Saban article is revealing.....

There’s a player at Alabama who may wish to transfer to UT. Saban always wants his cake, and is always trying to eat it.
It’s ironic that Alabama scholarships are only good for 1 year. This grad transfer article (recruiting) is a great example of how Saban really doesn’t care about his players best interests. He’s taken his share of grad transfers..

On the beat: Nick Saban's attempt to block potential Tennessee transfer revealing

Our scholarships are only good for one year. It’s not ironic. It’s the way it is at all schools.

Reactions: 1 person
So, the truth side of Saban has came out. I wished every 2019 recruit right now would withdraw their commitment, and come to Tennessee.😂🤣🤣

I thought all scholarships at all schools were one year

It's a little complicated.

About 6-8 years ago, the NCAA changed its rule book so that schools could begin to offer multi-year scholarships. All the way up to 4 years (5 with redshirt).

So it's an option everywhere.

But most schools don't use that option. Instead, there's usually an unwritten commitment between the players and their programs: you stay in good standing, keep your grades up, no big disciplinary issues, represent the university well, keep dedicated to the team, and we'll keep renewing your scholarship all the way through school.

And they do. You never hear about schools dumping players without cause, just because they didn't (for instance) ever make the two-deep.

In fact, just the opposite--most schools usually find ways to continue to pay for a young man's education even if he gets a career-ending injury and can't play any more. They may shift away from one of the 85 allowed football scholarships, but find another way to keep paying him to finish up.

So no, there aren't many formal 4-year scholarships these days (there are some; just not many). But there are a lot of year-by-year deals that feel almost just as if they were for the full ride.

Reactions: 10 people
It's a little complicated.

About 6-8 years ago, the NCAA changed its rule book so that schools could begin to offer multi-year scholarships. All the way up to 4 years (5 with redshirt).

So it's an option everywhere.

But most schools don't use that option. Instead, there's usually an unwritten commitment between the players and their programs: you stay in good standing, keep your grades up, no big disciplinary issues, represent the university well, keep dedicated to the team, and we'll keep renewing your scholarship all the way through school.

And they do. You never hear about schools dumping players without cause, just because they didn't (for instance) ever make the two-deep.

In fact, just the opposite--most schools usually find ways to continue to pay for a young man's education even if he gets a career-ending injury and can't play any more. They may shift away from one of the 85 allowed football scholarships, but find another way to keep paying him to finish up.

So no, there aren't many formal 4-year scholarships these days. But there are a lot of year-by-year deals that feel almost just as if they were for the full ride.

Nice post!

Reactions: 2 people
Hey, as much as I hate Alabama, I will dispute this. I won't mention any names. I know of a kid, friend of my son, that signed with Alabama. I happened to be invited to Saban's recruiting visit and did the photography there. I felt lucky to be a fly on the wall on one of these coaching visits.

Things didn't pan out for this kid, even though he had much potential. And for reasons I won't go into because I know the kid and his parents. Saban pretty much told him "If you break every bone in your body, I got your back and your education is covered"

Things didn't go as planned and Saban kept his word. Now, I'm not sure of he finished on an athletic scholarship, but he did finish and is now working on a masters, and to the best of my knowledge, he's got a full ride.

Many schools of thought - when you are winning the natty's like Saban has, you can hook a kid up with other avenues than burning a football scholarship. I'll never know just how it was accomplished, but Saban kept his word and looked out for this kid after his football days didn't pan out.

I didn't click on the article, just going by the thread and the OP's post. I have first hand knowledge of how he dealt with my son's best friend, and it was all good. Don't make a devil out of Saban.

All I can say, after I take a two hour shower to get the crimson off of me, is Go VOLS , Beat Bama.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
He can hire our head coach from the previous season that created our roster....but we can’t hire his backup center. Yeah. Ok Nicky

Reactions: 8 people
I remember the WR from Bowling Green (Dieter) who was a grad transfer to Alabama in 2016. Saban was aware of him and how good he was because of his film against us from 2015.

Saban wants every edge he can get, whether he needs it or not doesn't matter. That means double standards with some hypocrisy thrown in once in a while as well... You can get away with being a jerk when you are the best college football coach ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Regardless of all the riddle I don't see the issue with a kid earning a degree, graduating, and transferring to another school. It's done in basketball every single year with little to no adversity from the university itself let alone the head coach.

If you agree to terms and hold up your end of the agreement at the end of the day you did what you were supposed to do and should have the right to move on elsewhere. That being said, if in your initial scholarship, or whatever college players sign these days, there is some kind of non transfer clause to a conference opponent then that should be held as part of the agreement.

I don't know Jack **** I just was raised that way

Damn all you reasonable people! I need outrage! I need scandal!

Oh, forget it. Where’s my Facebook?

Reactions: 4 people
I don't get the big deal around the one year thing. That is exactly how financial aid for non athletes work. There are requirements to meet. You meet them, you keep the aid. You don't you lose the aid.

I remember the WR from Bowling Green (Dieter) who was a grad transfer to Alabama in 2016. Saban was aware of him and how good he was because of his film against us from 2015.

Saban wants every edge he can get, whether he needs it or not doesn't matter. That means double standards with some hypocrisy thrown in once in a while as well... You can get away with being a jerk when you are the best college football coach ever.

The better analogy would be the last time Alabama took a graduate transfer from Tennessee or any school in the SEC without the player sitting out a year. This is a rule that the conference put into place.

Byrant was similar and the restrictions on how many could be signed along with requirements for being in school were a lot less.

All coaches would do what Saban does if they had the chance.

Byrant was similar and the restrictions on how many could be signed along with requirements for being in school were a lot less.

All coaches would do what Saban does if they had the chance.

I don't agree with this. Saban is the only coach I'm aware of who has tried to place restrictions on grad transfers. These players are alums of your school now. You should be in full support of whatever they want to do.

The better analogy would be the last time Alabama took a graduate transfer from Tennessee or any school in the SEC without the player sitting out a year. This is a rule that the conference put into place.

A better analogy would be to compare this to the times Bama players have been in trouble with the law. Saban believes in second chances and doing what's best for the players, and I am okay with that, but this kid is a graduate and to my knowledge, has never been trouble. It's obvious he isn't going to start or he wouldn't be wanting to leave, so why not do what's best for the kid and allow him to pursue his career and education at the college of his choice? Rules are rules, but Saban allowed Maurice Smith to transfer. Why is Kennedy any different?

Reactions: 3 people
I don't get the big deal around the one year thing. That is exactly how financial aid for non athletes work. There are requirements to meet. You meet them, you keep the aid. You don't you lose the aid.

Well, that’s kind of a yes and no thing as well. When Saban took the job at Bama, he came in and pretty much cleaned house of players who didn’t measure up to his standards. If I remember correctly, he was one of the first coaches to do this. (a hardline business approach) I do remember that it caused quite a stink nationally. Many coaches now do the same thing today. It’s business. Was it fair to the players who were released from their scholarship?

In corporate business, this kind of thing happens everyday when there’s a change in management.

VN Store

Back