1536 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Pruitt’s Opinion on Grad Transfers... within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
Evergrenevol
Senior Member

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 474
Likes: 582
Pruitt’s Opinion on Grad Transfers..

A little different than Saban’s perspective....

Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt at odds with former boss Nick Saban
Evergrenevol is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
jpope9
Aight! Lets do this!
 
jpope9's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cookeville, TN
Posts: 3,060
Likes: 5,520
truth
jpope9 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Behr
Love ya buddy!
 
Behr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Myers FL
Posts: 49,018
Likes: 14,635
I know we're not supposed to say this on the internet because someone might think you're stupit, but I'd love for us to kick a game winning field goal against that little sawed off coark soaker in October.
Behr is offline  
VN Likes: 5
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
BigOrangeMojo
Senior Member
 
BigOrangeMojo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,524
Likes: 3,172
Players should be allowed to transfer without penalty or restriction in the following situations....

1. The head coach at their current school leaves/quits/fired.
2. They graduate from that school and have eligibility remaining
3. Their current school is placed on NCAA probation for a major rules violation
4. They can show a hardship that requires them to be closer to home
BigOrangeMojo is offline  
VN Likes: 9
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
aaronvol
Senior Member
 
aaronvol's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 2,067
Likes: 1,535
5. They want to play for Tennessee.
6. They originally signed with Alabama and realized how stupid of a mistake that was.
7. They like orange better than "redish".
aaronvol is offline  
VN Likes: 10
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
BowlBrother85
Senior Member

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Knoxville (West Hills)
Posts: 10,954
Likes: 14,404
What Pruitt said was spot on. I don't even think a graduate student who decides to pursue graduate studies at another college or university should be thought of as a "transfer". We don't do that with regular graduate students - just athletes.
BowlBrother85 is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
livefaith
Senior Member
 
livefaith's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ringgold, GA
Posts: 9,399
Likes: 8,082
I disagree with this grad x-fer loophole as a whole, not just the SEC overlay. Every GT that I've followed (more in bball) are not after a mystical degree not offered at their current school. They're just looking for a change of scenery for sports. I'm sure their are a tiny % of real cases out there tho. I don't understand Pruitt's philosophy of "If they graduate they are mature enough". That's like a straw man argument. Maturity of the player is not the reason the xferring without sitting out at the same level is not allowed. It's about the integrity of team rosters.

This is issue of transferring is about reducing the amount of players hopping around to different teams. If a player grads, then let them sit out a year like every other x-fer if they want to quit on their team and try another school. There are 1,000 different excuses that could be used to justify players transferring immediately. How does graduating change anything?

All that being said, I hope we get the kid (or Oregon) and anything else that jacks up Bama.
__________________
"There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."
livefaith is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-18-2018, 01:24 AM   #8
BowlBrother85
Senior Member

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Knoxville (West Hills)
Posts: 10,954
Likes: 14,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefaith View Post
I disagree with this grad x-fer loophole as a whole, not just the SEC overlay. Every GT that I've followed (more in bball) are not after a mystical degree not offered at their current school. They're just looking for a change of scenery for sports. I'm sure their are a tiny % of real cases out there tho. I don't understand Pruitt's philosophy of "If they graduate they are mature enough". That's like a straw man argument. Maturity of the player is not the reason the xferring without sitting out at the same level is not allowed. It's about the integrity of team rosters.

This is issue of transferring is about reducing the amount of players hopping around to different teams. If a player grads, then let them sit out a year like every other x-fer if they want to quit on their team and try another school. There are 1,000 different excuses that could be used to justify players transferring immediately. How does graduating change anything?

All that being said, I hope we get the kid (or Oregon) and anything else that jacks up Bama.
Your classification as an undergraduate student has changed. It should not be the job of either the NCAA or the SEC to question the motives of a student just because that student also participates in sports. It is very common (even the norm) for graduate students to pursue degrees at schools other than where they earned their bachelor's degree. There should be no punitive element for a graduate/student athlete. A graduate has not quit at anything but rather has completed their current coursework.

Last edited by BowlBrother85; 05-18-2018 at 01:43 AM..
BowlBrother85 is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-18-2018, 02:35 AM   #9
TUSKtimes
Riding The Wave
 
TUSKtimes's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: front of my laptop
Posts: 1,983
Likes: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behr View Post
I know we're not supposed to say this on the internet because someone might think you're stupit, but I'd love for us to kick a game winning field goal against that little sawed off coark soaker in October.
Having flashbacks of 2009?
__________________
"Have Defense Will Travel"
TUSKtimes is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-18-2018, 04:14 AM   #10
TNnative
Phil is back!
 
