Pruitt on the Spring Game!

EricberryFAN

GO VOLS MAN!
I know as Vol fans we have been through a lot and are just wanting to start winning. The reality of it is, that it's going to take a lot to get us to where we want to be. Let's do our part and show up at the game if you can, find a way. Go Vols. See you guys Saturday!

[Twitter]http://twitter.com/MichaelWBratton/status/986435885074911242?s=19[/twitter]

Reactions: 2 people
For those who can't see the message:

"We have an opportunity, and when I got the job, one of the first things few talked about was, it's going to take everybody to get Tennessee football back to the way it's supposed to be, "Pruitt said, reflecting on his introductory press conference in December. "When I say everybody, I mean everybody. So, everybody that considers themselves a Tennessee fan, it's going to take us all, and the first way to demonstrate that is showing up for the spring game. The passion for it. So, I expect our fan base to be there. We need it as a football team, we need it as a football program. Obviously, it helps in recruiting, when you look and you see 102,000 people for a spring game, that sends a message to recruits about how important spring football is at Tennessee, and how much football is important in general."

-Jeremy Pruitt

Reactions: 3 people
For those who can't see the message:

"We have an opportunity, and when I got the job, one of the first things few talked about was, it's going to take everybody to get Tennessee football back to the way it's supposed to be, "Pruitt said, reflecting on his introductory press conference in December. "When I say everybody, I mean everybody. So, everybody that considers themselves a Tennessee fan, it's going to take us all, and the first way to demonstrate that is showing up for the spring game. The passion for it. So, I expect our fan base to be there. We need it as a football team, we need it as a football program. Obviously, it helps in recruiting, when you look and you see 102,000 people for a spring game, that sends a message to recruits about how important spring football is at Tennessee, and how much football is important in general."

-Jeremy Pruitt
A little late isn't it?

Block out media where fans can get little to know info and then, "we need you."

A little late isn't it?

We have no reason to know everything. You wouldn’t like Saban either. I would rather win with no inside info than what we have been going thru the last decade. Guess you want Jones back so you can lick up what Griffith is pissing.

Reactions: 14 people
Let everyone 18 and younger in free - they'll all buy a coke, hot dog and a hat - charge $5 for everyone else and have a real football game - sans kickoff returns (this appears to be fixed) Before and after the game let the kids on the field for autographs and to meet the players. Use the spring game to build your next generation of fans

A little late isn't it?

While perfectly I’m fine with Pruitt “blocking out the media”, being beyond tight-lipped with discussing players and such and being generally secretive with most everything this spring, I agree with your general thought here........can’t do that, and then suddenly a week before ask for 102k at the Spring game. Can’t have it both ways imo, and unfortunately, he’s not gonna get it. I’d guess he’s gonna get, at best, 1/2 the number of fans he wants on Saturday.....which, given the ish this fan base has been put through over and over again the last decade, especially the last year and a half, would be a remarkable turnout imho.

Reactions: 1 person
While perfectly I’m fine with Pruitt “blocking out the media”, being beyond tight-lipped with discussing players and such and being generally secretive with most everything this spring, I agree with your general thought here........can’t do that, and then suddenly a week before ask for 102k at the Spring game. Can’t have it both ways imo, and unfortunately, he’s not gonna get it. I’d guess he’s gonna get, at best, 1/2 the number of fans he wants on Saturday.....which, given the ish this fan base has been put through over and over again the last decade, especially the last year and a half, would be a remarkable turnout imho.

i think people are making too much of it. there's a lot of people that planned on going regardless (like me), and this will get some more to go...especially the relative local folks.

i think generally, the fan base is excited about all the changes taking place, even those that don't follow things as closely as most of us do.

now, i don't expect 90k or anything. but i really wouldn't be surprised to see 50/60k show up.

it's going to be a great day, and you start checking around, and there's people travelling in for it.

i booked my room a couple weeks ago, but you start checking for rooms, just for Saturday night, and all the IHG downtown hotels are sold out except the Holiday Inn, and they're not allowing anyone to use points to book anymore...so availability is low.

on Hilton properties, the hilton garden inn on cumberland is sold out (friday and saturday night) and the hilton and hampton inn/suites are both about sold out.

and there's probably a lot of people that are just going to drive in and out same day from the surrounding area...couple hours (chattanooga, cookeville, asheville, the tri cities etc...)...of course, no way to predict that really....

but, it may be a better crowd than some think....:thumbsup:

If you consider yourself a fan, be there if you can.

