Spring Practice Updates Day 10
Spring Practice Updates Day 11
Spring practice Updates Day 13

VIDEOS

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdjILRIjA28[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDIEfxctQA[/youtube]

VQ Highlights: https://player.vimeo.com/video/265646148

NOTES

Coach Johnny Majors was at the #Vols practice facility today. Didn't see him on the field when media was allowed there though.

The Vols were just in helmets and shorts, but multiple staff members were clearly displeased with the effort early in practice, even for a lighter workout.

Elsewhere, Chris Rumph continued to give Jordan Allen the business, making the JUCO do up-downs after he committed a would-be facemask penalty and then lined up offsides on the very next rep. Austin Smith also drew some spirited words during the session.

The OL was doing its usual fundamental work, but notably Greg Emerson was getting reps at RT today.

Brian Niedermeyer was all over Jacob Warren and James Brown, but Latrell Bumphus received some praise for his pad level and physicality.

Devante Brooks and Trey Smith were with the S&C staff, as were Jauan Jennings, Todd Kelly Jr. and Chance Hall. Joining them were TE Ja’Quain Blakely, who was rocking a boot on his foot, and linebacker Dillon Bates.
j.simonton

Footwork, flipping the hips and high-pointing the ball in the air were the focus for the defensive backs with the cornerbacks and safeties rolling through reps three at a time with Jeremy Pruitt watching closely nearby and shouting little suggestions and reminders to his secondary players.

At one point freshman Alontae Taylor, in what can be considered an attempt to expedite a transition to cornerback that may or may not wind up being permanent, mirrored the three players actually going through the rep even though it wasn't his turn to do so before jumping back in line.

As has been the case much of spring, Rumph was intense when his players weren't practicing up to his standard, and newcomer Jordan Allen, who lined up offside for a rep after Rumph made him do up-downs for a mistake, and Austin Smith appeared to be receiving the brunt of Rumph's wrath on Thursday.

Most notably, freshman Greg Emerson, who recently moved over from the defensive line, appeared to be getting some work at right tackle as he went after Marcus Tatum in most of the drills on Thursday.

Fellow freshman Jerome Carvin looked to be working some at right guard as he continues to bounce between the guard and tackle spots on the right side of the line.

Redshirt sophomore Ryan Johnson has worked across the line this spring and looked to be at left guard on Thursday.

K'Rojhn Calbert and Nathan Niehaus worked at left guard and left tackle, respectively.

Offensive lineman Chance Hall was among the group of players working out on the side again on Thursday after he appeared to be absent on Tuesday, but Tennessee had a couple more players working with strength coach Craig Fitzgerald.

Linebacker Dillon Bates and tight end Jay Blakely, a former defensive end/outside linebacker, apparently have picked up injuries in recent practices and/or scrimmages.

Blakley wore a protective boot on his right foot.

Todd Kelly Jr., Trey Smith, Devante Brooks and Jauan Jennings also were in the group working out on the side.
p.brown

PHOTOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 39 people
I like that our current coaching staff is hard to please.
The previous staff was too easily satisfied.

Reactions: 5 people
After watching the practice videos all spring, one of the drills that always gets my attention is the dline getting set then sprinting to the sidelines to hit the tackling dummy. You can really see the level of effort in that. Kongbo, Phillips and Tuttle have seemed to go 100% in every one of them and you can tell when they do it compared to some of the backups. I'm pretty confident in the starting dline and hoping their effort will rub off on the rest of them so we build some depth.

Reactions: 7 people
After watching the practice videos all spring, one of the drills that always gets my attention is the dline getting set then sprinting to the sidelines to hit the tackling dummy. You can really see the level of effort in that. Kongbo, Phillips and Tuttle have seemed to go 100% in every one of them and you can tell when they do it compared to some of the backups. I'm pretty confident in the starting dline and hoping their effort will rub off on the rest of them so we build some depth.

I agree I see the difference too, we need that effort 3 deep

Reactions: 1 person
Curious to know...so hard on certain players because they have real potential or because they need to be gone?

Curious to know...so hard on certain players because they have real potential or because they need to be gone?

Good coaches are hardest on the ones they expect the most out of. So I would say because they have real potential. One of the benefits of that approach is if they can't handle it, then they don't have the right mentality and they need to be gone and you find out sooner than if you coddle them.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks Fingers......Just Saying!!!
:)

picture.php

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people

Real potential imo. If they stop coaching them hard, that’s when the players should be concerned that the coaches have “given up” on them

VN Store

Back