Vols' Phillips hoping to redefine college career as senior

weallvol

“This is my last chance.”

It might have hit Tennessee defensive lineman Kyle Phillips when a reporter asked him about it last week.

“Oh, man, I really didn’t want to think about that,” Phillips said with the big grin that never seems to leave his face.
“I mean, the time is dwindling down. The pressure is building up. It’s just knowing that I need to give my all these last few months that I’m here.

“I believe that I can do a lot with this coaching staff moving forward. I believe I can do a lot to help this team win.”...

... Phillips, as usual, claims to be taking all of it in stride and trying to walk the sunnier side of the street.

“I believe that that’s what sports is,” Phillips said. “I mean, sports is about adjustments, and I believe that we’ve been prepared for that since we’ve been here at the University of Tennessee. Every year is gonna be something different — new people around the building every year. I believe that’s really prepared us.

“I believe that, yeah, it’s a different change, but I think it’ll be fine.”

Phillips has always been a popular figure among coaches and teammates. The soft-spoken son of Tennessee State athletic director Teresa Phillips has established himself as a lead-by-example presence in the locker room and the community. No one questions his commitment to the cause. Who could? He routinely produces one of the team’s highest GPAs, spent time volunteering in Vietnam last summer as part of the VOLeaders Academy and always clocks in a full shift in the weight room and practice field.

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-football-Former-five-star-prospect-Kyle-Phillips-hoping-to-redefine-college-career-with-big-senior-season-117395331

Edit: sorry I cannot get the link to work

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
Really like Kyle, really hopes he’s like a lot of Tennessee seniors in our program history that hadn’t done a whole lot until their last season....and then had a great senior season. Kyle strikes me as a hard-working, high character young man. Really hope he blows up and has a special year in 2018.

Reactions: 5 people
Started off good as a freshman. Not sure what happened. Injury issues.

Has a world of talent.

...."Injuries, position changes, staff changes and other factors — including being buried behind players like All-American Derek Barnett on the depth chart — have conspired to make Phillips’ first few seasons memorable for mostly the wrong reasons"...

Reactions: 2 people
Stay in that training room, Work out like you never have before, eat like a crazed tiger, perfect yourself utilizing every day and every tool at your disposal, " give your all" every day!! Bigger, Stronger, Faster, Meaner!! Get Pizzed off and stay that way till January...

Reactions: 2 people
Started off good as a freshman. Not sure what happened. Injury issues.

Has a world of talent.

Shoulder injuries are the worst, no lifting of any kind for approx. 2 months after surgery , then very very limited.. He had 2 separate shoulder injuries that prevented any winter workouts as best as I recall.

Reactions: 3 people
It is a lot of pressure to put on a kid to play at this level. So many things are out of there control all the kid really can do is his best. Most of the time coaches do not get it out of them but I get sick at my stomach thinking about playing or hell doing anything for that matter in front of 100k people.

I think sometime we lose sight of the fact that these kids are only 18 to 21 years old..... Lord have mercy on me for what I was doing at that age....

Reactions: 1 person
He has shown flashes. If he can put it all together and the injuries behind him, he'll be a solid player for us.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back