Alabama blocking grad transfer from talking to us

Huh. I wasn't aware that the SEC still had a rule blocking grad transfers within the conference (from one SEC team to another SEC team). I thought that rule was struck down with that Bama-to-Georgia transfer case from a couple of years ago.

The NCAA sure has no rule against it.

Maybe this young man will fight Bama about it and win, as the kid who went to Georgia did.

Reactions: 7 people
Huh. I wasn't aware that the SEC still had a rule blocking grad transfers within the conference (from one SEC team to another SEC team). I thought that rule was struck down with that Bama-to-Georgia transfer case from a couple of years ago.

The NCAA sure has no rule against it.

Maybe this young man will fight Bama about it and win, as the kid who went to Georgia did.

He already filed an appeal.
It would be hard for the NCAA to rule against him considering the former decision.

- SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey stated that a grad transfer should have the freedom to go wherever he chooses as long as he’s completed the requirements asked of him by the school he currently attends.

“The standard for granting waivers has been clear and compelling evidence that there is reason for allowing an exception to SEC rules,” Sankey said back in 2016. “I found, among other contributing factors, that a student-athlete who graduates in three years and exhibits a strong commitment to his or her academic future provides compelling motivation to help them achieve their goals on and off the field.”

He will be granted the transfer, imo.

Reactions: 16 people
I'd guess we're swept up by default. We're not going to be a threat to Bama any time soon before Nick retires...I'd guess ultimately doesn't want him going to Auburn

Reactions: 1 person
I'd guess we're swept up by default. We're not going to be a threat to Bama any time soon before Nick retires...I'd guess ultimately doesn't want him going to Auburn

I understand where our program is compared to bama's but it's college football. Wacky things happen. Adding a piece to the OL can make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
- SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey stated that a grad transfer should have the freedom to go wherever he chooses as long as he’s completed the requirements asked of him by the school he currently attends.

“The standard for granting waivers has been clear and compelling evidence that there is reason for allowing an exception to SEC rules,” Sankey said back in 2016. “I found, among other contributing factors, that a student-athlete who graduates in three years and exhibits a strong commitment to his or her academic future provides compelling motivation to help them achieve their goals on and off the field.”

Yes especially if UTs legal team gets involved. All they have to do is pretty much present what you have written and show how Kennedy has done as a student. Seems pretty cut and dry I would say.

Bama tried to do this either last year or in 2016 to a grad transfer wanting to go to UGA. Bama lost. So we should get this guy.

Not sure we get him even if he wins his appeal with Bama. I heard on some sports talk radio this his preference is Oregon whose head coach was his former offensive line coach at Bama.

I'm in favor of letting the kid go where he wants. But I don't get Sankey's statement. If that's what he believes, why even have a rule that prevents transfers within the conference? That makes absolutely no sense.

Not sure we get him even if he wins his appeal with Bama. I heard on some sports talk radio this his preference is Oregon whose head coach was his former offensive line coach at Bama.

Are you sure you are not confusing him for Dallas warmack, he is a bama grad transfer that has announced he is going to Oregon?

Reactions: 9 people
On another level. Why on Earth would Bama care @ a grad xfer next year. If he was Bruce Matthews reincarnate will it really matter next yr?

Well hells bells, we let Butchie go to Bama, so Kennedy should be able to come to UT.

Alabama has in fact put that block on Kennedy, who is reportedly interested in joining Tennessee or Auburn. Kennedy graduated from Alabama back in December so he will be eligible to play immediately at his new school.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back