RB: Chandler,
TE: Wolf, Pope
WR: Callaway, Palmer, Johnson
LT: Richmond
LG: Locklear
C: Johnson
RG: Carvin
RT: Tatum

As I get 2nd teams I’ll post.....or, if anyone sees elsewhere, please add them here.

Reactions: 15 people
Been looking forward to this! Appreciate the post. Excited to see our CBs improvement.

That first OL tho...

Surprised about the TE’s...I’ve literally seen nothing about those two the whole spring...I expected to see Bumphus in there

Reactions: 1 person
Carvin with the ones.....i really want to be impressed with that. and that has nothing to do with him, personally.

Shamburger in the Star spot, should be good......

Forgot Wolf was still on the roster. for some reason thought be might have graduated or gone to draft. He could be a big part of offense this year with a QB that will likely need to get the ball out quickly

Forgot Wolf was still on the roster. for some reason thought be might have graduated or gone to draft. He could be a big part of offense this year with a QB that will likely need to get the ball out quickly

it's the younger brother. Eli. Ethan is done.:thumbsup:

Reactions: 7 people
I confess I don't know much about the 3-4 defense. But I thought the line consisted of a Nose Tackle and two Defensive Ends. We have one DE, one NT, and one DT? How's that work?

I confess I don't know much about the 3-4 defense. But I thought the line consisted of a Nose Tackle and two Defensive Ends. We have one DE, one NT, and one DT? How's that work?

body type. both Phillips and Kongbo 'fit' more of what a 3-4 end looks like....bigger, thicker, and still fairly athletic, but definitely strong enough to go up against 2 OL when they have to.

similarly Daryl Taylor last year was a DE, now he's an OLB...he can stand up, or put a hand in the dirt.

Two DEs is technically what you have in 3-4, but sometimes the Jack comes down to play like a DE. I’d assume the DT is the player who plays inside when the jack slides down. The DE stays on the outside.

Or it could be a typo?

Reactions: 2 people

Look, bottom line, wether 43 or 34, it's still 7 in the box. Both defenses need the same thing. 7 men who can stop the run, and get pressure on QB.

Reactions: 3 people
I always assumed that the other DT was essentially a DT, and the Jack played the role of a stand up DE. But what do I know I played NT in a 5-3

body type. both Phillips and Kongbo 'fit' more of what a 3-4 end looks like....bigger, thicker, and still fairly athletic, but definitely strong enough to go up against 2 OL when they have to.

I see. But then, they should be listing Phillips as a DE in that case, right?

Two DEs is technically what you have in 3-4, but sometimes the Jack comes down to play like a DE. I’d assume the DT is the player who plays inside when the jack slides down. The DE stays on the outside.

Or it could be a typo?

That makes a lot of sense. So under that scheme, the Jack would always be on the same side as Phillips, while Kongbo would be on the opposite end of the line, always on the outside?

So the DT for Phillips is really shorthand for DT/DE? Like Jack is shorthand for OLB/DE or Star is short for OLB/slot coverage DB?

edit: thinking about it a minute longer, this all just seems to be nomenclature for a defense created (and manned) to shift easily between a 3-4-4, a 4-3-4, and a 3-3-5 nickel (or even a 4-2-5), without having to change out personnel on the field. Right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Might be my old eye sight, but I'm not seeing Jeremy Banks (RB). Is he hurt? Any ideas?

Ty Chandler not only is the #1 RB on the team, probably our best playmaker on the whole roster this season.

Dumb question from me though - where's Jennings? Not practicing in Spring? Have to earn his way back to the top of the chart? Just got beat out? Anyone? Thanks!

Look, bottom line, wether 43 or 34, it's still 7 in the box. Both defenses need the same thing. 7 men who can stop the run, and get pressure on QB.

Sure, man. But that doesn't mean they aren't different schemes, right? I mean, there are reasons some DCs love the 4-3 and others love the 3-4. There are reasons it can be challenging to switch a program from one to the other. The body builds and skill sets aren't the same, and a coaching staff can be stuck with the wrong talent for their preferred scheme.

So at the base, it's all 7 guys in the box (unless nickel) who have to stop the run and pressure the passer. Just like at its base, the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado are both just American pickup trucks. But try to tell my old man they're basically the same, and get ready for a 3-hour rant. Heh. :)

Last edited:
Ty Chandler not only is the #1 RB on the team, probably our best playmaker on the whole roster this season.

Dumb question from me though - where's Jennings? Not practicing in Spring? Have to earn his way back to the top of the chart? Just got beat out? Anyone? Thanks!

Several key players missing from the O&W game. Not just Jennings, but DKJr, TKJr, etc. All recovering from injuries or off-season surgery. And apparently (according to CJP comments), all pretty close to being back to playing form. Just not quite in time for the starting slots this Saturday. Maybe we'll see some of them on field as the game plays out.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back