Some Rashaan Gaulden Draft Love

CTVolsfan14

twitter- CJSOUSA14
Thought it was cool to stumble upon this article on espn and our guy was mentioned. Hope Rashaan finds a good fit. In the right system and his ability to play the nickel, safety, and maybe even wide corner I think he has a productive career ahead! Enjoy!:hi:

Article Title : Dear NFL, please don't overthink these productive college stars

"Rashaan Gaulden, DB, Tennessee
Gaulden's infamous middle-fingered salute to Alabama fans a year ago in Tuscaloosa might not have been his finest moment (and, yes, Gaulden apologized), but he has a lot of game and was one of the few bright spots for the Vols in an otherwise forgettable 2017 season. At 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, Gaulden can play pretty much anywhere in the secondary. He was outstanding in the nickelback role for Tennessee and has the kind of instincts you simply can't teach, not to mention great ball skills. It's not out of the question that Gaulden could play some cornerback in the NFL. Teams like his length, and as a safety, he has demonstrated good range down the field and shown he can be disruptive in the run game with tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He forced three fumbles and recovered three fumbles last season. Because he's not purely a cornerback or purely a safety, Gaulden will probably go later in the draft than he should. But his versatility will make him one of those players about whom teams will ask themselves in years to come why they didn't snatch him up when they had the chance."

NFL draft sleepers college stars productivity

Reactions: 9 people
I'm glad that Herbie did not write that article for ESPN. He would be too busy salivating over Baker Mayfield's junk grabbing passion while wanting to deny Gaulden a career due to the double bird....

Reactions: 7 people
I think Gaulden will play in the NFL for a long time. I was always impressed with his play, toughness and never give up attitude. It's too bad his emotion got the better of him with his salute to 'Bama because it will probably drop him a few spots in the draft. Hopefully teams can look past that - he was a guy who never had any issues whatsoever and played his butt off.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with the assessment. He's a beast. My only disagreement is over the idea that he weighs 195#. I don't see that at all. 180-185 IMO, but who knows maybe someone weighed him in recently.

While the bamabird showed immaturity, it also revealed one quality. He is a fighter that hates to lose. You could see it every time out this year. RG played angrier and angrier as the season went on. Someone's getting a steal if they go late on him.

my favorite RG moment
flop.0.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Mayfield gets arrested and runs from police. Gaulden gives the finger which was stupid. But baker goes one and Gaulden drops. Which is really worse?

Reactions: 1 person
Mayfield gets arrested and runs from police. Gaulden gives the finger which was stupid. But baker goes one and Gaulden drops. Which is really worse?

That is a great point. Heaven's knows I am glad all the dumb decisions I made in college did not make ESPN prime time but Baker seemed more reckless than most. At the end of the day they will hopefully mature and start making better decisions. It is interesting to me that Cleveland has drafted yet another wild and reckless talented kid after getting burned my Manziel.

I really like this young man and wish him the best. That said, when some talk about him "bringing the wood" and being a "hitter" I can't recall seeing that often during games. Compare any play Gaulden ever produced against the famous and beloved Eric Berry hit on Knowshow (they changed his name after Berry almost knocked him into the cheap seats) Moreno as an example of a Vol DB actually laying the wood and or being a hitter. Let's keep the benchmark high, ya'll.

I'm glad that Herbie did not write that article for ESPN. He would be too busy salivating over Baker Mayfield's junk grabbing passion while wanting to deny Gaulden a career due to the double bird....

In all fairness, Herbie did apologize to Gaulden for how he responded to the birds but gave Mayfield a pass.

Well, Mayfield is a QB. Not the best QB and a risky take that high but still was prolly gonna go 1st round anyway. Gaulden is a beast but not nearly the best DB in the field and hasn’t had an opportunity to show if he’s got lockdown ability on the perimeter in college. In my opinion it’s not a surprise at all if you’re comparing the two based on mistakes they’ve made. NFL has shown in the past they will take guys who’ve had “problems” (Mayfield) high up in the draft.

In all fairness, Herbie did apologize to Gaulden for how he responded to the birds but gave Mayfield a pass.

Agreed. People need to let the Herbie thing go in my opinion. I think he does a fantastic job and he apologized. Showed humility.

How do you know he dropped - as much as I love him he was never going to be a first round pick?

That is a great point. Heaven's knows I am glad all the dumb decisions I made in college did not make ESPN prime time but Baker seemed more reckless than most. At the end of the day they will hopefully mature and start making better decisions. It is interesting to me that Cleveland has drafted yet another wild and reckless talented kid after getting burned my Manziel.

I agree that was interesting because Cleveland has obviously made poor poor choices in the past especially with QBs. They've been smarter in the draft at least have been since last year.

Imo Mayfield is the most ready out of all the QBs but the others having more potential. I don't see him being a dirt bag like Manziel but definitely a douche on the field which he'll literally pay for.

Mayfield has every bit the skill set that Drew Brees brought into the NFL. Whether he advances it or not depends on his own noggin and the offensive system he operates. If there’s a Sean Payton lite in that Browns mess nest they need to scare him up.

Herbie walked it all back and publicly apologized to RG. Get over it.

Reactions: 1 person

That was bizarre by Herbie. Mayfield grabs his junk and he’s “competitive” (which he is). But Rashaan flips off the Bama fans and he needs to be booted from the team. What was he thinking?

At least he came back and later fessed up to having a hypocritical take, and said Rashaan was right to call him out.

Well, Mayfield is a QB. Not the best QB and a risky take that high but still was prolly gonna go 1st round anyway. Gaulden is a beast but not nearly the best DB in the field and hasn’t had an opportunity to show if he’s got lockdown ability on the perimeter in college. In my opinion it’s not a surprise at all if you’re comparing the two based on mistakes they’ve made. NFL has shown in the past they will take guys who’ve had “problems” (Mayfield) high up in the draft.

Wasn’t saying Gaulden should go ahead of Mayfield. Was just saying one drops because of behavior but the other goes as high or higher and at a position that makes him the face of the franchise.

VN Store

Back