2012 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 05-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #16
slickvol

Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeluvr View Post
There are Vol fans in west Tennessee and a good number D1 prospects in the area........
Yes, doesnt make any sense not play Memphis State unless you are of course worried you won't win.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
gunner
The Big Orange Gun

Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGodForgives View Post
That game would be more appealing than any of last year's non-conference excepting GT. Maybe it's a home-and-home issue. I don't trust any of the quotes from the AD, though. Who knows the real motivation?
I wish that UT played Memphis State and Middle Tennessee every year in Football, Baseball and Basketball. But, that’s just me.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #18
VFL-82-JP
Bleedin' Orange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Pro-tip: Use incognito mode on Chrome browser. You're welcome.
Thanks, brother.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke
"We're all one race, and that's the human race." -- Diamond and Silk
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #19
feathersax

Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
They are what they are
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th (5).jpg (14.4 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #20
508mikey

Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL-82-JP View Post
No thank you, Knoxville News.
just clear cookies and it starts over
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #21
T-TownVol

Quote:
Hiding that browsing history from the wifey huh.......
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #22
RollerVol

Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathersax View Post
They are what they are
dang, that's old...

GO VOLS!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #23
JFreak
Buck Fama

Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TownVol View Post
Hiding that browsing history from the wifey huh.......
Haha. That and a hatred for these "news" websites counting how many of their articles I click on.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #24
dduncan4163
Have at it Hoss

Quote:
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #25
dduncan4163
Have at it Hoss

That 96 game still haunts my soul. Still the worst loss I've ever experienced
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #26
VolBraniac
Big Member

Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL-82-JP View Post
No thank you, Knoxville News.
Oh, aight.

Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer says no plans to resume football series with Memphis

"Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer said Tuesday the door was open to restoring the football series with Memphis but as of now, there are no plans to add the Tigers to the schedule.

Speaking at the Big Orange Caravan at Agriculture International, Fulmer noted that the Tigers are a far different program than when he faced them eight times during his 17 years as coach of the Vols.

"They're a good team, a ranked team and playing well from what I saw," Fulmer said, "They've done quite well and it makes sense to have the conversation."

A Memphis athletic department spokesman said earlier Tuesday that there have been no conversations with Tennessee to resume the series, which has been dormant since 2010.

UT coach Jeremy Pruitt echoed that line of thought when he said he was not aware of any discussions to restore the series. He also praised Memphis for their improvement the last few years.

"They've done a fantastic job here the last couple coaches. I don't make the schedules, I just coach the teams we're going to play on Saturdays," Pruitt said.

Last game between Memphis, Vols was 2010
Tennessee defeated Memphis 50-14 in that 2010 meeting and is 22-1 all-time against Memphis. The lone defeat came in 1996 when the Tigers upset the then-No. 6 ranked Vols coached by Fulmer and led by quarterback legend Peyton Manning.

The eight-year gap since the last meeting is the longest since the teams first met in 1968 and it will extend at least a few more years because Memphis has finalized its nonconference schedule through 2022.

Memphis does have an opening for a nonconference game in 2023 but since the Tigers are planning to host Missouri, it seems unlikely they would reach out to play two SEC schools in the same year.

Fulmer went 7-1 against Memphis, the lone loss coming in 1996 when the Tigers upset the then-No. 6 ranked Vols, who had Manning in his junior season. Fulmer did stress that during his coaching tenure, Memphis was a priority in recruiting and he expected that would continue.

"We have a lot of not just athletes there but a lot of students, a lot of alumni, the med schools – there’s so many reasons to make this important to Tennessee," Fulmer said, "We thought when I was coaching, it was key for our success to come to Memphis and do well."

One of the Vols' recent Memphis-area recruits is Cordova alum Jerome Carvin, who enrolled in January. Pruitt said that Carvin showed great improvement during spring practice while seeing time at both offensive tackle and guard.

"I see a guy who works really hard. He's got a great work ethic," Pruitt said. "He's a really good competitor and has some power in his body."
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #27
VolBraniac
Big Member

Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaygolf View Post
I can't believe I'm typing this, but I think it's a no-win issue for UT. It doesn't really help with SoS when UT wins and Lord help the Vols if they lose. Game doesn't really make sense except for recruiting reasons. Why not play a game in Memphis every 2-3 yrs. like they did in the past? I remember several Miss St and Ole Miss games at the Liberty Bowl.
From Memphis, I'm with you. A game every once in a while.

I was at the 1996 game where we came in 5th ranked nationally and proceeded to lose w/ Peyton at the helm. Phil wouldn't release the Peyton Kraken because we were going to run the rock against 9 in the box hell or highwater.

2m 1996 Memphis upsets Tennessee and Peyton Manning! - YouTube

Last edited by VolBraniac; 05-17-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #28
VOLINVONORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismonque View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself.

For reading 10 KNS articles.
I still have ten left to read. I don't plan on reaching my limit anytime in the near future.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #29
snappervol
SnapperVol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan4163 View Post
That 96 game still haunts my soul. Still the worst loss I've ever experienced
We looked in slow motion much of the day, however, “the knee was down”
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #30
VFL-82-JP
Bleedin' Orange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBraniac View Post
Oh, aight.

Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer says no plans to resume football series with Memphis

Ha, thanks, Braniac!

You might be pushing the limits on some rule or other, but I appreciate it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke
"We're all one race, and that's the human race." -- Diamond and Silk
Reply With Quote TOP