TNnative's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greenback, TN
Posts: 8,652
Likes: 6,697
I think a grad transfer from one SEC school to another makes for an interesting game narrative. It isn't the WWE (usually), and I can't see it causing any silliness like that. But if it does, it will probably happen here.
TNnative is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 AM   #11
Behr
Love ya buddy!
 
Behr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Myers FL
Posts: 49,018
Likes: 14,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSKtimes View Post
Having flashbacks of 2009?
Sorry, I was talking about the other little sawed off coark soaker, "St. Nick". You probably weren't old enough to remember, but we lost that game.
Behr is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #12
AllVol11717
Senior Member
 
AllVol11717's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 1,709
Likes: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefaith View Post
I disagree with this grad x-fer loophole as a whole, not just the SEC overlay. Every GT that I've followed (more in bball) are not after a mystical degree not offered at their current school. They're just looking for a change of scenery for sports. I'm sure their are a tiny % of real cases out there tho. I don't understand Pruitt's philosophy of "If they graduate they are mature enough". That's like a straw man argument. Maturity of the player is not the reason the xferring without sitting out at the same level is not allowed. It's about the integrity of team rosters.

This is issue of transferring is about reducing the amount of players hopping around to different teams. If a player grads, then let them sit out a year like every other x-fer if they want to quit on their team and try another school. There are 1,000 different excuses that could be used to justify players transferring immediately. How does graduating change anything?

All that being said, I hope we get the kid (or Oregon) and anything else that jacks up Bama.
“How does graduating change anything?” How does it not? You can try to frame graduate transferring as “quitting on their team” all you like but that’s a blatantly ignorant outlook. Graduate transfers generally play more years for a team than guys who go pro after three years, does this make them more or less loyal to their team?

They are not bound by contract to only play for one school for their entire life. And after fufilling their initial promise (which is 3-5 years, on yearly scholarships) players should be free to pursue their own interests. Similar to how contract workers in all fields work.
AllVol11717 is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
TUSKtimes
Riding The Wave
 
TUSKtimes's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: front of my laptop
Posts: 1,983
Likes: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behr View Post
Sorry, I was talking about the other little sawed off coark soaker, "St. Nick". You probably weren't old enough to remember, but we lost that game.

Not even my all time favorite. I was sitting at about the 30-yard line in that rust bucket by the river and Bama is playing #3 Tennessee to a 6-6 tie. Burke tries a long field goal late in the 4th quarter and Bama's Stacy Harrison blocks it.

Bama moves the ball downfield and with 4 seconds left All-SEC kicker Philip Doyle kicks a 47 yarder for the major upset. Bama wins 9-6. Gene Stalling gets his signature win after beating a vol team that was about a 2 TD favorite.

Oh, those pesky field goals.
__________________
"Have Defense Will Travel"
TUSKtimes is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #14
0nelilreb
Senior Member
 
0nelilreb's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 710
Likes: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behr View Post
Sorry, I was talking about the other little sawed off coark soaker, "St. Nick". You probably weren't old enough to remember, but we lost that game.
We lost that game( in my opinion )because our coach didn’t make it clear to the lineman that if the same guy blocks another field goal I’ll run you on the steps until you puke . I still to this day don’t understand how one (ummm slightly over his ideal body weight ) lineman blocks two field goals
0nelilreb is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
Behr
Love ya buddy!
 
Behr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Myers FL
Posts: 49,018
Likes: 14,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSKtimes View Post
Not even my all time favorite. I was sitting at about the 30-yard line in that rust bucket by the river and Bama is playing #3 Tennessee to a 6-6 tie. Burke tries a long field goal late in the 4th quarter and Bama's Stacy Harrison blocks it.

Bama moves the ball downfield and with 4 seconds left All-SEC kicker Philip Doyle kicks a 47 yarder for the major upset. Bama wins 9-6. Gene Stalling gets his signature win after beating a vol team that was about a 2 TD favorite.

Oh, those pesky field goals.
"Real happy for you, Dave".


I always liked Gene. Considering.
Behr is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.