Nine programs that won a national title but never will again

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Never is a long time.

Tennessee

Twenty years ago, Tennessee won its last national title in the first year A.P. (After Peyton). Led by Tee Martin, the Vols took down Florida State in the first-ever BCS National Championship Game. Tennessee also won it all in 1938, 1940, 1950, 1951 and 1967.

In the two decades since their last national championship, Tennessee has gone from national power to consistently mediocre. The hope is that new head coach Jeremy Pruitt can revive the program.

This is probably the most controversial entry on our list. The Vols have a great fan base and home field, play in a premier league and can recruit at a high level. However, they are in the same division as Georgia and Florida, and play Alabama every year in a crossover matchup. We wouldn’t hold our breath waiting for them to climb to the top of college football again.

9 Programs That Have Won National Titles But Won't Ever Again

Reactions: 4 people
God gift wrapped BYU's 1984 title. Never is a long time BTW. This same question about titles could have easily been directed towards UGA during the Goff/Donnan years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Never say never because that could be a long time. Somewhere along the line were gonna get a team and so are those eight others that can compete for the title. I can see it happening for us in the next three years if not we'll start the Merry Go Around again because that is the ultimate goal and you can never lose site of it.

Reactions: 2 people
Well at least "never" is "controversial"! Queue the "so you're saying theirs a chance GIF.

The cyclical nature of our conference means we have another title coming.

Reactions: 5 people
Never is a bit harsh, but I absolutely do not believe another one will happen in my lifetime.

Trolls want attention so I hate to even respond to this article but we are the wealthiest program in the SEC, one of the wealthiest in the nation with a rich tradition. Yes, we have sucked for about a decade but in just 2007 we were one TD away from beating LSU and playing for another BCS championship. I think anyone with a lick of sense would realize we are just a few puzzle pieces away from being competitive for a title annually.

Reactions: 8 people
God gift wrapped BYU's 1984 title. Never is a long time BTW. This same question about titles could have easily been directed towards UGA during the Goff/Donnan years.

Georgia always had the recruiting edge over TN. I won't say they "always" will, but I think the sport itself would have to fundamentally change in terms of what makes a recruit 5-star to make TN a hotbed of talent (as in no more tackling, no more need for linemen, etc.). Georgia's number is going to come up one of these years. I think we had ours in 1998.

Even within their own article they acknowledge that Tennessee is capable of recruiting at a high level. Their biggest argument seems to be our competition but will Saban be at Alabama forever... and at least in the last 4 years, Florida hasn't been much better than us. And Freak is right, you can't say "never" about anything when it comes to sports. There is a first year franchise in the NHL Western Conference Finals right now (Vegas).

I have never heard of this site... but they are trolling us. Ignore it.

When you hire coaches who literally never set a goal for the team like, lets say, winning the flipping East, or going to the SEC championship game, hopes for NC title contention fade quickly.

I thought when Tenn won it all in 20 years ago I would see a couple more I was 19 then now nearly 40 and sadly I’m thinking I might not ever see another one.

Reactions: 1 person
When you hire coaches who literally never set a goal for the team like, lets say, winning the flipping East, or going to the SEC championship game, hopes for NC title contention fade quickly.

I hear you but it is ridiculous to say that a team is not capable of ever winning another national championship when you also admit that they can recruit at an elite level. We may or may not win another national championship again for many reasons but odds are, there will come a time when we have the talent to. We should not be on a list like this with Minnesota, Georgia Tech and BYU.

Trolls want attention so I hate to even respond to this article but we are the wealthiest program in the SEC, one of the wealthiest in the nation with a rich tradition. Yes, we have sucked for about a decade but in just 2007 we were one TD away from beating LSU and playing for another BCS championship. I think anyone with a lick of sense would realize we are just a few puzzle pieces away from being competitive for a title annually.

I think you're thinking of 2001, not 2007.

But it's certainly possible for UT to win another NC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It's reassuring to know that there will always be nobodies out there plumbing the depths of pointless stupidity.

So one of the reasons we’ll never win a NC is because we’re in a division with one program that hasn’t won a NC since the “forever” that existed before the writer was born and another that has been irrelevant since Ohio State’s coach abandoned them almost a decade ago? Science. :question:

Reactions: 3 people
So one of the reasons we’ll never win a NC is because we’re in a division with one program that hasn’t won a NC since the “forever” that existed before the writer was born and another that has been irrelevant since Ohio State’s coach abandoned them almost a decade ago? Science. :question:

Georgia is getting one real soon either this year or next count on it.

011-never-say-never-again-james-bond-wallpaper.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back