Tony Barnhart picks Vols to beat Florida

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
What say you?

TENNESSEE (4-4)

Who they will beat: Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, at Vanderbilt

Who they will lose to : at Georgia, at Auburn, Alabama, at South Carolina.

Analysis: It will be a tough first-year for new Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt. I think the Vols will beat Florida in Knoxville but then comes a four-game stretch that includes road trips to Georgia, Auburn, and South Carolina plus a home game with Alabama. The good news is that the November schedule of Charlotte, Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt gives the Volunteers a chance to make a bowl.

Projecting the SEC East: Georgia wins, Gamecocks 2nd | TMG College Sports

Reactions: 8 people
So Tony is thinking 7-5 or 8-4 for the Vols this year (he doesn't say anything about OOC games, so we don't know what he thinks about the WVa opener).

That's actually fairly optimistic, given the range of real possibilities. I'll accept it.

Tony, you done gone went and did good.

Reactions: 7 people
There is a part of me that wants to believe we will, but when it comes to Florida, that part of me has been wrong too many times.

It sure would do wonders for how I feel about the season.

Reactions: 6 people
I sincerely think that this will be Pruitt's "big win" of the season.

Reactions: 3 people
Beat who we should always beat, go 1-1 in the SEC tossups, get to a bowl game. I'll take it for year one.

Reactions: 1 person
There is a part of me that wants to believe we will, but when it comes to Florida, that part of me has been wrong too many times.

It sure would do wonders for how I feel about the season.

I sincerely think that this will be Pruitt's "big win" of the season.

Can you imagine the hype if Pruitt beats Florida in year one?

I've been burned by that game too many times to pick Tennessee, but it would be a solid year-one win for Pruitt and company.

Reactions: 15 people

I've been burned by that game too many times to pick Tennessee, but it would be a solid year-one win for Pruitt and company.

If we can beat WV and come out of the Florida game undefeated (and likely ranked), the hype train will be blazing.

Hard for me to pick us over the lizards, battered vol syndrome and all. But I'll be in Neyland regardless.

Reactions: 4 people
I think he can win this year. Florida was only a play better than us last year and really we should have one that game by at least two touchdowns because of the coaching mistakes and general game management. Even if we did have to settle for a field goal on our last drive we still could have chewed the clock up instead of what we did. If Pruitt can manage games and the team trys we should be fine this year.

Reactions: 2 people

Yes, I can and do imagine it. Unlike some around here, I enjoy being excited, I don't gas, hell, thats what fans do. If we manage a W against WV and Fl? Pfftt.

I've just been feeling it's the perfect storm for us to take them down this year.

I can't pick TN over them. Even when we had the "better" team, we always find a way to beat ourselves. Now with Mullen there, their stagnant offense shouldnt be an issue anymore. We (Butch) blew so many chances when they had a terrible offense.

We should beat them. But there are many times we should have beat Florida and didn't. Pruitt needs to win these tossups. I think he will.

I can't pick TN over them. Even when we had the "better" team, we always find a way to beat ourselves. Now with Mullen there, their stagnant offense shouldnt be an issue anymore. We (Butch) blew so many chances when they had a terrible offense.

I'm with you. We definitely missed some golden opportunities under Butch's regime.

The last time UF completely outclassed us in talent was 2009 - Tebow's senior year. Amazing the ineptitude of Dooley and Jones that we have only beaten them once since then.

Predictions this time a year are worthless... Nobody know anything about the teams, injuries etc...

Yes, but all other things being equal except climate - heat and humidity, FL will always have the edge on conditioning when playing early season games - especially if the game is played at FL.

You are unknowingly stoking the fires of optimism in yourself and will be tempted to pick UT in that game, and will walk away disgusted with a result you should've seen coming

Most likely, Mullen gonna take Pruitt to the shed for the next 4 years. I say 4, because Pruitt won't make it here 5. That's what the evidence suggests to me anyway

VN Store

Back