Some feedback on Saturday scrimmage..

Evergrenevol

Lux et Veritas
Offense:

The offense was 50/50 good and bad. A lot of mental mistakes on the day by the offense. The receivers again had way too many drops. Callaway had a good day as did Josh Palmer. Tyler Byrd made a good catch and run.

Guarantano played equally good and bad. While he completed on some deep routes, and was relatively accurate on the day, he’s still hanging on to the ball way too long. If he wasn’t wearing the black jersey, he would have been sacked or blown-up easily 4-5 times. The OLine was being overpowered, out-quicked, and was innefective against stunts.. McBride wasn't sharp today, and again a lot of it was because he was running behind the 2nd team offensive line.

Defense:

Tuttle, Taylor and Phillips looked good at times. The linebackers looked to be gaining confidence and comfort with their assignments. The D appeared to have gotten the “pop” memo, because there were some good licks being applied.

The secondary, especially corners have a long way to go...

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
Offense:

The offense was 50/50 good and bad. A lot of mental mistakes on the day by the offense. The receivers again had way too many drops. Callaway had a good day as did Josh Palmer. Tyler Byrd made a good catch and run.

Guarantano played equally good and bad. While he completed on some deep routes, and was relatively accurate on the day, he’s still hanging on to the ball way too long. If he wasn’t wearing the black jersey, he would have been sacked or blown-up easily 4-5 times. The OLine was being overpowered, out-quicked, and was innefective against stunts.. McBride wasn't sharp today, and again a lot of it was because he was running behind the 2nd team offensive line.

Defense:

Tuttle, Taylor and Phillips looked good at times. The linebackers looked to be gaining confidence and comfort with their assignments. The D appeared to have gotten the “pop” memo, because there were some good licks being applied.

The secondary, especially corners have a long way to go...
thanks. seems like we're right where we started. O line and CB's...need 'em. fast.

Reactions: 3 people
"The receivers again had way too many drops".

This is a consistent refrain. Prepare for another year of facing 8-9 defenders in the box.

Reactions: 5 people
Our CB’s better be training their butts off if they don’t want to get burned by WVU’s pass happy offense.

Reactions: 4 people
"The receivers again had way too many drops".

This is a consistent refrain. Prepare for another year of facing 8-9 defenders in the box.

you didn't think it would be any different than that did you??? lol. once dobbs was gone, and heck, even when he was here (with less success mind you) the defensive game plan against TN is stop the run and make the qb beat you.

until we prove we can do that, at least some, that's going to continue to be the plan.

i do expect this staff to be more stubborn with the run game though.

Reactions: 4 people
I think a lot of those drops not coming from our main core wr's . Long as Brandon, Callaway, and Palmer not dropping the ball I think we will be fine

I'm beginning to wonder if we have RB's or a running game?..

that's the sad part. i think we have some pretty good talent at the skill positions, and at RB, i think we do have some good talent with chandler, jordan and banks. throw in the grad transfer from Mich St, and it's probably pretty darn good all in all.

WR, same, minus the grand transfer.

but w/out an o line....makes it difficult for any of that to matter. if this o line winds up being what we fear, then you'd have to have bonafide difference makers at those other skill spots, and while i think the talent is pretty darn good, i don't know that we have 'that' type of guy(s)---and i'm talking legit heisman trophy candidate type of difference maker.

bottom line, we just need the o line to be ok. they don't have to be great. they don't have to be all conf performaners. they just need to stay healthy and not suck out loud...

is that too much to ask?:eek:lol:

Reactions: 5 people
CB seems like a different issue. Develop the best you can and recruit better.

agreed. not sure what we can do there to be honest. you know they're trying different things, just haven't seen any of it take.

but hey, if you get good safety play, and the front 7 is good, you can manage it. but kind of like the O line, would it be too much to ask to just "not suck"?:p

Reactions: 1 person
Thought Byrd was on Defense now.

he was tried...apparently it didn't work, so he's back at wr...Coach Pruitt is trying everything he can to try to seal the leaks in the secondary...gonna be tough...and,

GO VOLS!

Did you expect anything else concerning the O-line?

The O-line has been an issue for the past four years, Jones recruited good talent - he just could/would not develop through great coaching and S&C program. CWF will need a Jack Daniels IV drip after every game for the next couple of seasons.

S&C, great recruiting and solid coaching is the only cure.

GBO

I hope the summer brings some much needed development and some transfer help. Sounds like the only way to solve this is recruiting and development. Hopefully with a coach that has been in many successful programs, he can actually develop players after they come to TN!

I am glad we are hearing good things from both sides. On the radio earlier it was said JG had a really solid game but the corner on the right side got picked on. These coaches will figure it out. Most of the spring games that I watched this weekend had the exact story lines. Some good things, and some not so good things.

Another year of not being able to sustain drives on offense. We might keep it close in the first half of some games, but when the defense is gassed it will get ugly. Gonna be a rough season.

Reactions: 3 people
Scrimmages are always hard to judge. If the offense does bad, doesn’t that just credit the defense and vice versa? Either way, your units are getting reps, hopefully against quality competition.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back