Tommy Tuberville expects great things from Phil Fulmer-Jeremy Pruitt duo

KBVol

From John Brice...

http://gridironnow.com/tommy-tuberville-expects-great-things-at-ut-from-phil-fulmer-jeremy-pruitt-combo/

Couple of snippets-

“No (conflict), I think that was a great move by Tennessee,” Tuberville said on the show. “Every school in the conference has got to have an edge up, and I think that’s the edge up for Tennessee.

“When they hired Phillip Fulmer, he knows how to win in the conference. He brought a young coach in that’s never been a head coach; it’s going to take him a while, but Phillip is going to mentor him, he’s going to teach him the ins and outs of Tennessee, the ins and outs of Tennessee football, and if he’ll listen to him, I think Tennessee is going to be a very good football team in three or four years.”

Tuberville said he and his staff noted the onset of the decline in Tennessee football roughly a decade ago from The Plains, when the Vols’ recruiting slipped under Fulmer. The veteran coach and current TV analyst says that’s where Pruitt, with Fulmer’s guidance, must get Tennessee back to its foundation.

“They’ve got to get back to their roots in terms of how they recruit Tennessee, win in Tennessee in recruiting,” he said. “Tennessee is really growing in population and I think the high schools there are going to get much, much better and be able to turn out better athletes. And they’ve got to get back to Georgia recruiting. And that’s what happened, even Phillip will tell you that. He got away from recruiting in Georgia when we were at Auburn and they kind of got in trouble.

“I know Phillip, he’s a smart guy, he understands it, he’s not going to push Jeremy Pruitt around. He’s going to mentor him; he wants Tennessee to win as much as anybody. And so I think it’s going to be a scenario a lot like Wisconsin. Barry Alvarez is the best athletic director in college, they win in almost every sport and Phillip Fulmer will do the same thing. He understands coaches and the No. 1 thing about being an athletic director is hiring them (coaches) and managing your coaches. Everything else will take care of itself. This stuff about we need to hire an A.D. to go out and raise money or do this or do that… that doesn’t solve problems. What solves problems is keeping your coaches there, helping them understand what helps them and Phillip Fulmer is a perfect choice.”

Reactions: 17 people
From John Brice...

http://gridironnow.com/tommy-tuberville-expects-great-things-at-ut-from-phil-fulmer-jeremy-pruitt-combo/

Couple of snippets-

“No (conflict), I think that was a great move by Tennessee,” Tuberville said on the show. “Every school in the conference has got to have an edge up, and I think that’s the edge up for Tennessee.

“When they hired Phillip Fulmer, he knows how to win in the conference. He brought a young coach in that’s never been a head coach; it’s going to take him a while, but Phillip is going to mentor him, he’s going to teach him the ins and outs of Tennessee, the ins and outs of Tennessee football, and if he’ll listen to him, I think Tennessee is going to be a very good football team in three or four years.”

Tuberville said he and his staff noted the onset of the decline in Tennessee football roughly a decade ago from The Plains, when the Vols’ recruiting slipped under Fulmer. The veteran coach and current TV analyst says that’s where Pruitt, with Fulmer’s guidance, must get Tennessee back to its foundation.

“They’ve got to get back to their roots in terms of how they recruit Tennessee, win in Tennessee in recruiting,” he said. “Tennessee is really growing in population and I think the high schools there are going to get much, much better and be able to turn out better athletes. And they’ve got to get back to Georgia recruiting. And that’s what happened, even Phillip will tell you that. He got away from recruiting in Georgia when we were at Auburn and they kind of got in trouble.

“I know Phillip, he’s a smart guy, he understands it, he’s not going to push Jeremy Pruitt around. He’s going to mentor him; he wants Tennessee to win as much as anybody. And so I think it’s going to be a scenario a lot like Wisconsin. Barry Alvarez is the best athletic director in college, they win in almost every sport and Phillip Fulmer will do the same thing. He understands coaches and the No. 1 thing about being an athletic director is hiring them (coaches) and managing your coaches. Everything else will take care of itself. This stuff about we need to hire an A.D. to go out and raise money or do this or do that… that doesn’t solve problems. What solves problems is keeping your coaches there, helping them understand what helps them and Phillip Fulmer is a perfect choice.”

👍🏼 Nice read , thanks KB

Reactions: 2 people
At one time, Tennessee was not a place where the head coach had to be “mentored”. Times sure have changed.

Reactions: 3 people
Mentor? WTF was he doing all that time under Saban?

If he is not ready right now, why did we hire him?

Reactions: 4 people

Why are you taking a word which used by someone (Tommy Tuberville) who has never been affiliated with the University of Tennessee Athletic Department in any capacity and running with it like this? Did our AD Phillip Fulmer say that he would be mentoring our head coach Jeremy Pruitt? No. Did our head coach say that he needed mentoring from our AD? No. This was Tuberville's word. Why get worked up over it? Because you and fade route are hunting for some negativity when we already have that in spades on this forum.