He knows we all got stuff going on. Some can make it some can't. If we can't get 10% of out fanbase to show up Saturday, well that's on us.

I plan around stuff like this. I use PTO. There's at most 17 football events each year 19 if you count all three NSD celebrations.

When the planets line up and I can go. I go. It will be fun for the kids.

I think I will sit behind the offense and cheer for the defense the 1st half, then walk over to the other side and pull for the offense.

We should Checker Neyland for the O&W game. That would make a statement. And it looks so cool.

Go Vols!

Who do you want to win?

Offense or defense?

Thats true in the general sense regarding the media, but if he's gonna make a public announcement to the fans for attendance he's not gonna ask for 51k (or whatever they may expect) to show up. Regardless of how many will or won't show.

Thats true in the general sense regarding the media, but if he's gonna make a public announcement to the fans for attendance he's not gonna ask for 51k (or whatever they may expect) to show up. Regardless of how many will or won't show.

Of course not. Just think that if they truly thought it was important to get Neyland Stadium full for the spring game that they’d have put together a better “campaign” to do sooner, that began several weeks ago, really promote it. Then, they’d have had a chance to get there. If they’d have begun a “fill Neyland” promotion say back in February or even early March and had said we want a capacity crowd, we want to set an attendance record, I think it would’ve happened.

That said, they could cancel the Spring game and just hold a normal practice for all I care, especially if Pruitt came out and said that would be better for the team, would help them get closer to the goal of winning games in the fall.

Finally, I like how Pruitt’s gone about coaching this team....head down, focused on coaching, not doing any of the dog and pony stuff. It’s almost as though he’s been so focused on doing nothing but getting this team coached up that he looked up and said “damn, the O&W game is next week? Dang, guess we better ask the fans to come out to Neyland on Saturday.....”

Of course not. Just think that if they truly thought it was important to get Neyland Stadium full for the spring game that they’d have put together a better “campaign” to do sooner, that began several weeks ago, really promote it. Then, they’d have had a chance to get there. If they’d have begun a “fill Neyland” promotion say back in February or even early March and had said we want a capacity crowd, we want to set an attendance record, I think it would’ve happened.

That said, they could cancel the Spring game and just hold a normal practice for all I care, especially if Pruitt came out and said that would be better for the team, would help them get closer to the goal of winning games in the fall.

Finally, I like how Pruitt’s gone about coaching this team....head down, focused on coaching, not doing any of the dog and pony stuff. It’s almost as though he’s been so focused on doing nothing but getting this team coached up that he looked up and said “damn, the O&W game is next week? Dang, guess we better ask the fans to come out to Neyland on Saturday.....”
A real fan wouldn't have be 'sold' on coming.

Reactions: 4 people
A real fan wouldn't have be 'sold' on coming.

Did you just play the “real fan” card? Dang, didn’t see that coming.

It’s a meaningless spring game Jake. Also, quite honestly, I’d guess a whole lotta “real fans” are “emotionally spent” at the moment, especially after the Dooley era, Jones era, and the ridiculously stupid AD and head coach hires in the last year and a half where the “powers that be” at Tennessee essentially told the fan base to go pound sand. Bet a bunch of us a cautiously optimistic, are hopeful, are even praying Pruitt is the right guy.....but are kinda in wait and see mode.

Me personally, will be celebrating my 24th wedding anniversary with my lovely bride this weekend, won’t be making the 3-hour trip to Knoxville, will have to DVR and watch the “game” at a later date. Hopefully you “real fans” can hold down the fort for us 45 year Tennessee Vols football bandwagonners

Reactions: 4 people
It looks like the weather is going to be nice. 70 degrees, partly cloudy. I will be there with about 8 more people.

VN Store

Back