George Whitfield: Jarrett Guarantano is "thrilled" to be in Tennessee's new offense

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Quarterback trainer George Whitfield: Jarrett Guarantano is "thrilled" to be in Tennessee's new offense

“Guarantano, he was the most excited about the call when Coach Pruitt came in,” Whitfield said. “He studied him. He’s very meticulous, and he said, ‘If history is any indication, this is going to be a great system for me.’ He’ll tell you he was thrilled. Kids honestly want that opportunity. They want to showcase the fact that they can come in and fly a true NFL-modeled aircraft. That’s what they want.
“It’s fun to play at Oregon and it’s fun to play at the other places and they’re going to put up an awful lot of points, but quarterbacks who wake up and see themselves as a quarterback, they want that credibility. They want the verification and validation of handling all these nuances of offensive system. Pruitt’s bringing that and Guarantano’s excited about that.”

I'm still not sold that Chryst comes in and takes the job from him. It's going to be an interesting fall camp.

Reactions: 26 people
Quarterback trainer George Whitfield: Jarrett Guarantano is "thrilled" to be in Tennessee's new offense

“Guarantano, he was the most excited about the call when Coach Pruitt came in,” Whitfield said. “He studied him. He’s very meticulous, and he said, ‘If history is any indication, this is going to be a great system for me.’ He’ll tell you he was thrilled. Kids honestly want that opportunity. They want to showcase the fact that they can come in and fly a true NFL-modeled aircraft. That’s what they want.
“It’s fun to play at Oregon and it’s fun to play at the other places and they’re going to put up an awful lot of points, but quarterbacks who wake up and see themselves as a quarterback, they want that credibility. They want the verification and validation of handling all these nuances of offensive system. Pruitt’s bringing that and Guarantano’s excited about that.”

I'm still not sold that Chryst comes in and takes the job from him. It's going to be an interesting fall camp.

I think much of each of these guys success is dependant on the OL. Lots of pieces to the puzzle!!

Reactions: 7 people
I think much of each of these guys success is dependant on the OL. Lots of pieces to the puzzle!!

I don't dispute you, but it also has a lot to do with scheming to your strengths. That is squarely on the coaches to figure out.

I remember in Lane Kiffin's last year at Bama, an ESPN announcer during a game said that the preceding year, Bama ran a pro-style b/c of the QB and the next year (with a freshman QB) a read-option because of the QB. I'm not a Kiffin fan (largely b/c of his immaturity), but his ability to adapt to the strengths of his players is what ALL coaches should try and do.

Reactions: 18 people
I don't dispute you, but it also has a lot to do with scheming to your strengths. That is squarely on the coaches to figure out.

I remember in Lane Kiffin's last year at Bama, an ESPN announcer during a game said that the preceding year, Bama ran a pro-style b/c of the QB and the next year (with a freshman QB) a read-option because of the QB. I'm not a Kiffin fan (largely b/c of his immaturity), but his ability to adapt to the strengths of his players is what ALL coaches should try and do.

Well-said, sir. :good!:

Reactions: 1 person

That's what Butch failed to do. He couldn't adapt his offense to his personnel.

Reactions: 11 people
I would love to see Guarantano step up against West Virginia, the OL block, the skill players execute, and the scheme work to win by a twenty point margin. Ahhh off season optimism.

Reactions: 13 people
That minimalizes it. Botch could not adapt anything!
E Tennessee? NOPE
Winning? NOPE
Personnel? NOPE
Gimmicks? NOPE
Game management? NOPE
Play calling? NOPE

He's gone and it's time to move forward.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 3 people
I would love to see Guarantano step up against West Virginia, the OL block, the skill players execute, and the scheme work to win by a twenty point margin. Ahhh off season optimism.

This would be great!

I would also mean we have a good defense to be able to beat them by 20..........

I bet our offense surprises people. We have become so accustomed to Butch's conservative and finesse style of play that most people think that means we have no talent on that side of the ball.

This is the biggest hope that i have come fall camp. Chryst comes in a JG is like "dang this guy can ball, ive got to step my game up"! I hope that they push each other in practice and the coaches can maximize both players regardless of who wins the starting spot. I just hope who ever that is can win at a high level. I said this back when Chryst decided to come to UT. He isnt coming to ride the pine for his last year. Kid is coming to show out and make the league.

Reactions: 4 people

Butch just wasn't creative enough.

His constant use of coach speak and slogans was an indication of that. He struggled answering direct or uncomfortable questions that required to have some thought put into them.

Not saying he was dumb or anything, just didn't seem to be his strong suit. He seemed to have a comfort zone in everything he did and refused to get out of it.

You all saw what Nathan Peterman and Riley Ferguson did after escaping from Butch Jones.

I still believe JG can be an All-SEC quarterback.

Reactions: 10 people

The scary part is he didn't even have to change it much. Solution?

Put Hurd on the left, Dobbs in the middle, Kamara on the right.

How do you even consider trying to play anything but a straight up defense against that?

Reactions: 5 people
Butch just wasn't creative enough.

I think he tried to be too creative. See '15 OU, '15 UF, '17 UF.

There were times when his creativity paid off well. See '13 UGA, '14 Iowa, Outback Bowl vs. NW.

It was an up and down tenure for Butch.

How do you even consider trying to play anything but a straight up defense against that?
Seriously, think of the unpredictability. Hurd, Dobbs, or Kamara could run, it could be a pass to a receiver or one of the running backs, or some sort of option. I truly believe if we had any competent coach we would have had a shot at the playoffs in 15 or 16

The moment I knew CBJ was bad at his job. How do you not put those weapons on the field most plays?

Reactions: 2 people

I'm so glad you're in the ff posting!

Reactions: 2 people

I have no doubt Chryst comes in and takes the job...He has played in this style offense for years...Plus he is just a better QB.

The moment I knew CBJ was bad at his job. How do you not put those weapons on the field most plays?

I knew when we saw a talent and playmaker like Evan Berry pretty much confined to returning kickoffs for years!!! How does that happen in any other program in the entire country????? I kept waiting for him to be used as an offensive surprise against UF, UGA, or Bama of course which NEVER occurred. One needs to define how poorly Butch Jones and his staff performed as a whole with the talent they had one hand no better than the career of Evan Berry at UT. To the credit of Evan and his entire family, no one complained about in public. What class and love they must have for UT. To illustrate my point, you had some kids on The Hill during this same period of time who were routinely targeted as a receiver that dropped about as many balls as they ever caught during their entire career, and Evan Berry got less playing time watching that caliber of player on the field in front of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back