end of the world bad like some seem to think. And, I have a better opinion of our coach and staff than you.

I don't think we're going to win 9 games. I don't think we're gonna lose 9 games either.

Reactions: 3 people
That depends on which year you are talking about. The Tennessee roster was fine in 2015. Jones had dramatically upgraded the talent from Dooley's last season. If Jones had been able to hold 2 score 4th quarter leads that year, Tennessee would have finished 10-2 and been in the SEC Championship Game.

Not many total NFL players on the roster.. The true measure of the your roster is how many pro players you have.

VN Store

Back