Reactions: 18 people

Kirby Smart had never been a head coach before 2016, and he sure as hell didn’t look like he was ready in year one......how’d he look in year 2 while he was winning the SEC and playing in the National Title game?

The primary point of the article is that Pruitt has a former head coach at Tennessee....a HOF, national title winning coach at Tennessee as his boss, who he can lean on to understand about the history and traditions of our great program, and to shorten his learning curve......and that’s its a significant advtange for Pruitt and the program that he does. Imho, the arrangement is something to be celebrated by Vols fans, not mocked.

Reactions: 18 people

You can bet that to some extent Woodruff mentored Dickey, and Dickey mentored Fulmer. Majors probably didn't listen to anybody but Majors when he came to TN, and there was nobody in the AD to do anything for the last three coaches.

Everybody can benefit by discussing things with someone who has been there. Wisdom takes a while to compile, so expect the older coaches to have stored away some stuff that new coaches haven't figured out yet.

Reactions: 5 people

All the great ones didn't learn from just one guy. Pruitt is ready, the type of mentality this post implies is part of the problem with the fan base IMO. You got to be patient and let him build. It sucks to be patient, especially for as long as we have but Pruitt can get us there as long as we, the fans,support him and give him time.

At one time, Tennessee was not a place where the head coach had to be “mentored”. Times sure have changed.

In a perfect world we would just keep promoting from within every 15 years or so. Once that head coach is ready to retire, promote the top assistant and keep the cycle going. Unfortunately that’s not how things usually go.

Why are you taking a word which used by someone (Tommy Tuberville) who has never been affiliated with the University of Tennessee Athletic Department in any capacity and running with it like this? Did our AD Phillip Fulmer say that he would be mentoring our head coach Jeremy Pruitt? No. Did our head coach say that he needed mentoring from our AD? No. This was Tuberville's word. Why get worked up over it? Because you and fade route are hunting for some negativity when we already have that in spades on this forum.

Jeremy Pruitt did say that he would lean on Phil's knowledge from time to time. Just repeating what the Head Coach said.

Reactions: 1 person
You can bet that to some extent Woodruff mentored Dickey, and Dickey mentored Fulmer. Majors probably didn't listen to anybody but Majors when he came to TN, and there was nobody in the AD to do anything for the last three coaches.

Everybody can benefit by discussing things with someone who has been there. Wisdom takes a while to compile, so expect the older coaches to have stored away some stuff that new coaches haven't figured out yet.

Bob Devaney mentored Tom Osbourne. There are numerous cases when successful coaches moving to AD and mentoring their successor.

And so I think it’s going to be a scenario a lot like Wisconsin. Barry Alvarez is the best athletic director in college, they win in almost every sport and Phillip Fulmer will do the same thing...

Now how nice would it be to have a truly elite program that embraces all athletic pursuits with equality?

I'd say pretty damn nice.

Bob Devaney mentored Tom Osbourne. There are numerous cases when successful coaches moving to AD and mentoring their successor.

To me it's simply the natural progression - just makes sense. Without Hamilton, his minders, and a rabid fan base, Fulmer to AD and a new young protege might have happened several years ago; and we could well have been spared this ten year stretch of incredible stupidity.

I think "mentoring" to be a head coach will be things like, "It might be unproductive to diminish fans that don't make it to a scrimmage." Stuff like that.CPF knows what doesn't work in media.

I think "mentoring" to be a head coach will be things like, "It might be unproductive to diminish fans that don't make it to a scrimmage." Stuff like that.CPF knows what doesn't work in media.

I didn’t make it to the “scrimmage”. I don’t feel “diminished”. Maybe just let the fragile fly away...like the delicate flower petals they be. :peace:

Reactions: 1 person
"...He’s going to mentor him; he wants Tennessee to win as much as anybody.”

This is why I fail to understand that some hate Fulmer. He wants us to be a powerhouse again. You can say all you want about Haslam and the Fulmer conspiracies but Fulmer wants us to succeed. Whether he had an elaborate scheme to push his way to AD or not, he knows football, he knows coaches, he knows Tennessee athletics. Why would you want anyone else? The guy was a UT player, HOF coach that brought us our last championship. The perfect fit to get us back to the top. Not some AD that was groomed like a politician.

Reactions: 5 people
Hang on are you telling me there is nothing to be learned from a guy who won 150+ games and a national championship

lol

Well of course there’s not GFW, what the hell does he know about it? All he ever did was stab Johnny in the back in ‘92. All those wins and that natty, why, they were pretty much Majors’.....and besides, Fulmer didn’t recruit well in 2007.

Last edited:
How many years does the fanbase have to wait before UT is relevant in the SEC? Tuberville thinks 3-4 years; Former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy said “probably none” of the Vols who played in the Orange and White Game on Saturday would start for the Crimson Tide svaae for maybe Trey Smith.

Why can other teams turn around in a year or two and Tennessee cannot? Tennessee has become Vanderbilt......heck Tennessee has lost to Vandy 4 out of the past 6 years.....

VN Store

Back