Volunteers latest scrimmage shows early improvement throughout roster

KBVol

http://gridironnow.com/volunteers-scrimmage-shows-early-improvement-throughout-roster/

A snippet or two...

-Receiving well over 50 percent of the “first-team” reps at the quarterback position, Jarrett Guarantano connected on scoring strikes to both Marquez Callaway and Brandon Johnson – arguably the Vols’ two most consistent wideouts through the first dozen sessions.

-Also apparent was solid pass protection observers explaine. The “first string” offensive line included Nathan Niehaus, true freshman midyear-enrollee Jerome Carvin, Brian Garvey, Ryan Johnson and Drew Richmond.

-Defensively, Quarte Sapp had what two different people described as perhaps his best practice to date, making several plays and recovering a fumble.

-Alontae Taylor and Marquill Osborne both opened up work last Saturday as the first-team cornerbacks, and Shawn Shamburger has continued to be coached very intently and personally by Pruitt, who is noted nationally for his reputation to develop defensive backs.

-Another reality that stood out to multiple onlookers? The constant coaching and teaching from Pruitt and his coaching staff as well as the improved physicality of the Tennessee players.

“No microphones, no yelling … teaching, coaching,” said one person.

Reactions: 30 people
http://gridironnow.com/volunteers-scrimmage-shows-early-improvement-throughout-roster/

A snippet or two...

-Receiving well over 50 percent of the “first-team” reps at the quarterback position, Jarrett Guarantano connected on scoring strikes to both Marquez Callaway and Brandon Johnson – arguably the Vols’ two most consistent wideouts through the first dozen sessions.

-Also apparent was solid pass protection observers explaine. The “first string” offensive line included Nathan Niehaus, true freshman midyear-enrollee Jerome Carvin, Brian Garvey, Ryan Johnson and Drew Richmond.

-Defensively, Quarte Sapp had what two different people described as perhaps his best practice to date, making several plays and recovering a fumble.

-Alontae Taylor and Marquill Osborne both opened up work last Saturday as the first-team cornerbacks, and Shawn Shamburger has continued to be coached very intently and personally by Pruitt, who is noted nationally for his reputation to develop defensive backs.

-Another reality that stood out to multiple onlookers? The constant coaching and teaching from Pruitt and his coaching staff as well as the improved physicality of the Tennessee players.

Thanks for posting, KB. What is everyone’s take on Taylor at CB? The dude is rangy and very athletic, and I think fits the mold physically of what we are looking for. One thing is for certain, this staff isn’t afraid to fit the players into the positions that will most benefit the team. A breath of fresh air for sure.

Reactions: 6 people
read the article early this morning. I like the write up it gives u more details of the scrimmage

Absolutely LOVE This!!! :rock::rock::rock:

Reactions: 1 person
"throughout roster.". My new best friend.

Who are these "people"?

I hope they know what they are talking about.

It looks like I'm in on the O&W game. I always plan to be there, but here lately it hasn't been working out. Maybe it will this year.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
Love the coaching part.

Jones was an inept coach. I feel sorry for the players that came thru here during his time.

Reactions: 3 people

A snippet or two...

1)I wasn't even not sure who Brian Garvey, R-So. was...had to look him up on the roster.

2) I can see Taylor and Osborne as starting CBs and Shamburger emerging as another Gaulden prototype at NB.

3) Coaching should never end. There are always opportunities to learn.

Last edited:
If last season is any indicator, we're going to have a huge lot of fun watching young Mr. Shamburger play football these next two-to-three years. I'm excited for our defensive backfield largely because I know (know!) he's better than the reports we're hearing about our DBs.

If he's really awesome (and last year says he is), but we're hearing nothing positive, maybe it's just that we're hearing nothing positive. KnowwutImean?

Reactions: 4 people
Though improving, really wish we had one of the QB's lighting it up. If the rest of roster plays solid fundamentals being taught, which "should" get us to 6 wins...the only way for us to over achieve this year is to have one of the QB's to surprise us. Teams with better than average QB play hide alot of other sins.

Wait , what ? This can’t be true . We have a freak out thread going So we don’t have time for an improvement thread that’s so blatantly positive . My emotions man , playing with them you should stop . 🤔

I’m guessing Alontae Taylor is officially playing defense... his twitter Bio says CB at the University Of Tennessee

Wait , what ? This can’t be true . We have a freak out thread going So we don’t have time for an improvement thread that’s so blatantly positive . My emotions man , playing with them you should stop . 🤔

Yeah, man, like where's my lithium? Roller coaster bipolar city...

Seriously though - thanks KBVol - nice to finally get a positive spin on the team's progress.

Hopin and prayin a fullback who is skilled in blocking on run plays and pass plays, can catch a ball, unselfish anointed with the spirit of the servant, appears to lead our RB through the to the checkerboards.

Reactions: 1 person
Hopin and prayin a fullback who is skilled in blocking on run plays and pass plays, can catch a ball, unselfish anointed with the spirit of the servant, appears to lead our RB through the to the checkerboards.

Yes, we have been missing this element.

Shades of Mose Phillips? :)

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back