2080 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on O &W game concerns Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 04-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #16
SpaceCoastVol

O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Grad View Post
Daniel was a tremendous punter, no doubt. However, I can think of many ex-Vol punters that made it in the NFL. Ron Widby, Herman Weaver, Jimmy, Craig, Dustin, and Britton Colquitt, Matt Darr, and Michael Palardy. I have probably forgotten somebody.
Fu-ad
Old 04-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #17
Boca Vol

O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastVol View Post
Fu-ad
Considering he was a placekicker...
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #18
Hawkeye4588

O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
I agree the punting was poor. Which is what makes it strange our field goal kicker looked so good.

If I were Pruitt I would send a recruiter on an all expenses paid vacation to Australia to find an Australian rules rugby player. Those guys make the best punters. They can get rid of the ball quickly and just kill it for distance.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #19
SpaceCoastVol

O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca Vol View Post
Considering he was a placekicker...
Yeah I realized that after I posted. oops. Dropped the crayon.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #20
RedstoneVol

O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf437 View Post
We do not have the offensive talent right now so this year we will need a punter.
We don't have offensive talent??? Callaway, Jennings, Trey Smith, Chance Hall, Ty Chandler, etc. Those guys aren't talented. We still have a lot of 4 and 5 stars on the roster.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #21
SpaceCoastVol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedstoneVol View Post
We don't have offensive talent??? Callaway, Jennings, Trey Smith, Chance Hall, Ty Chandler, etc. Those guys aren't talented. We still have a lot of 4 and 5 stars on the roster.
I think it is a preemptive coping mechanism for some to say that kind of stuff.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #22
peaygolf

O&W game really did nothing to change any of my concerns. This team will look a lot different come fall than it does in April.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #23
kmacvolfan

Quote:
Daniel was a tremendous punter, no doubt. However, I can think of many ex-Vol punters that made it in the NFL. Ron Widby, Herman Weaver, Jimmy, Craig, Dustin, and Britton Colquitt, Matt Darr, and Michael Palardy. I have probably forgotten somebody.
Neal Clabo
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #24
reecetn

O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by squints View Post
the biggest concern, according to pruitt:

lmao!!!!!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #25
BeecherVol
Ridge Runner

O &W game concerns
O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_Vol View Post
I'm more worried about the cornerbacks and the OL.
I think the OL will be fine if Hall and Smith both get healthy. CB is going to be limited this year.

DL depth.
LB has some talent and more coming but getting that group together may take some time.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #26
05_never_again

O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastVol View Post
I think it is a preemptive coping mechanism for some to say that kind of stuff.
I agree.

I don't expect us to be good next year either, but to say that there is none, or very little, talent on this roster is just inaccurate. Pruitt is inheriting much more talent than Dooley or Butch did. The depth is lacking at some position groups, but there are good frontline guys on this team. You couldn't say that about the rosters Dooley and Butch inherited, with very limited exceptions.

That's what makes the last few years of Tennessee football so disappointing - they are supposed to be good. They are good on paper. Several guys on the O and D-lines were very highly recruited. Could have gone almost anywhere. Couldn't say that about Dooley and Butch's teams, and the equivalency between those rosters and this roster needs to stop. Dooley was starting walk-ons on the O-line, for example.
no excusesess. no kiddicking game no nothing. We had the Gatotors beat an we let Muschagravechamp beat us? bull hocky let the DoDo go. no more embarrishment let his arse go, now quicker than a c hicken putt let our people go. We are Tennessee.nomore dumkoff
- volomon
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #27
savannahfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyland123 View Post
One of the biggest concerns ( which it was several) was the punting. To me our punting game looked bad. I think we are really going to miss Trevor Daniel. He could change field position with his punting and we know special teams is a big part of a game.
A couple of 50 yarders with what seemed to be fairly good hang time after the kickers settled in made me feel better,at least after that first 25-30 yard whiff. Field goal kicking won't show it's face until the chips are down.

As for trying to compare these or any kickers to Daniel, well not many come along that can compare. He was t as good as we have had in a long time.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #28
savannahfan

Quote:
Ron Widby comes to mind anytime I it try to compare our current punter to the best.

Not many on this site are old enough to remember him. But, lord, he could kick the ball as high and long as anyone I have ever seen. (including the great Guy) I swear sitting high up in the stadium, you had to look way up to follow the ball's flight.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #29
1972 Grad

O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns O &W game concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacvolfan View Post
Neal Clabo
I knew that I would forget somebody. Minnesota Vikings, correct?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #30
savannahfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_never_again View Post
I agree.

I don't expect us to be good next year either, but to say that there is none, or very little, talent on this roster is just inaccurate. Pruitt is inheriting much more talent than Dooley or Butch did. The depth is lacking at some position groups, but there are good frontline guys on this team. You couldn't say that about the rosters Dooley and Butch inherited, with very limited exceptions.

That's what makes the last few years of Tennessee football so disappointing - they are supposed to be good. They are good on paper. Several guys on the O and D-lines were very highly recruited. Could have gone almost anywhere. Couldn't say that about Dooley and Butch's teams, and the equivalency between those rosters and this roster needs to stop. Dooley was starting walk-ons on the O-line, for example.
All true. But to look a bit further, they weren't facing a very strong east. Right now, the east is becoming a force to be reckoned with and we have been left behind. This makes his job as tough and likely tougher than either of those last guys.

Last edited by savannahfan; 04-24-2018 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP